Lather Shots

Rarely...the old Haslinger sheep...

I have them grated in a larger tub for exactly that reason

Interesting, I had never thought of bowl lathering as such a black art (and I do both face and bowl with equally good results, except that I can get a bigger helping of lather if I use the bowl. @Nanook might have a point about pressure on the brush (I use quite a bit). So there's no empty space under the brush. Stirring rather than beating like an egg , keeping the brush firmly in contact with the bowl should help... :unsure:
@Gargravarr when bowl lathering do you load the brush off the puck or scrape soap and spread into the bowl?

A new locally produced soap I bought while at the Eumundi Markets on QLD Sunshine Coast.
For this I had scraped the soap with my little spoon and smeared into the bottom of a "Fine" bowl.
miH18Jh.jpg

@Gargravarr when bowl lathering do you load the brush off the puck or scrape soap and spread into the bowl?
I load off the puck. I used to go in for smooshing into the bowl with samples, but found I ended up wasting more soap, so I now smoosh the whole sample into an empty tin and load off that. But both ways work fine to get a good lather.

I reckon you have cured my airy pavlova meringue mix @Gargravarr and hardly a hair shed so I may not have totally destroyed the knot.
Now to keep with P&C Charity month I might have to fill a few of those ridges with knead-it so I can continue to use the Avalon bowl
While an airy meringue appears to be what many vloggers aim for it was not for me.

s6k5T2C.jpg

I reckon you have cured my airy pavlova meringue mix @Gargravarr and hardly a hair shed so I may not have totally destroyed the knot.
Now to keep with P&C Charity month I might have to fill a few of those ridges with knead-it so I can continue to use the Avalon bowl
While an airy meringue appears to be what many vloggers aim for it was not for me.

s6k5T2C.jpg
Great stuff, well done. As long as you are happy with how your lather is working you don't need to worry about satisfying some arbitrary aesthetic defined by some snotty-nosed adolescent somewhere on the internet. You needn't even worry about the sprinkling of air bubbles in your picture: if the bulk of your lather is well laden with water (as it appears to be) and the emulsion doesn't fall apart before you can use it, then you're set. (y)(y)

A new locally produced soap I bought while at the Eumundi Markets on QLD Sunshine Coast.
For this I had scraped the soap with my little spoon and smeared into the bottom of a "Fine" bowl.
miH18Jh.jpg

I've been using Salt Lake soaps for a few years now and honestly believe, they are if not the best soaps I've ever used, they are certainly right up there.

I've been using Salt Lake soaps for a few years now and honestly believe, they are if not the best soaps I've ever used, they are certainly right up there.
I got their Lime and Lemongrass one a while ago and was really looking forward to it. I was quite disappointed at first but realised I was swapping between several different brands. I decided to stick to the one soap for a week and figured out I'd been adding too much water. Once I dialled it in I was very impressed. What I do find interesting is that one time I use it and love the scent, the next time I don't find it as appealing, and then later I find it good again. I've never had that with any other soap.

I got their Lime and Lemongrass one a while ago and was really looking forward to it. I was quite disappointed at first but realised I was swapping between several different brands. I decided to stick to the one soap for a week and figured out I'd been adding too much water. Once I dialled it in I was very impressed. What I do find interesting is that one time I use it and love the scent, the next time I don't find it as appealing, and then later I find it good again. I've never had that with any other soap.

I think Lime and Lemongrass is that kind of scent though. It's too much for several days in a row, but once a month or so, it's enjoyable,

Barrister and Mann Nordost does that to me as well. I use the same soap for a week before changing. With Norsdost, Monday I'm absolutely loving it, Wednesday, I've pretty much had enough, Friday, I'm ready to swear off it for life because it's so sickening.

Testing various bowls and textures to see which ones aerate the lather
Last night was the Timeless Razors plastic bowl and generated some microbubbles if really whipping the lather but not without trying hard.

lK074Uw.jpg

One day I will find one or make one with all the best properties
...or maybe have one made? Surely there must be a potter or two in Darwin? BTW, you seem to have fallen in love with that DC brush over the last few weeks. How did that happen? Tho' it's a lovely brush... :D

...or maybe have one made? Surely there must be a potter or two in Darwin? BTW, you seem to have fallen in love with that DC brush over the last few weeks. How did that happen? Tho' it's a lovely brush... :D
Dedicating this month to P&C Charity items and DC Brush is the only P&C Charity brush in the den. It's also a good length handle for bowl lathering :) (y)

Dedicating this month to P&C Charity items and DC Brush is the only P&C Charity brush in the den. It's also a good length handle for bowl lathering :) (y)
Ah, I hadn't thought of that. Since Mme G confiscated my Captain's Choice "Tempest" bowl to hold garlic on the kitchen bench ( :rolleyes: ), I haven't had to worry about brush matching bowl. My lovely Jilli Spencer bowl has shallow enough sides to take any brush, and the natural irregularities in her coil construction make it just rough/smooth enough to make a fantastic lather.

2019 P&C Charity Auction - Limited Edition Paste & Cut Shaving Bowl (Grey)
2019 P&C Charity Auction - Australian Private Reserve and Noble Otter TEXAUS
From the ashes – Bushfire Collection – Double Ring Boar 30mm
750AjnZ.gif