Kanayama Strop Instructions: Anyone Actually Do This?

Psmith

Pmember
So since @Rami has a very generous Kanayama strop pass around I thought I'd check them out a little. I came across these instructions for softening the canvas strop. I'm sure that Kanayama strops are amazing, but this made me laugh.
I was put off straights for a long time because of all the faffing about that's involved, but I think this takes it to a whole new level.:D

(taken word for word from the website)

=====How To Make Softer Canvas Strop=====

It is kind of hard work, but if you will try to do it, please do like below:

1. Put on body soap (solid one), and wash it away
  2. Put on the canvas strop on the wood board, and pounding with wooden hammer on the round portion of the wood hammer side to kill the tough fibers.
  3. Washing by brush
  4. Rubbing solid body soap
  5. Washing by brush
  6. Wrapping by Nagura to polish the surface of the canvas strop
  7. Washing by washing machine
  8. Drying at shade a couple days
  9. Putting on body soap by brush
  10. Wrapping by beer bottle strongly

Please do the all above processes three times
:eek::LOL:

Did them twice [emoji28]

Made a difference. However I used a metal mallet and had some damage.

The one for pif i grabbed as used and did not treat anyway. But it's nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only place you will find that info in on aframestokyo web shop. There is much discussion on whether it is required.
I did a treatment on the canvas on mine and yes, it is more pliable now. Would it have damaged an edge before? I don't think so going by the coarseness of other strop materials such as poly.

What I did;
- Remove from strop
- Throw into the wash
- Remove before spin cycle
- Place on smooth concrete floor
- Using a flat faced mini-sledge (size of a regular hammer but heavy and large face) smack the living shit out of it along the entire length.
- Run it over a 30mm diameter steel bar (it goes onto the bar at 12 Oclock, runs around the back, and off again at 6 O'clock - pull back and fourth)
- Hang to dry
- Re-glue leather end cap back on since the glue was not water proof.
- Reinstall onto strop.

Only place you will find that info in on aframestokyo web shop. There is much discussion on whether it is required.
I did a treatment on the canvas on mine and yes, it is more pliable now. Would it have damaged an edge before? I don't think so going by the coarseness of other strop materials such as poly.

What I did;
- Remove from strop
- Throw into the wash
- Remove before spin cycle
- Place on smooth concrete floor
- Using a flat faced mini-sledge (size of a regular hammer but heavy and large face) smack the living shit out of it along the entire length.
- Run it over a 30mm diameter steel bar (it goes onto the bar at 12 Oclock, runs around the back, and off again at 6 O'clock - pull back and fourth)
- Hang to dry
- Re-glue leather end cap back on since the glue was not water proof.
- Reinstall onto strop.

I used a steel mallet and it separated the weave a bit. Only in a couple of spots but very far from the area I strop on.

Last edited by a moderator: