MWF (alternative in ceramic bowl)

LesC

Hi, with an empty :cry: Mitchell "Fat" ceramic bowl, I placed my Washpool No3 in and have been happy using, but the "look" just wasn't right? When finished I replaced with Haslinger Schafmilch for a more classic look. Then I wondered could I grab a Mitchell hand and body soap bar (I believe higher in Tallow than shave soap) and grate 1/2 of this (75g) with a puck of Haslinger, mix well together and tamper down into the bowl for more of an Original MWF? If anyone has tried this and or similar (@SpeedyPC) I would be interested, don't want to buy the bar to find they don't grate/mix well together? Cheers

Have you actually tried the current palm-oil version of MWF? Chances are it's probably OK. I know there are the haters and snobs here and elsewhere (naming no names), but once you've boiled up any fat with NaOH or KaOH, you're probably going to end up with pretty much the same residues. There's also an argument that vegetable fats will leave behind less of the mucky residues that taint some pure-tallow soaps.

By way of illustration, I might point in the direction of Pre de Provence and Martin de Candre, who manage to produce world-class soaps with vegetable fats. Even D.R. Harris uses them as an ingredient (along with tallow), and NOBODY can bleat a complaint about their hard soaps. There are cases when some manufacturers get it totally wrong (in that case due to poor formulation with Na vs Ka), but that's no reason to discount vegetable soaps, as the implementation is entirely different..

I haven't tried the tallow Tabac, but the veg-based version (from the passaround box) worked perfectly well for me, even if I didn't like the scent.

Last edited:
Have you actually tried the current palm-oil version of MWF? Chances are it's probably OK. I know there are the haters and snobs here and elsewhere (naming no names), but once you've boiled up any fat with NaOH or KaOH, you're probably going to end up with pretty much the same residues. There's also an argument that vegetable fats will leave behind less of the mucky residues that taint some pure-tallow soaps.

By way of illustration, I might point in the direction of Pre de Provence and Martin de Candre, who manage to produce world-class soaps with vegetable fats. Even D.R. Harris uses them as an ingredient (along with tallow), and NOBODY can bleat a complaint about their hard soaps. There are cases when some manufacturers get it totally wrong (in that case due to poor formulation with Na vs Ka), but that's no reason to discount vegetable soaps, as the implementation is entirely different..

I haven't tried the tallow Tabac, but the veg-based version (from the passaround box) worked perfectly well for me, even if I didn't like the scent.
Gotta say I agree with the above. Rather than panic buy when Tabac and MFW announced the changes to their formulas I decided to purchase the new offerings to make comparisons against the tallow based traditional recipes. In short… glad I did.
The results……. IMO both still up there.
In truth I have enough of the tallow versions to see me out (another reason for not panic buying I guess) but with that said I am buoyed that the newcomers to this gentlemanly pursuit will still be able to enjoy a great product that is associated with a distinguished history.
PS @Gargravarr I get it about the Tabac scent…. alas it was my grandfather’s go to and so that jar on my shelf contains so many great memories for me 😊
Just my findings through head to head product comparison IMO…. no wish to offend the purists.

Gotta say I agree with the above. Rather than panic buy when Tabac and MFW announced the changes to their formulas I decided to purchase the new offerings to make comparisons against the tallow based traditional recipes. In short… glad I did.
The results……. IMO both still up there.
In truth I have enough of the tallow versions to see me out (another reason for not panic buying I guess) but with that said I am buoyed that the newcomers to this gentlemanly pursuit will still be able to enjoy a great product that is associated with a distinguished history.
PS @Gargravarr I get it about the Tabac scent…. alas it was my grandfather’s go to and so that jar on my shelf contains so many great memories for me 😊
Just my findings through head to head product comparison IMO…. no wish to offend the purists.
Thanks for the above 2 positive, supportive replies, I will try the new formula when my Schafmilch runs out 👍 Les

Sorry, I didn’t get back sooner, I’ve had a retinal detachment surgery on my left eye and needed to stay off computers and social media and checking any messages and bills.

I’m aware that MWF has changed the formula again for the second time, I think, check information sources from badger and blade forum and also from Against the grain forums.

The first formula of MWF was a let down due to dry skin and not enough moisture or something else, MWF had changed the formula to improve the skin quality conditions after the shave.

Chow.

Sorry, I didn’t get back sooner, I’ve had a retinal detachment surgery on my left eye and needed to stay off computers and social media and checking any messages and bills.

I’m aware that MWF has changed the formula again for the second time, I think, check information sources from badger and blade forum and also from Against the grain forums.

The first formula of MWF was a let down due to dry skin and not enough moisture or something else, MWF had changed the formula to improve the skin quality conditions after the shave.

Chow.
@SpeedyPC , here's to a quick recovery. (y)

I currently have an unopened puck of tallow Mitchells,plus a once used D R Harris Arlington puck going for $50 posted

I was going to say. If you need some Mitchell’s just sing out. I forgot how long it lasts and could use some more space under the sink..