Review Musgo Real shaving soap.it's the real deal !

nav1

Active Member from afar
2018 Sabbatical Fail
Quick review of Musgo Real (MR) shaving soap.

Back in 2009, I had gotten a bottle of the MR aftershave balm. While the balm itself was a bit too heavy for my skin, the scent is something that I couldn't get enough of!

I am not a cream user so I couldn't use their shaving cream and wished for an MR shaving soap.

I was very excited when MR did release their shaving soap, and that too in the classic fragrance! I started reading reviews with great anticipation.

Unfortunately, all reviews basically spoke of dissipating lather and relegating the soap to the shower. I was so disappointed! I never really thought about the MR shaving soap again after that, until recently.

I did another search and saw a handful of reviews which were very positive and a couple spoke about a reformulation of the soap.

I ordered the MR shaving soap quick smart! It arrived last friday and I
used it on Saturday morning.

The packaging is basic to say the least. The bare puck in a cardboard box. The box is too big for the puck and the puck is not sealed in shrink wrap or wax paper, just a bare puck.

The puck is a rock-hard soap, weighing 125 grams. This thing is going to last a very long time!!

The shape of the puck is oval, more like a bath soap. I don't think I've ever seen a shaving soap shaped in this way. But I like it. It made loading the brush quite easy and the other advantage is that the soap is less likely to become a donut towards the end of its life.

The scent is exactly like the aftershave balm. I just love it! I literally can't get enough of this scent! The scent was a huge factor in me getting this soap so one sniff of the puck and I was very happy that it's the scent I was hoping for.

How's the performance you ask?

Well, I started loading up the brush and thick proto-lather started forming. I was getting very excited.

I then started face lathering and the proto-lather was thick and pasty. I added water to my brush and the lather started forming. Thick, creamy and very stable. I actually had to drip my brush in water three times to get the lather where I like it!

The shave was great! The lather was very stable, rich and creamy. Glide was excellent and the scent remained very present over the entire shave.

So, after a horrible start by MR, I can say they have nailed this formula!!

I can't recommend the Musgo Real shaving soap highly enough!!

BTW I ordered from mensbiz

I confirmed with email that they have the re-formulated soap. They confirmed they have both and will send me only the reformulated version. So if anyone orders from them, just confirm they have the re-formulated version in stock.

...just confirm they have the re-formulated version in stock.
Great tip! Thanks for passing on your advice.

How would you describe the scent?

Great tip! Thanks for passing on your advice.

How would you describe the scent?

I'm not very good at describing scents and the MR is so unique that I don't really know where to start.

I would say it's medium strength. It's masculine...very succinctly I would say it's a mix of woods, spice and "creaminess". It's hard to describe what I mean but it's not a straight up woody/spicy scent. It's a bit rounded out with the "cream" scent mixed in. Perhaps it's something a little sweet they added in to get the creaminess.

One of my all time favourite shaving soap scents for sure!!

According to MR site...it's vetiver, patchouli and eucalyptus.

The "green" part of the scent is the vetiver I guess. I didn't pick up the eucalyptus directly but I think it's more the mixture that makes it such a unique and pleasant scent. I believe it's the eucalyptus that rounds out the scent so it's not just green and woodsy.