May 2022 SHAVING Acquisitions

Arrived this morning from that far off and exotic land, Taiwan.

full

Three Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 SRs, two dressed in African ebony timber and the other in Madagascan mahogany timber. One of the ebony SRs will be honed and PIFed, the other ebony will join my stable and the mahogany will be modified to a 17.5° bevel angle and, if that shaves well, I might change its point from Dutch to American or even Spanish.

Once my next Cadman "Bengall" ⅝ SR arrives, I am never going to buy another SR for a while.

Last edited:
Bought for the handle because it reminds me of the Giesen & Forsthoff that I like so much and can PIF the head to a noob and keep the short handled Weishi for myself
Oe3kJzO.png

Rocket HD because it's a vintage Gillete and was good and cheap
cWVf7o8.png

B3 26mm in Smilez for Milez handle - because I have it BAD
wtPJfaK.png

Bought for the handle because it reminds me of the Giesen & Forsthoff that I like so much and can PIF the head to a noob and keep the short handled Weishi for myself
Oe3kJzO.png

Rocket HD because it's a vintage Gillete and was good and cheap
cWVf7o8.png

B3 26mm in Smilez for Milez handle - because I have it BAD
wtPJfaK.png
I knew you would keep the Weishi gunmetal short handle :LOL:

Besides, you’ll LOVE the Rocket HD, glad you’ve got one into your den ;)

Love the beehive handle, you’ll need plenty of honey.

When you are scrabbling around at the back of your soap drawer, and find gold!
I have been nursing my last half-barrette of Valobra Glicerlanolina, and wondering what I was going to use as a pre-shave soap once it was gone, given Valobra have ceased production. Needless to say, the sight below brought a massive smile to my face.
And if you were wondering - Yes, it doubles as a wonderful shave soap.

8uisUtY.jpg

6PlA9LA.jpg

When you are scrabbling around at the back of your soap drawer, and find gold!
I have been nursing my last half-barrette of Valobra Glicerlanolina, and wondering what I was going to use as a pre-shave soap once it was gone, given Valobra have ceased production. Needless to say, the sight below brought a massive smile to my face.
And if you were wondering - Yes, it doubles as a wonderful shave soap.

8uisUtY.jpg

6PlA9LA.jpg

Do these lather exactly like the shave soap?
The ingredients look very similar.

As a pre shave, do you lather with hands then wash it off prior to applying lather?

Reactions: Hos
Do these lather exactly like the shave soap?
The ingredients look very similar.

As a pre shave, do you lather with hands then wash it off prior to applying lather?
Lather from the barrette is slightly different to the shaving soap - slickness similar, but the glicerlanolina is lower profile. I apply the bar to my face generously, then lather by hand until I can feel that I’ve reached the right slickness and the beard has softened. I then massage particularly into my problem areas, which for me are neck and jowls. I then rinse off with water as hot as I can handle (I shave mainly in the shower), apply emulsion (Myrsol or Alt Innsbruck), and leave this to work on the beard further whilst I lather up my shaving soap or cream. I experimented with many pre-shave products and routines over a 3-4 year period before finding that the current set-up is optimum for my skin and beard. Each person is different, so I encourage new wet shavers to experiment until they find what works best for them.
And you never stop learning - this has been my favoured prep for a couple of years now, but that is not to say that I won’t find further improvements in the future.

Lather from the barrette is slightly different to the shaving soap - slickness similar, but the glicerlanolina is lower profile. I apply the bar to my face generously, then lather by hand until I can feel that I’ve reached the right slickness and the beard has softened. I then massage particularly into my problem areas, which for me are neck and jowls. I then rinse off with water as hot as I can handle (I shave mainly in the shower), apply emulsion (Myrsol or Alt Innsbruck), and leave this to work on the beard further whilst I lather up my shaving soap or cream. I experimented with many pre-shave products and routines over a 3-4 year period before finding that the current set-up is optimum for my skin and beard. Each person is different, so I encourage new wet shavers to experiment until they find what works best for them.
And you never stop learning - this has been my favoured prep for a couple of years now, but that is not to say that I won’t find further improvements in the future.
Interesting, I hadn't picked you for a shave-in-shower kind of guy. :LOL: I couldn't do that, head&face take too long, and water supplies would become a serious issue unless I were to turn the tap off, in which case I would freeze to death... :rolleyes:

Interesting, I hadn't picked you for a shave-in-shower kind of guy. :LOL: I couldn't do that, head&face take too long, and water supplies would become a serious issue unless I were to turn the tap off, in which case I would freeze to death... :rolleyes:
I have a engineering/scientific background, and for me at least, the empirical evidence was overwhelming that shower shaving delivered better shaves. I solve the temperature and water consumption issues by having the bathroom at a warm temperature, and reducing water flow to the bare minimum for blade and face rinsing. A good quality fog-free wall shaving mirror is essential.
Even if I do a hot towel prep after a hot shower, a basin shave cannot compete with a in-situ shower shave for me. Of course, everyone has their own preferences - this is simply what works best for me.

I have a engineering/scientific background, and for me at least, the empirical evidence was overwhelming that shower shaving delivered better shaves. I solve the temperature and water consumption issues by having the bathroom at a warm temperature, and reducing water flow to the bare minimum for blade and face rinsing. A good quality fog-free wall shaving mirror is essential.
Even if I do a hot towel prep after a hot shower, a basin shave cannot compete with a in-situ shower shave for me. Of course, everyone has their own preferences - this is simply what works best for me.
I have a feeling we should have made this a dedicated Pre-Shave Thread. We probably need one anyway. :unsure:

My pre-shave is a work in progress with a focus toward a technologically minimalist approach (although I have degrees in mechanical engineering and more recently in biotech). I start with a flannel soaked in water as hot as I can stand (this often means using the kettle to bypass that $¿°©ing tempering valve the local plumbing codes insisted I install on my wood-fired water system) while I take plenty of time to load my brush. I then rub a bit of good ol' Pears transparent soap into my stubble and leave that while I build up my lather. I then rinse off and soak some more with that damn-hot flannel, then get on with the rest of the shave.

For a while I used to just use Stirling as my pre-shave as well as my travel soap, but recently I gave up on that because it sucked. I now have a go-toob with a thick mixture of Pears and water.

I may start using a shaving soap as a pre shave bar, using your technique.

I like pre shave oil but it does impact the closeness of the shave.

I did find I got good results when I used up a puck of baum.be shaving soap which was a real dud (lather dissipated within seconds!).

I feel MWF may make a wonderful pre shave soap given the wonderful post shave skin is leaves me with.

I was using Razorock pre-shave soap which I left on under the shave soap. Even though it added slickness, I also found it would clog the blade so I gave them up.

Before that, I enjoyed using a shave oil but it would clog the drain after a while and I got sick of the wife telling me to run draino down it every couple of weeks.

Bargain!
$15 got me a No.15 Set box and case. Alas, it did not contain the period correct razor. The best I can make out the razor in this mismatched purchase is a No.66 1958 Aristocrat, matching this one.
https://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1958 (D2 on blade) No66.JPG

Inside the case also was an old Canada head & plate open comb in reasonable condition. No handle however. Looks like I'll just have to make a stainless one for it.

The Aristocrat razor is in very nice condition. Small plating loss underside of the doors in opposite corners at one end, but otherwise, it's a very nice razor. Shaved this morning with it. Not an aggressive shaver by any means, but it does shave, nicely too. I do like the Aristocrat range. They just seem special. Think I'll try a very gentle polish around the head to brighten up the rhodium a little. Looks a little dull at the moment.
So I have a good No.66 razor, without it's case.

The box is in bad condition, but you can somewhat see and read everything, historical interest maybe. Underneath the box you can see the date 9-6-41 written in pencil. The booklet inside the case lid looks like it's never been removed. Prying up the edges to get it out looked like it might lead to harming the paper, so I left it there, for now. Hoping the Gillette logo behind it is mint?? It's far from "new in box" being 80 years old now, but it was very cheap.

The seller also had a toasty old Rolls in box, and an old Valet single edge in box (the one with the 2 little gears on side of the head), complete with rusted blade in place, ruining the interior and comb teeth, just making a horrible mess of itself. I left those with him. While being old survivors, condition was terrible, and neither were for using. Put away wet and forgotten about. Decided I don't need to buy everything I see when I see it. But I did want the Aristocrat for $15 though!

VMKSZa3.jpg

GlwoZ9S.jpg

jyAqcMu.jpg

YEHvCda.jpg

JaWZRI9.jpg

M7wZegY.jpg

pJo4ZdA.jpg

KWvSnP0.jpg

Bargain!
$15 got me a No.15 Set box and case. Alas, it did not contain the period correct razor. The best I can make out the razor in this mismatched purchase is a No.66 1958 Aristocrat, matching this one.
https://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1958 (D2 on blade) No66.JPG

Inside the case also was an old Canada head & plate open comb in reasonable condition. No handle however. Looks like I'll just have to make a stainless one for it.

The Aristocrat razor is in very nice condition. Small plating loss underside of the doors in opposite corners at one end, but otherwise, it's a very nice razor. Shaved this morning with it. Not an aggressive shaver by any means, but it does shave, nicely too. I do like the Aristocrat range. They just seem special. Think I'll try a very gentle polish around the head to brighten up the rhodium a little. Looks a little dull at the moment.
So I have a good No.66 razor, without it's case.

The box is in bad condition, but you can somewhat see and read everything, historical interest maybe. Underneath the box you can see the date 9-6-41 written in pencil. The booklet inside the case lid looks like it's never been removed. Prying up the edges to get it out looked like it might lead to harming the paper, so I left it there, for now. Hoping the Gillette logo behind it is mint?? It's far from "new in box" being 80 years old now, but it was very cheap.

The seller also had a toasty old Rolls in box, and an old Valet single edge in box (the one with the 2 little gears on side of the head), complete with rusted blade in place, ruining the interior and comb teeth, just making a horrible mess of itself. I left those with him. While being old survivors, condition was terrible, and neither were for using. Put away wet and forgotten about. Decided I don't need to buy everything I see when I see it. But I did want the Aristocrat for $15 though!

VMKSZa3.jpg

GlwoZ9S.jpg

jyAqcMu.jpg

YEHvCda.jpg

JaWZRI9.jpg

M7wZegY.jpg

pJo4ZdA.jpg

KWvSnP0.jpg

VERY nice score! From a B&M dealer?

Mail called today, two products and one free blade pack made from India.

E42-FAD3-C-9-B47-42-BB-9895-F7-EDB3-A7-E589.jpg

Also I can’t smell Sandalwood straight from the tub, it’s a very weak low scent. I’ll have to lather it up tonight, with a fresh new cloud super stainless into my Weishi 9306F short handle.

Looks like India doesn’t know how to spell English with an E instead of inglish.

DE3-D79-EB-BCED-408-F-8-A49-A9-FD7-EE60-B58.jpg

38-E843-B2-697-C-4-F37-93-B2-6-EEC1638-FF7-E.jpg

2030-F0-B0-D5-EB-41-BA-A5-D9-E9-FDD9-C95481.jpg

93-D878-E9-3-C8-B-4-C16-B715-3301232803-F0.jpg

Mail called today, two products and one free blade pack made from India.

E42-FAD3-C-9-B47-42-BB-9895-F7-EDB3-A7-E589.jpg

Also I can’t smell Sandalwood straight from the tub, it’s a very weak low scent. I’ll have to lather it up tonight, with a fresh new cloud super stainless into my Weishi 9306F short handle.

Looks like India doesn’t know how to spell English with an E instead of inglish.

DE3-D79-EB-BCED-408-F-8-A49-A9-FD7-EE60-B58.jpg

38-E843-B2-697-C-4-F37-93-B2-6-EEC1638-FF7-E.jpg

2030-F0-B0-D5-EB-41-BA-A5-D9-E9-FDD9-C95481.jpg

93-D878-E9-3-C8-B-4-C16-B715-3301232803-F0.jpg

will have to get the matching shaving foam - https://clasicobrands.com/inglish.html