Review Mystic Water Soap

Sxot

Artisan Producer
Thought I would add my thoughts to forum on this soap since one only other has that I can see - @eggbert

I was generously given a sample of "Sandalwood Rose" by @Lifes a Peach. I opened the letter containing the sample at the office and was immediately taken by the scent! I left it on my desk for the remainder of day pausing occasionally to lean back, close my eyes and slowly inhale though my nose. It's safe to say I am big fan of the scent. That was off the dry 1/2 puck.

This is a tallow based, soft soap so after a initial false start in a small diameter container, I pressed it into a large diameter one which resulted in it being very thin. This may have contributed to it's short life - see below.
After hearing of this soaps difficulty in lathering, and watching a number of instructional videos, I see many relocate the soap from the supplied tub to a much larger one. The one I used measured 9cm diameter but the ones in the videos were larger still. They looked to be similar to "How to Grow a Mustache" soaps. I'd guess in the 12-15cm range. I am not sure this is required because if found loading to be good in a 9cm. Smaller will product issues in my limited experience.

Boar, (I used a Semogue 1800) or dense badger is required. I had intended to give my Duke2 a go, but I ran out of soap before I could. Which ever brush you use it needs density, and (I am told) backbone. I am not convinced the latter is true if you bloom the soap first and soften the top sufficiently. What you do need to do is load the brush well.

There is a lot of negative talk about this soap. I have read plenty about hard water, but I have also read plenty who report that hard water or RO water, they can get a good lather. I am not convinced it is an issue but something to be aware of. It may be. I don't believe I "hard water" (over 200ppm) but since my test kit seems to be too old and not working I cannot tell. The issue I believe is adding water too fast, and the tipping point is fine. One drop too many and your lather will fade fast.

So, how what worked for me? Use a wide mouthed container as mentioned already. Use a brush with good density - boar worked well for me. Bloom the soap - I used cold water. Squeeze all the water out of the brush. You want to start too dry, Load well, in fact start to build your lather in the soap dish. You need a lot of soap, a good volume of thick proto-lather as they call it. As you need water, use very little. One or two drops MAX. I dip the very tips, and then give the brush a single shake to knock off excess before going back to the tub. Load, load, and load some more. When you go to your face, wet it, then pat dry with a towel. Lathering on your wet face is a sure way to kill it especially between passes. Wash, wet, pad dry between passes. Brush strokes seems to be beneficial but I did use circular scrubbing motions about 30% of the time. Slowly add water in tiny increments. You need to build it very slowly. You should end up with a thick, very glossy lather, then STOP! Don't push it. I found it would look great, work great, but still be too wet and be fading by the third pass.

The lather to me is the thickest I have seen even compared to other Tallow soaps. Heaps of cushion, glide till the cows come home. It's like uncooked merangue and like I said, very glossy. After shave you can still feel the slickness left behind, moisturized skin even. I am guessing it has a very a higher than normal tallow content. Performance is of course to shelf. Is it the best soap I have tried? No, but it is certainly one of the best.

So this was three shaves, and the sample was completely gone. This shocked me a little and indicates you will go though this soap much faster than you are used to. Now, this might have been a quirk of me spreading the sample thin over the base of the tub. It may not be the same in full form. That said... a soap that runs out faster isn't really all that bad is it? More opportunity to buy more soap.

The other let down for me was the scent all but disappeared in lather form, especially on/after the second use. I have a dull sniffer and I couldn't detect much scent once lathered. After the initial joy, this was disappointing. I kinda "over bloomed" the sample on the second round - maybe I leached all the fragrance out then?

Summary:
This is, as reported, is an excellent performing soap. I do love the performance it gives but man do you need to work for it. There are others that perform just as well I think, that lather easily and quickly. Is it worth the effort? Maybe. I like a challenge, so I will likely buy some of this soap - think of me as an Android user. You maybe an Apple user, and "just want it to work" without the hassle. The other disappointment was the lack of scent on the face. This is where it needs to work, not in the tub but I will reserve judgement as it maybe due to the treatment of the sample. Will I buy some - very likely.

Thought I would add my thoughts to forum on this soap since one only other has that I can see - @eggbert

I was generously given a sample of "Sandalwood Rose" by @Lifes a Peach. I opened the letter containing the sample at the office and was immediately taken by the scent! I left it on my desk for the remainder of day pausing occasionally to lean back, close my eyes and slowly inhale though my nose. It's safe to say I am big fan of the scent. That was off the dry 1/2 puck.

This is a tallow based, soft soap so after a initial false start in a small diameter container, I pressed it into a large diameter one which resulted in it being very thin. This may have contributed to it's short life - see below.
After hearing of this soaps difficulty in lathering, and watching a number of instructional videos, I see many relocate the soap from the supplied tub to a much larger one. The one I used measured 9cm diameter but the ones in the videos were larger still. They looked to be similar to "How to Grow a Mustache" soaps. I'd guess in the 12-15cm range. I am not sure this is required because if found loading to be good in a 9cm. Smaller will product issues in my limited experience.

Boar, (I used a Semogue 1800) or dense badger is required. I had intended to give my Duke2 a go, but I ran out of soap before I could. Which ever brush you use it needs density, and (I am told) backbone. I am not convinced the latter is true if you bloom the soap first and soften the top sufficiently. What you do need to do is load the brush well.

There is a lot of negative talk about this soap. I have read plenty about hard water, but I have also read plenty who report that hard water or RO water, they can get a good lather. I am not convinced it is an issue but something to be aware of. It may be. I don't believe I "hard water" (over 200ppm) but since my test kit seems to be too old and not working I cannot tell. The issue I believe is adding water too fast, and the tipping point is fine. One drop too many and your lather will fade fast.

So, how what worked for me? Use a wide mouthed container as mentioned already. Use a brush with good density - boar worked well for me. Bloom the soap - I used cold water. Squeeze all the water out of the brush. You want to start too dry, Load well, in fact start to build your lather in the soap dish. You need a lot of soap, a good volume of thick proto-lather as they call it. As you need water, use very little. One or two drops MAX. I dip the very tips, and then give the brush a single shake to knock off excess before going back to the tub. Load, load, and load some more. When you go to your face, wet it, then pat dry with a towel. Lathering on your wet face is a sure way to kill it especially between passes. Wash, wet, pad dry between passes. Brush strokes seems to be beneficial but I did use circular scrubbing motions about 30% of the time. Slowly add water in tiny increments. You need to build it very slowly. You should end up with a thick, very glossy lather, then STOP! Don't push it. I found it would look great, work great, but still be too wet and be fading by the third pass.

The lather to me is the thickest I have seen even compared to other Tallow soaps. Heaps of cushion, glide till the cows come home. It's like uncooked merangue and like I said, very glossy. After shave you can still feel the slickness left behind, moisturized skin even. I am guessing it has a very a higher than normal tallow content. Performance is of course to shelf. Is it the best soap I have tried? No, but it is certainly one of the best.

So this was three shaves, and the sample was completely gone. This shocked me a little and indicates you will go though this soap much faster than you are used to. Now, this might have been a quirk of me spreading the sample thin over the base of the tub. It may not be the same in full form. That said... a soap that runs out faster isn't really all that bad is it? More opportunity to buy more soap.

The other let down for me was the scent all but disappeared in lather form, especially on/after the second use. I have a dull sniffer and I couldn't detect much scent once lathered. After the initial joy, this was disappointing. I kinda "over bloomed" the sample on the second round - maybe I leached all the fragrance out then?

Summary:
This is, as reported, is an excellent performing soap. I do love the performance it gives but man do you need to work for it. There are others that perform just as well I think, that lather easily and quickly. Is it worth the effort? Maybe. I like a challenge, so I will likely buy some of this soap - think of me as an Android user. You maybe an Apple user, and "just want it to work" without the hassle. The other disappointment was the lack of scent on the face. This is where it needs to work, not in the tub but I will reserve judgement as it maybe due to the treatment of the sample. Will I buy some - very likely.
Good write-up, especially about scent on the face. My favourite soaps have a scent that stays after the shave for more than an hour after the shave (TMBR, Desperado, Spiced Mahogany). THAT takes a good performing soap to the next level IMO.

Thanks. I am keen to see if the same is true from a full tub as my treatment of the sample may be to blame. I don't want my lather scent to last past the post shave clean up. I like a clean slate for the A/S but I do like to smell it whilst on my face. Otherwise, what is the point?

Wow, that's a great review, @Sxot . Well done on a thorough and objective review. I think you spread the sample too thinly - one sample should last you 6 - 8 shaves.

I'd love to hear from other Mystic Water users. Did you experience similar issues using Mystic Water for the first time? I did. I think it was my first artisan soap (in fact I gave away the tub). Now I find it an easy soap to lather. I wonder if it's a soap that requires some degree of lathering experience in general to make it work?

As for the scent - yes, the scents are superb but you have me thinking about it's lasting power. I certainly detect a strong fragrance in the lather so may be it was the sample.

Excellent review @Sxot . Having four tubs of the Mystic Water for six weeks now I can tell you the scent lasts. I bloom the soap which helps bring out the scent and I then load and face lather. It is a joy to use and the scents and performance are excellent. Having a few samples I break of a small piece and flatten it in the bowl and bloom and then lather till the sample is gone. Great fun.

Fantastic review @Sxot and very glad it worked out for you. As I am heavily biased towards MW, I will not add much, except to say, that the samples lasted me between 3-5 shaves - but I do prefer large brushes and heavy loading...

Also: Water definitely makes a difference to the lather - I am not the first one experiencing this. Of course you can make it work with hard water - it's just more effort. With soft/distilled water it just lathers up in no time...and of course it makes a difference how hard your water is.

Thanks for the kind words folks. Another tip; if you want to buy more soap, suggest the Mrs buy some bath soap and then add "well if you're getting some soap, I may as well take advantage of the postage and grab some shave soap too" [emoji6]

There aren't too many places in Qld near the coast that I found, where the water tested above 200 ppm (had to test every time we put in a coffee machine). Even places like Middlemount, Dingo, Moura were ok. That being said, using Mt Franklin instead of tap water I noticed a difference in Brisbane (maybe it was in my mind). For that matter, @Dale.Whiley you may know some people that I know :)

Another tip; if you want to buy more soap, suggest the Mrs buy some bath soap and then add "well if you're getting some soap, I may as well take advantage of the postage and grab some shave soap too"

By joves, it works! Although I used the angle of Mother's Day presents for the in-laws :)

Last edited:
Slightly old thread but I just wanted to add that to this day, I still feel Mystic Waters soap is one of the absolute best shaving soaps on the market.

I just load it like any other soap (damp boar brush), although perhaps a few seconds longer, and add water as I go.

The lather is just so fantastic! Rich, creamy and slick lather. It allows for an awesome shave each and every time and the post-shave is just tops!

In my all time top 5 for sure!!

Why start a new thread!

Second day with my Mystic Waters Sardinian Honey sample - again thanks to @Lifes a Peach!

I hadn't heard the it was hard to lather as @Sxot mentioned above, in fact I was expecting good things. It certainly didn't disappoint :)

I'd pressed it into an old Proraso red container and in double quick time with a dryish brush and then adding water I had a pretty decent lather in the bowl while loading -

Even after the first pass there was still plenty in the brush -

Rich, thick, shiny lather. Good glide and post shave feel. Easy enough to use - certainly performance wise a good soap (the 'top shelf' of soaps is getting crowded)

Scent wise it was very faint until loaded but burst into a warm honey 'glow' - perfect for a winter morning.

Overall - certainly a nice soap to get your hands on, you will not be disappointed.

Now that i am tempted by about 10 of their fragrances...do we know of any discount codes for these soaps??

Ginger Spice up in my rotation today...what a lovely scent, just like a chai latte!! My wife just loved the scent!

A great shave as usual with MW. I loaded with a fairly shaken out boar and loaded until there was stringy proto-lather and then face lathered. I had to add a decent amount of water and it resulted in a very smooth shave!

MW performance is definitely top-tier and once you dial it in, there's never an issue and it's never temperamental...perfect lather every time!!