June 2016 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys - deleted a few posts - get ticked at me if you want - shoot me a PM.

Lets keep on topic :)

In the mail hopefully here soon
Is a 13/16" kikuokan

4925347e4f369770d39401e2b07c432c.jpg
b7e5e15370183bc565ed8a14ef9bc34f.jpg
fe66a3d60eca1677143f9b21cba2bb9c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
cZcFyzuPTwrHeDxH89ybPU-g1vSYXh-Uh656n__G7YiHrp2nHb-XKcDR-EMSnZKkXrAULokhBkrPMwMryuJ7MGfx_nwsLYIPTWGF7XfSq2_DBTjglVI3L0rTH9bOXx7miYh16kRxWOKATic_Q2LE3uK4R3VWL_79AFaJtEp-xF9dLDm6pD0jeemgHJbngYbnlPrv5J1czullXyZxmJEOvXrZpfFsoswRV7CYiiVZFZr45-JrYJRY7uWxVeQPuox7O22M5iAEHeNF4Kh8o6K3W95TTkt6qSToV1HTYkJfuOp-35u0nT_TI1c03Ak0HDJo4449KzKJXR5nhasjUuNbm76tVC2Y1U-T-jeTiYqYs4KYGunKF9gfhU3tHaetQrozd3x0dbt4h1i9X5Y2VYjeizsHEr4McmZ-o8sjtYpkyp3XARvTIl-_q1AyZdRZsLlpTlDk6GSTXzKSzZMLiXNfRyDDyn3pLqlnKwu0ac469MY6oos7OSM6gPNYJeUUwPRW2MDZSLvONY9uaTtp6Sj64d9IuVm3FLgZE_PWt3BU87t6aSVdLRkMs7_3PKDHwIyk2eG5HNXLStTUjVN-dHyDRCOjVWghoLo=w868-h318-no

tbteA_N37NuUnZl42a534VyfArF-vfdLUgOALjmrtSw9JWtv2fI4Dh_M3y0YmFcIORAnH6SlNK_X_HoW3xhhfrQpQ-hAURh1uMhTSavzLr4qLHXiuAKAFINF9ciQA1QeqfcL8GD-rt6uhfsGN5OAuttfXw6pbWmTyBfl-fTcstRf6Z727TcrOLyD22FonS4C6EmdWfpRWMLxjTZzVfohHHMfVzKd75-sDRtEYAm1y6O-bjwqZdACu_sKOl9KuzIt83k6tb5DmbPaFWl_xMCiJN_CeRaF7ecx0z2DELLcbVlVtOi0ZrmIBVbCgkv4gmo0A0fowmJwrKQ5juE0OCKRj4wCJPcH3uLST99O0eZpQUExaNZQA7jrFeM95DTzlaIpxZebXqz-gQeCGV3fNweiI8PSI8Ryux2zRbqWH8lcXoasP3VlSeO2sasWaqIMINHpups-RWsXc83ukX7r_nbAl9Fq9BPKcGV9AhYwpS_VHM_P_CvkFyqY2a7WpBE7HKIfzQTL-WYnt1fi5VzyVFMHYCyX35VO2-oQb78djkXBK--DXC8FQ7TJuclYiQmQva4QOnKDorA9C_pwjuMhEbGfW4rW2IjTrIs=w1394-h780-no

I do like my Postie - he brought me this today :

• Suminigashi straight razor 13/16.
  • Curved blade, full hollow grind.
  • White G10 scales with a turquoise wedge (not in photo)
  • Very sensible user adjustable Torx screw instead of a traditional pin attaching the blade to the scales.
The razor was custom made for me by Gergely Horvath (HG Razors) in Budapest, Hungary.

Within minutes of making my previous post here, there was a ring on the doorbell and it was my local Aus Post courier (I like him too ;)) with a package from France. This is what he brought :

snnZc2RsKNt1l_2yoTVXBJCctEWhbuB5-NNeL3vDYYpRuQIDpgE5ppb6eERGxefXUF9ip8KYe2vZ6czoBzWrLjPbgsaMa43OkCtZF4x_G9Szk2QRHp0WAqSthjwLoGqLlNYcgf4pF1eXzJtRiXn1yvV_pe8yGanygEjD33-DOdD4hOhM4t71bn8r5d1J55FDh5bIQTAWbHpgo4c7SiJXc60oewf3X373hpEsrx0rai3NjeNhxF1IltpX77XopGe4eNIIYvwpIP9ENsPUOlDZxILhiCDQcWNpkH69EiDrlHE5OkCyIZrxpCM6K8OP-NbL-z5XeikHMYfoIWn9ik5so2vCZeJSZNF7OEIyPEKxgYX3Vd3Dn4u2CARy2elBzjj8VvwZHrMiMmwpOp0PObYycdlUHSiB6DLcxc16aP2hwlZ56-lPLI1Mckq8NaDj9avsiKngIBr0bXwsyhzsUSNDB_iaoutmpRNimUZCaAZNPd0YWPZkaetkCqH8jSYYCg7TxsjR6PZ55BxgOTPVssVNhVhunKJxpEvUeHYN4QqBk62rpqOqiTYCFX5pfzpoXAbOePumeerhEKFKrdl-aXOwc77iNOBEqEc=w804-h408-no

mHTrgm1k5A3qWpwtZJ9EICPbGX-heUG1ZofDJXQxRGk53SAs3wjNW7e0jE6NiRYdC2eLKZYoHgnt8YSQc5SDb8eeThU5SaDvwhzl6HB5bLNE2X7M2Oh75tT2PwAt2aT-_1u0qwLatrwKMyckusODiTiuQ8SOpla4K6P-hTdGBsO7fLPQZSa-hOrsLv2WT10vtRd5h6K6WeFyH08JCDKBErka1XOjp8lkExrFtbA3GPOOsGlj31dfBzRc_hHtA8oYWb6c59qkBDb42R0BmoGqzCqnG_cOOlkpnZkPoUSNiuNrgjB1thk7NLxP7X393dOpIjcpjY8pcUgZPav2MJBHYPujbC24ES36de1DgQ6JeEWp1IWCwxmolsGr0w8gMLEkS9H0eQIJHhmRbqp8frjQY3aUmXEzpgvomJ2J4kIgkYDygATAFwgQ1mYe5YCJeih5JaNwJjoNhBffccXmGcJMi6PtYGhSAgjuyiQf-vXLozyJ_0HcSqjV7mlQKqOjKEcCGJOug7qcw2xshFIB7mJnzbvxrPt9KT5R8DjmODegk3isLPetfVa8CbNsM9xkGJO-vuVwLZKkS8bb8LLloLvySuFjKO51ky8=w1278-h825-no

It's called a Raptor 54mm and was made by Ali's Blade (Cedric Christ) in France. The short blade should make it a real little hotrod. My shaves are decided for the next few days :)

What a great mail day @Draco Noir, both unique and beautiful in their own ways! Can't wait till I get to see them in person. (y)

Is a 13/16" kikuokan

Lovely piece, @Substance, well done.

I have a KikuOkan 77 too, but mine has cream coloured scales - nowhere near the bling of yours! I can tell you though, it's a beautiful shaver and keeps an edge for ages. The steel is hardish, so I find it needs a little more work on the stones. Worth it though :)

BTW I must compliment you on your new self-made razor. What a great achievement, I'm a bit envious :whistle: I hope it brings you pleasure and great shaves for many years to come (y)

Yesterday's mail call courtesy of @FatBoy58 was my first badger brush being the very imposing Wee Scot! :ROFLMAO:

Today I received this beautiful Japanese Natural Stone - Ozuku with the matching Tomo Nagura from @Mark. He was also kind enough to throw in the razor so I had something decent to practise honing with. Now I just need to book in with @Draco Noir so I can get my first honing lesson :)

IMG_20160623_090303891.jpg

Yesterday's mail call courtesy of @FatBoy58 was my first badger brush being the very imposing Wee Scot! :ROFLMAO:

Today I received this beautiful Japanese Natural Stone - Ozuku with the matching Tomo Nagura from @Mark. He was also kind enough to throw in the razor so I had something decent to practise honing with. Now I just need to book in with @Draco Noir so I can get my first honing lesson :)

Well done on the Wee Scot @saku39 - you're going to love that little guy. It's like the Tardis of shaving brushes. The Ozuko stone looks beautiful (thanks @Mark). That was great of him to give you a razor worth practising on - it will help enormously.

Nice work my friend. Top choices all round.
Be warned... HAD is real and with Jnat's, EXPENSIVE! At least for me that's a good thing. I spend enough time look at stones deciding which I shall buy but have bought none (other than my first) due to the cost!

Is a 13/16" kikuokan

The white on the side of the scales. It that just light reflection or is there white there. Looks maybe that the wedge is exposed....

Last edited by a moderator:
@Draco Noir, I remembered how you and others had mentioned how good the Wee Scot was despite its small stature so when it came up I jumped all over it.

@Sxot I already have a bad case of SAD, RAD and BAD so I figured I might as well add HAD to the list! They are expensive so I'm very greatful to have both @Draco Noir and @Mark for guidance and @Mark was also very generously looking after me cost wise.

Luckily I didn't get into wet shaving thinking it would save me money though I didn't anticipate it becoming a hobby and spending so much on it either.

I already have @Mark on the hunt to organise so more stones for me too!

@Draco Noir, I remembered how you and others had mentioned how good the Wee Scot was despite its small stature so when it came up I jumped all over it.

@Sxot I already have a bad case of SAD, RAD and BAD so I figured I might as well add HAD to the list! They are expensive so I'm very greatful to have both @Draco Noir and @Mark for guidance and @Mark was also very generously looking after me cost wise.

Luckily I didn't get into wet shaving thinking it would save me money though I didn't anticipate it becoming a hobby and spending so much on it either.

More stones!! What are you after?

Wonderful! Welcome to the dark side my friend. This is where it all starts. Now just waiting for @Draco Noir to witness it in person just to make him jealous! ;)

You were SAD because you HAD BAD RAD?

My recent blade purchase from France has turned into a bit of a nightmare.
The initial problem was of my own making. I didn't notice that the seller didn't offer PayPal as a payment option, thinking that they had to.
So several Google translated messages later the seller advised me that it was now set up and I could pay him by PayPal. Sure enough, went to the auction on eBay and there was a request to pay, and the option to use PayPal. So I paid him.
A week later I get a bit of a snotty message asking why I hadn't paid to which I replied with screenshots showing that I had, but that he just hadn't claimed it.
More translated messages went back and forth between us until I get a message indicating that I should now be able to pay.
Cancelled the original pending payment, and tried again but had the same problem.
Then read his email again but nor closely this time. The seller had associated the wrong email address on eBay, meaning that when I paid via the usual manner it was always going to the wrong person.
I has to cancel the payment again, and then made a payment for goods and services.
To top it all off I paid him $40 by mistake, instead of €40. So have has to name a second payment. And this time because I've already paid him for goods and services I couldn't pay any other way for the remainder, so I presume I am going to be got for another dollar or two.

Sometimes buying vintage blades can be difficult.

My recent blade purchase from France has turned into a bit of a nightmare.
The initial problem was of my own making. I didn't notice that the seller didn't offer PayPal as a payment option, thinking that they had to.
So several Google translated messages later the seller advised me that it was now set up and I could pay him by PayPal. Sure enough, went to the auction on eBay and there was a request to pay, and the option to use PayPal. So I paid him.
A week later I get a bit of a snotty message asking why I hadn't paid to which I replied with screenshots showing that I had, but that he just hadn't claimed it.
More translated messages went back and forth between us until I get a message indicating that I should now be able to pay.
Cancelled the original pending payment, and tried again but had the same problem.
Then read his email again but nor closely this time. The seller had associated the wrong email address on eBay, meaning that when I paid via the usual manner it was always going to the wrong person.
I has to cancel the payment again, and then made a payment for goods and services.
To top it all off I paid him $40 by mistake, instead of €40. So have has to name a second payment. And this time because I've already paid him for goods and services I couldn't pay any other way for the remainder, so I presume I am going to be got for another dollar or two.

Sometimes buying vintage blades can be difficult.

Clearly cursed blades. In order to avoid cutting yourself badly using them you must PIF on arrival ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.