Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Some of you know that I've got a touch of SBAD :weird:

My latest came in today -

It has been freshly cleaned up and ready for use tomorrow or maybe I'll wait until Father's Day. It is a Simpson B2 in pretty good nick I think with sticker, box and instructions. It is only Pure Badger so we shall see how it goes.

It will take its place on my vanity with its butterscotch cousins -

Simpson M1 Best Badger and an unbranded one labelled 'Best badger' 'London Made' and 'Sterilized'

Don't they all play nicely together

Those Simpson brushes do look very nice. Do they typically clean up well?

Those Simpson brushes do look very nice. Do they typically clean up well?

I'm not a brush expert but these three have come up OK. Another I have a lot of the hair broke while cleaning so there was not much of a knot left :(

I'm not a brush expert but these three have come up OK. Another I have a lot of the hair broke while cleaning so there was not much of a knot left :(

I'd be considering sending it back to Simpson for a re-knot. I don't think a TGN knot would do any butterscotch handle justice.

I'd suggest that any butterscotch brush with a Simpson re-knot would be worth a decent amount of money. You may not get it all back but a TGN knot would be worth zero in a Butterscotch.

I'd be considering sending it back to Simpson for a re-knot. I don't think a TGN knot would do any butterscotch handle justice.

I'd suggest that any butterscotch brush with a Simpson re-knot would be worth a decent amount of money. You may not get it all back but a TGN knot would be worth zero in a Butterscotch.

I got a quote before on the Simpson 41 I picked up. The guide prices for a re-knot by Simpson:

Pure £40.00
Best £50.00
Silvertip £65.00

All plus postage.

So not something I will rush into!

Best £50.00
There's the winner right there!

I think Drubbing would agree that the handles deserve it, but 'Pure' grade wouldn't be much better than TGN really.

Seriously, you are going to make me look for handles on eBay now... Damn you to hell Mark! :wacko:

Those look pretty sweet..... Did you end up using it today? If so how was it?

I used it Saturday morning - couldn't wait!

Hard to make a judgement on the first use, especially after a clean. Face lathered using Cella

It was a little scritchy but not too much. The lather was OK but only enough for two passes - it didn't hold it well. I'd leave it for a few uses to make a final judgement. Not bad as a first run though.

Probably get back to it on Wednesday.

I used it Saturday morning - couldn't wait!

Hard to make a judgement on the first use, especially after a clean. Face lathered using Cella

It was a little scritchy but not too much. The lather was OK but only enough for two passes - it didn't hold it well. I'd leave it for a few uses to make a final judgement. Not bad as a first run though.

Probably get back to it on Wednesday.

Nice stuff...

I look forward to seeing how it ends up!

Thanks

Nice find Mark, that's a pretty nice collection. Where does one go to find stuff like this? I suspect you'll say B&B, but I checked it out and got put off by how busy and full of muppets it seemed so I'd love to hear if there's a good alternative.

Nice find Mark, that's a pretty nice collection. Where does one go to find stuff like this? I suspect you'll say B&B, but I checked it out and got put off by how busy and full of muppets it seemed so I'd love to hear if there's a good alternative.

Pretty much trawling eBay continuously, and snapping up underpriced Buy-It-Now's (aka BIN's), spotting mis-described items, taking a punt on an item, or setting a snipe bid.

Pretty much trawling eBay continuously, and snapping up underpriced Buy-It-Now's (aka BIN's), spotting mis-described items, taking a punt on an item, or setting a snipe bid.

Yep - that about sums it up!

Far too much time on eBay plus spending far to much money = a collection

I kinda figured this would be the case, I just wondered if there were some sneaky tips to actually find stuff. I've never turned up much that looks reasonable in my searching, but I guess it's often down to luck. Also, mis-described items as you mentioned is probably something I'll pick up over time once I learn a bit more, seems like a lot of people trying to sell stuff they've picked up from old relatives. I've been on the hunt for a bargain pile of junk razors so I can try my hand at restoration, but I'll buy my time.

You guys call it RAD I think, but this is just another occurrence of Gear Acquisition Syndrome that became a money pit for me with music. See shiny, buy shiny! :p

I kinda figured this would be the case, I just wondered if there were some sneaky tips to actually find stuff. I've never turned up much that looks reasonable in my searching, but I guess it's often down to luck. Also, mis-described items as you mentioned is probably something I'll pick up over time once I learn a bit more, seems like a lot of people trying to sell stuff they've picked up from old relatives. I've been on the hunt for a bargain pile of junk razors so I can try my hand at restoration, but I'll buy my time.

You guys call it RAD I think, but this is just another occurrence of Gear Acquisition Syndrome that became a money pit for me with music. See shiny, buy shiny! :p

There are lots of nice brushes but the butterscotch is more popular and harder to find.

Of course if you want gear I may be able to help...

These things breed I tell you!

The one in the foreground is a Simpson Model 10. Reads '10, Best Badger, Simpson' on front. 'Marshall Field & Company, The store for men' on back.

The others in the background are recent non-Simpson acquisitions.

The butterscotch brushes were all acquired to be part of a seven day set although I'm not sure whether it may become two sets. A general 7-day butterscotch set AND and 7-day Simpson set (Vintage and New) which may eventually be accompanies by a 7-day vintage restores set as well.

The Simpson 10 will definitely go back to them for a re-knot. I don't know what to put in yet - still thinking about it. I'm told the hole is 26mm diameter but I've not checked.

SBAD? Did somebody say SBAD?

You've got it bad Mark. A 26mm knot is huge. It's a one week rotation all it's own. You'll be able to lather up on Monday and still have enough in the brush for your Sunday shave.

You've got it bad Mark. A 26mm knot is huge. It's a one week rotation all it's own. You'll be able to lather up on Monday and still have enough in the brush for your Sunday shave.

Got is bad? Thinking about a third extension now for brushes :sad2:

26mm is huge. That is why this baby is going back to its 'home' for some new hair. I want to do it justice so suggestions are welcome. I like the Simpson 'best' but does this deserve 'better'?

..................I like the Simpson 'best' but does this deserve 'better'?

The best (and only) Simpson I've got is best so can't help you there. I would have thought that for a knot that size you wouldn't want anything too soft or it'll quickly turn in to an enormous fluffy mop. Good for making bucket loads of lather but fairly cumbersome when you want to distribute it over your face. You might want to keep the loft down as well for that reason. But I've only got small brushes so you might want to get some advice from the big brush fan boys over at YKW.

Sending it to Simpson is a good idea. Not much choice in DIY knots that size.

Last edited:
The best (and only) Simpson I've got is best so can't help you there. I would have thought that for a knot that size you wouldn't want anything too soft or it'll quickly turn in to an enormous fluffy mop. Good for making bucket loads of lather but fairly cumbersome when you want to distribute it over your face. You might want to keep the loft down as well for that reason. But I've only got small brushes so you might want to get some advice from the big brush fan boys over at YKW.

Sending it to Simpson is a good idea. Not much choice in DIY knots that size.

I've got a MC in Best and Chubby 1 in Best. The only suggestion to date YKW is Manchurian Badger if they still have any - 'The characteristics of the knot are a blend of what you get from 3 band super and 2 band super.'

Sounds a little OTT to me - I might ask Mark @ Simpson what he recommends for what I need.