Need More Room

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
I need larger digs to accommodate my ever growing SR shaving hobby so have decided to bite the bullet and buy my first house.

Currently I live in a rented farmer shed about 50km outside of Mareeba, out Mutchilba way. It's just me and my dog. I have found a house in town (Mareeba) that is within my budget and signed on the dotted line. Settlement is 11 March.

This house is a small two-bedroom cottage with extra sleepout on ¼ acre. Perfect for my needs. The second bedroom will my SR room and the sleepout for the occasional visitor.

My move is planned for Wednesday 13 March. I hate moving so hopefully this will be my last move.

Over the next couple of weeks. I expect to be rather busy trying to juggle the move and still trying to keep up with my professional work. I'll post a pic of the house here later.

Last edited:
Congrats on buying a house in this day and age mate. Harder now than ever before.
Because of my old(er) age, it was not possible for me to get a loan so, having to pay cash, my budget was limited. Fortunately, this little gem came onto the market. It took me almost three months to beat the vendor down 20% before I could afford it.

Last edited:
Here are some photos of my new (to me) humble little abode.
ZiyNYvv.jpg

NiIIf3f.jpg

0ITY6be.jpg

STjyORt.jpg

This little cottage was built in the mid to late 1940s. It was purchased by the vendor in 2019 and extensively restored before being rented out for $500 per week - the robbing bastard. Anyway, he wanted to sell it as he needed the money for another real estate development that he is working on closer to his home in Tolga.

The block (as shown in the aerial view) as neighbours to the left and at the top. Bottom is the street frontage (a dead-end road) and to the right is parkland. All good for my dog Levy.

Last edited:
Here are some photos of my new (to me) humble little abode.
ZiyNYvv.jpg

NiIIf3f.jpg

0ITY6be.jpg

STjyORt.jpg

This little cottage was built in the mid to late 1940s. It was purchased by the vendor in 2019 and extensively restored before being rented out for $500 per week - the robbing bastard. Anyway, he wanted to sell it as he needed the money for another real estate development that he is working on closer to his home in Tolga.

The block (as shown in the aerial view) as neighbours to the left and at the top. Bottom is the street frontage (a dead-end road) and to the right is parkland. All good for my dog Levy.
Looks like a granny flat house

Congratulations @rbscebu, it's a great experience owning your home for the first time. When we bought our first home (in 1990) even the 17% interest rate was bearable by comparison to flushing money down the drain in rent.

That was a little weatherboard too. I've loved wooden houses ever since I arrived in Australia. Yours looks lovely, I hope you're going to be very happy there.

I need larger digs to accommodate my ever growing SR shaving hobby so have decided to bite the bullet and buy my first house.

Currently I live in a rented farmer shed about 50km outside of Mareeba, out Mutchilba way. It's just me and my dog. I have found a house in town (Mareeba) that is within my budget and signed on the dotted line. Settlement is 11 March.

This house is a small two-bedroom cottage with extra sleepout on ¼ acre. Perfect for my needs. The second bedroom will my SR room and the sleepout for the occasional visitor.

My move is planned for Wednesday 13 March. I hate moving so hopefully this will be my last move.

Over the next couple of weeks. I expect to be rather busy trying to juggle the move and still trying to keep up with my professional work. I'll post a pic of the house here later.
Good luck with your move, congratulations on buying your home,

Congratulations 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Huge achievement 👍🏻
For us still a dream. Hope one day we will buy a house as well.
And the size is fantastic. Thats all you need👍🏻

Congratulations 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Huge achievement 👍🏻
For us still a dream. Hope one day we will buy a house as well.
And the size is fantastic. Thats all you need👍🏻
That was the hardest part, finding a house that suited my needs. Most house are three or more bedrooms and priced as such. The few smaller houses available were on blocks of about 600m², not good enough for Levy.

Onya Richard, my wife and I recently spent a week touring around Mareeba and Atherton (staying at the caravan park in Tolga) very pretty area with a lot of history 👍
I spent about three decades based in Cairns. About two or three times a month I visited the Atherton Tablelands, mainly on motorcycle rides.

I never really appreciate the benefits of living on the Atherton Tablelands until I moved here upon my return to Australia in 2021 from living in the Philippines.