Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I've been meaning to try this soap for a while. It has always had a good reputation around razor forums.

The company's website (in German) here - http://www.klarseifen.de/products/k...-rasierseife-mit-wuerzig-zitrischer-ledernote

Ingredients:
Sodium Cocoate, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Stearate, Aqua, Cocoamidpropyl, Betaine, Soyamide DEA, Parfum, Sodium Chloride, Beta-Alanine Diaecetic Acid, Trisodium Salt, Sodium Hydroxyde, Potassium Hydroxyde, Linalool, Limonen, Benylbenzoate, Coumarin, CI 77891

So it is a non-tallow based soap...

The scent is allegedly 'a masculine combination of spice and leather'.

The review will follow my standard format borrowed from @silver :)

image20160321-3-1724wbj.jpg

Packaging
The soap comes in a small tin containing 110g of product and if FULL to the brim as you can see in the picture above. Paying more attention to this now I was disappointed with the packaging in terms of ease of use - but glad I had taken a sample for the next PCTB out first - it gave me room to load.

The labelling and styling of their products is very minimalist and clean. The long heritage of the brand (1840 commencement) is acknowledged.

Scent
Clean but comforting! Seriously, I didn't find the scent strong but certainly very pleasant in a nondescript way.

Latherability
OK, here is the test. Start with a fairly dry brush and you get a great lather! Oh I can see why it gets good wraps - this is really nice. Easy enough to lather once you get loaded it produces an ample supply for a three pass shave.

Shave Performance
This is a really good soap with good slickness and glide and a high level of protection. I really cannot fault it.

Post shave feel
My face feels good post shave, clean and nourished with a fresh feel.

Conclusion
I've used some really good soaps recently. This is another. While the packaging was a turn off initially the performance makes up for it. It certainly has a place on the top shelf. If you haven't tried Klars you owe it to yourself to do so. It is a classic for a reason and has a well deserved reputation.

Just a further reminder about my shaving soap hypothesis. It is that there will be some soaps that are 'top shelf' and some that are 'second tier'. As I said, this is a 'second tier' soap. My guess is that between the top shelf soaps differences are likely to be impacted by other factors, including user error. So I would happily recommend all my 'top shelf' soaps to others on the basis that personal 'rankings' might vary a little.

'Second tier' soaps are good and I would not avoid them or recommend against buying them. Scents and other personal factors may make them more desirable for you and indeed your experience in use may be different as well.

I was looking for this. Where did you get it. Locally or overseas?

I got it from somebody on some forum (can't recall which!). Certainly a 'lives up to the hype' soap IMHO.

Hey - Happy shaving :)