Merica razor vs Winning razor

Rhinehoth

... and these are a few of my favourite soaps.
lPSnr0r.jpg

Merica razor is on the left and Winning razor on the right. Both of these razors are made from marine grade 316 stainless steel and both have magnets on the bottom of the handles to safely pick up razor blades. The Winning razor has neutral exposure and a .020” blade gap and the Merica razor also has a neutral exposure and a .016” blade gap. The Merica razor has a stonewashed like finish and has a real industrial look to it.

Blades used were two new Tatra blades that came with the razors (these are Czech made blades and it’s my first time using them). I used the Merica on the left side of my face and the Winning on the right side of my face. I found the Merica razor to be smoother and slightly more efficient. The Winning razor is picky with the angle and if you don’t find it, the razor will aqua plane without any cutting being done. The angle is not difficult to find (Winning razor), just saying that if you use the wrong angle then the razor just slides across without any cutting action. I was surprised to find the Merica smoother than the Winning razor and more comfortable to shave with. Every review I’ve read suggested that the Winning razor is smoother but less efficient. Finally, I didn’t notice any suction feeling when using the Winning razor.

Here is a picture of the four Henson like razors. In terms of efficiency I rate them from right to left (Delorian, Merica, Winning and Henson). In terms of smoothness, I’d say it’s the Henson over the Merica but not by much and then it’s the Winning razor over the Delorian.
Re57QiP.jpg

I didn't know the "Delorian" and just noticed it is the Henson-clone head from Yaqi. I didn't bother getting one so far, as I was not a fan of the so very much locked in angle on the Henson design (best designed and most well made razor I just don't like at all, ever. Sorry to say, it is just like that). I own the spiral and cutouts handle shown for the Delorian on thewetshavingco.com. Interestingly, both parts are separately available from Aliexpress/Yaqi, but not as a full razor.

Both Winning and Merica razors are made by Yates, one day I will get one from Yates with an H or EH plate. I hope they are a more efficient than their supposedly milder Wetshavingclub razors.

while not related to Henson or Yates, the "Greencult" razor from an Austrian company recently surprised me. It was also very cheap (<50 EUR) and I expected a very mild razor, but it was very efficient and I even cut myself. I could imagine the Yates H+ plate razors to be somewhat like that. Hopefully, because I liked the Greencult a lot.

I didn't know the "Delorian" and just noticed it is the Henson-clone head from Yaqi. I didn't bother getting one so far, as I was not a fan of the so very much locked in angle on the Henson design (best designed and most well made razor I just don't like at all, ever. Sorry to say, it is just like that). I own the spiral and cutouts handle shown for the Delorian on thewetshavingco.com. Interestingly, both parts are separately available from Aliexpress/Yaqi, but not as a full razor.

Both Winning and Merica razors are made by Yates, one day I will get one from Yates with an H or EH plate. I hope they are a more efficient than their supposedly milder Wetshavingclub razors.

while not related to Henson or Yates, the "Greencult" razor from an Austrian company recently surprised me. It was also very cheap (<50 EUR) and I expected a very mild razor, but it was very efficient and I even cut myself. I could imagine the Yates H+ plate razors to be somewhat like that. Hopefully, because I liked the Greencult a lot.
Nah mate, you cannot cut yourself on the Yates EH. It's nice, gentle razor. It is very smooth and at the same time, efficient. A smidge less so perhaps than the Green Cult.

That should be Merica, not Mercia. Stupid Apple autocorrect. 🤬

[Mod Edit: Fixed]

Last edited by a moderator: