Modify/Upgrade a cheapie shaving soap...? Viable?

I'm no organic chemist, but I am a chemist (the real type not a pill seller).

Saponification, soap making is pretty simple process. If I remeber correctly and I am not using a text or wikipedia, you take some triacyl glyceride lipids (fats/oils) and react them with hydroxide, this breaks the triacyl bonds to release the free fatty acids, this reacts to .... nah fuk it I can't remember.

Love it. Always good to see someone throwing a Mal out there...

[video=youtube;Dt--SGmIKIQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt--SGmIKIQ[/video]

You can melt glycerine based soaps, as they revert back to liquid state. The rest... nah can't be fuked.

Love it. Always good to see someone throwing a Mal out there...

Ah hilarious, on a serious note I looked long and hard for that footage several yrs ago! Have always found it an absolute cracker.....well done.

Ok, got the confirmation from the seller that you could order 3 different oils and get a 4th free...so is a very good deal. Just buy them and then make payment out after you've selected them all and you can manually remove the cheapest one from the payment.

Ended up going with Clary Sage, Bergamot, Lime and Cypress. $19 or so delivered. The missus wanted some more oils for the oil burner so works well both ways!

Just a word of WARNING to anyone who's thinking of buying from the Ebay seller I linked earlier (now removed) - DON'T!!!!

Possibly the worst Ebay seller I've ever dealt with!

In no particular order:

• BEFORE I bought the items replied to questions overnight......so I bought $USD50 of oils
  • Then I got no responses for weeks! Sent 7 messages with no response!
  • Had to start a 'Unreceived item' dispute in Paypal (still ongoing) - finally sent item a few days ago!
  • The seller sent an email with all the buyers email addresses shown (not BCC'd but publically listed) saying they had a problem which caused the 3 week delay.....no actual info given. My email now sent to all these people!!!
  • Oils arrived today......they're CLEARLY fakes. Do not smell like the real essential oils at all!
  • They included 2 of the wrong oils (giving me 2 x peppermint, which I didn't order at all!) - so I'm going to have to start another dispute to get the 2 actual oils I ordered and paid for lime & patchouli sent!
  • As I said the oils STINK to high heaven and are clearly fakes...I've no idea what they've been diluted/polluted with but there is NO WAY KNOWN I'd put it on my skin.......all they're good for is the oil burner and even that is hard to see as they really smell like shyte!

This is the seller, like I said I'd avoid them at all costs - alas I think alot of folks don't know the rubbish they've been sent out - but the feedback shows a lot of others (like me) do!

Just a word of WARNING to anyone who's thinking of buying from the Ebay seller I linked earlier (now removed) - DON'T!!!!

Possibly the worst Ebay seller I've ever dealt with!

In no particular order:

• BEFORE I bought the items replied to questions overnight......so I bought $USD50 of oils
  • Then I got no responses for weeks! Sent 7 messages with no response!
  • Had to start a 'Unreceived item' dispute in Paypal (still ongoing) - finally sent item a few days ago!
  • The seller sent an email with all the buyers email addresses shown (not BCC'd but publically listed) saying they had a problem which caused the 3 week delay.....no actual info given. My email now sent to all these people!!!
  • Oils arrived today......they're CLEARLY fakes. Do not smell like the real essential oils at all!
  • They included 2 of the wrong oils (giving me 2 x peppermint, which I didn't order at all!) - so I'm going to have to start another dispute to get the 2 actual oils I ordered and paid for lime & patchouli sent!
  • As I said the oils STINK to high heaven and are clearly fakes...I've no idea what they've been diluted/polluted with but there is NO WAY KNOWN I'd put it on my skin.......all they're good for is the oil burner and even that is hard to see as they really smell like shyte!

This is the seller, like I said I'd avoid them at all costs - alas I think alot of folks don't know the rubbish they've been sent out - but the feedback shows a lot of others (like me) do!
That sucks!

Damn dodgy peeps!

Haha oh and here's the kicker instead of sending the Bay Laurel (which was the most expensive) they sent an unlabelled bottle which clearly from it's smell was Camphor oil!!!!!!

Think Vicks Vaporub! :wacko:

What! Why are you complaining?

Vicks and Arko could be a new standard:cheesy:

Only kidding, sounds like a major bummer!

Haha oh and here's the kicker instead of sending the Bay Laurel (which was the most expensive) they sent an unlabelled bottle which clearly from it's smell was Camphor oil!!!!!!

Think Vicks Vaporub! :wacko:

So these guys failed to send you the goods that you purchased until after you initiated a complaint, sent you goods that were fake and (I assume) not as described, and on top of that, they screwed up your order. There must be some way to appeal something like that with Paypal, what's buyer protection on eBay for if not stuff like this?

I wonder if they would've sent you anything if you didn't lodge the complaint.

With PayPal you have 45 days to raise a dispute. I'm doing that currently for the voskhods that I bought in August and never received. I got denied as its over the time frame.

Yes, for all their spouting about Buyer Protection Paypal is a real PITA to deal with at times.

You should have seen the things I had to do to prove that a Samsung 500gb portable HDD I bought a few yrs back was actually a counterfeit comprised of a rebirthed 20gb Seagate HDD in a generic case.

Even when I pulled the case to bits and showed the pictures of the Seagate branded 20gb HDD this wasn't good enough.....in the end was lucky enough to have a person who worked in IT offer to put a statement saying it was fake on his company's letterhead....which is what PP demanded I get.

Sounds easy but folks don't want to do stuff like this for potential legal problems as well as why would they do for free. Thankfully all worked out well and the seller got closed down (well atleast until they almost certainly opened a new account the next day!!!)

I'm 95% certain these oils are either completely fake or diluted super heavily with god knows what as they just smell wrong.

I've actually had the owner of the company emailing me back (I found his email address via their Paypal account's listing details) and he's conceded their mistakes and is 20 times better than other staff I happened to get an email from but still the sub-continent definition of 'customer service' differs somewhat from ours. :-/

I think I'll end up getting the other 3 oils sent to me - but in reality this whole bunch even with the 3 incorrect oils I already have isn't worth anywhere near $50. I think they'll be heading for the oil burner and yet another case of 'if it looks too good to be true it probably is'. I'm a slow learner on that one. :-/

Haha I have to say I got a bit of an unexpected surprise today.....I'd let the Paypal claim run it's course despite (as posted above) the package showing up and having 3 of the oils I'd ordered missing....which eventually the seller 'claims' to have sent to me (dubious about this!). They did this via registered post....so I felt I had no hope of winning the claim.

Anyway Paypal claims have been VERY poor in my past experience with them - as I found they made the victim provide all manner of proof whilst always taking the sellers side despite significant evidence that could be seen via similar complaints or simply by reading their product listing & viewing pictures of the items.....

So the oils were very poor quality.....I do think they're either the lowest of the low or they're outright fake/altered as they just don't smell like the real thing (based on the couple of them I've had legit ones of before to compare).

But anyway somehow in their 'spin the wheel-random justice' Paypal decided to give me a full refund on all the items. So I ended up with all the items (ok they're not great but good enough for use in an oil burner) + 3 extra ones + my money back + I also got to slam the heck out of them on their Feedback listing! Trade this off with the hassle and it's a fight no-one won, but it was quite a surprise to get my $$$ back.

Must be all those TV ads Paypal are running, they've decided they should offer a bit of value for customers for once. :)

my experience with modifying soaps has been mostly not too positive.if you have a soap that just doesn't lather well but you like it for other reasons (scent, conditioning) you can boost it with a bit of shaving cream. in the end it's less work to make soap from scratch than to rework an underperforming soap.