Mitchell's Wool Fat

bald as

ARKO! dealer & walking ECG
Does anyone here regularly use Mitchell's Wool Fat.

Do you have any opinions on how easy or hard it is to use and what the post shave is like. I know zero about it, Is it scented or unscented?

Steve

'Da Fat' is a great soap, but it does not do well with hard water. Lathers up great here in Sydney with the Plissitane - no issues at all. Previously had issues with it using a Smog Pig, and hard Mudgee water. I have better results in that water with a tiny Kent VS80 which is very short-set and quite scrubby. As for Adelaide water, I think it may not work the best due to the sodium content as well as other 'gunk' but it is worth a try for sure, especially if you have access to soft water like tank water.

The main makeup of the soap is Lanolin, so generally most people get a nice result from it although if you know lanolin does not agree with you then give it a miss.

Scent wise, just a nice clean soap smell. While I am sure it does have a scent, it's not scented to smell like anything in particular - just fresh, clean. My other half says it is a 'freshly showered guy smell'.

* Full disclosure: Mine is actually the Kent Shaving Soap which is repackaged MWF. There is some disagreement within the wider shaving community if it is exactly the same as MWF, some think it is scented differently.

I'm a huge lanolin fan and love the clean smell of MWF.

It took a number of lathers for the real scent to get out, the first two or three were scentless to me. Still the scent is subtle and as @Monsta_AU states is a very clean soap smell.

Lathers up wonderfuly with Melbourne water. I always put a teaspoon or so of warm water on top of the soap while I shower but squeeze the brush out before loading and add water to the bowl as I build lather. I can't get a decent face Lather with this, but that is probably me more than the Fat

I turned my puck of MWF in to a few sticks so I can't comment on how hard it is to load up from a puck and either face or bowl lather from that. Never had any problems whatsoever getting a really nice face lather from it though. And the water here in Perth is so hard you have to regularly knock stalactites off your taps. There is a general consensus that it's hard to load up but those are probably the same people that find Cella hard to load and if you can piss you can use Cella. It's got a lovely scent. One of my favorites actually. Not sure what scent it is but it's nice. When I finish this never ending tub of Body Shop Macca Root and finally post that as finished product, I'll be buying a puck of MWF complete with a MWF bowl this time.

I'll give you something better than da fat tomorrow ;)

I don't have any soap to trade but do you want some Feather blades? If you do have some MWF and can spare some I would be interested to try it as well :)

Steve

Please don't worry - I just posted this, because I didn't want you to order some Fat before tomorrow...

No need to give me anything - looking forward to the meet-up!

:) The mind boggles :) Which has the lovely scent ??

Yeah, if you can piss you can paint is a common phrase in the building trade. Usually from the mouth of chippies. But they say similar things about sparkies, plasterers, brickies, you name it. The same however definitely goes for lathering Cella, in spite of the baffling, five year old, 1500 page thread over at B&B. As far as I'm concerned Cella might as well have a piss scent as the marzipan almost gives me the same reaction. If there is any confusion MWF has a great scent.

If there is any confusion MWF has a great scent.
Sorry but the scent of MWF reminds me of airplane toilets in the 80s - in a bad way :D

Sorry but the scent of MWF reminds me of airplane toilets in the 80s - in a bad way :D

Oh god, here we go. Another toilet analogy. Airplanes toilets in the 80s? That's seriously obscure. Was there a standard airplane toilet freshener? Did Qantas use the same standard toilet freshener as Singapore Airline or KLM? I can't remember airplane toilets smelling of anything other than sweaty armpits after a 16hr dash from Dubai or KL. The entire airplane was a giant sweaty armpit.

Gotta get me some vintage 0's airplane toilets for their scent ?
Will this become the latest collectible ?

I love MWF, I find the scent old school 'soapy', and as mentioned above very mild. I live in Adelaide and have no issue getting it to lather well using our rather crappy town water, I just need to work it a little more than I do when we are using our tank water.