'Minimal chemicals' shaving software

Nonick

Sputniks orbit planet face
Group Buy Associate
Getting my razor honed at Oz's and I asked him which soaps he uses. He said he's using cella and occams, and generally steers clear of ones with too many chemicals.

After looking at a few ingredients listings I'm bamboozled as to what's natural and what's nasty 'chemical'. There's a lot of long names on a lot of lists that are artisan or 'organic' etc.

So what's some good examples of soaps/creams without nastys?

ARKO!!!

/thread

Parabens are the usually quoted baddy - but I'm no expert

Parabens are the usually quoted baddy - but I'm no expert
I'd also notch up:
phthalates
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS),
Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES),
Triethanolamine (TEA)
Tetrasodium Etidronate (EDTA)
Propolene glycol
some of the dodgier fragrance oils,,

Last edited:
Some object to palm oil purely for ethical reasons too.

Ok let's play spot the baddy on this one...

Ingredients: Aqua, potassium palmitate*, sodium palmitate, potassium stearate, sodium stearate, potassium cocoabutterate, sodium cocoabutterate, potassium shea butterate, sodium shea butterate, potassium cocoate, sodium coaoate, potassium castorate,, sodium castorate, glycerine (vegetable), stearic acid (vegetable)., Kaolin clay. Essential oil blend. Limonene, linalool, citral, geraniol. *Organic and sustainably grown in Columbia.

Ingredients: Aqua, potassium palmitate*, sodium palmitate, potassium stearate, sodium stearate, potassium cocoabutterate, sodium cocoabutterate, potassium shea butterate, sodium shea butterate, potassium cocoate, sodium coaoate, potassium castorate,, sodium castorate, glycerine (vegetable), stearic acid (vegetable)., Kaolin clay. Essential oil blend. Limonene, linalool, citral, geraniol. *Organic and sustainably grown in Columbia.
I think we know what makes Nanny silly with this soap...

Your Nanny's soap right?

What's the "baddies" (other than the horrible scientific names)?

I'm no scientist but anything with 'castorate' in the name CANNOT be good :)

I'm no scientist but anything with 'castorate' in the name CANNOT be good :)
Castor oil right? It's just the scientific names for the oils...
Just don't think you can eat it @Nonick! It might smell delicious, but don't even think about it.

Soap is pretty much made up of chemicals. Some natural some not.

We're all made up of chemicals. Some natural some not.

Not everything natural is good for you. Not everything synthetic is bad. And Vice versa.

Reading and avoiding ingredients on bathroom goods is a waste of time and there's far bigger things to worry about, if you choose to, IMO.

Soap is pretty much made up of chemicals. Some natural some not.

We're all made up of chemicals. Some natural some not.

Not everything natural is good for you. Not everything synthetic is bad. And Vice versa.

Reading and avoiding ingredients on bathroom goods is a waste of time and there's far bigger things to worry about, if you choose to, IMO.
Please, impart with us your wisdom upon said bigger things mate.

I do agree btw, as an example, all soaps have Dihydrogen Monoxide.
Nasty nasty stuff, which many a death is attributed to it.

Well it doesn't worry me if it's made of paint thinners if it smells nice and lathers. I was thinking of what oz might be interested in. I think I'll give up bothering (hey, my interest in ingredients lasted less time than me sabbatical, this is worrying for 2015)

I was thinking of what oz might be interested in.
I'll put my hand up to giving him a sample of the Occams... [emoji11]

I wonder if he'd like the JGS?

That's a good idea. It made Stills short list so it must be good