New Omega

Drubbing

110% Smiley-Free
Just got one of these

wp3b57d0b0_05.jpg

Haven't bought anything for ages, beyond top ups, but this took my eye because of the big resin handle. PJ did a world class job with my Dad's brush, which is a little of the same shape, and this shape is just really ergo and looks cool.

Two problems. The one I received was box marked. It came in a fancy hard-felted box, and a black ring was left around the wide point. The logo was partially wiped, and there's patches missing on the handle colour. Still, only $20. I did contact peter at Connaught, thinking it was a second, given the sale. He apologised, doesn't check any of them, all were assumed to be good. He will refund 50%. No problem, when Smog are selling brushes in handles like this for over $70...

Sadly, the knot is a dud too; smogtastic. Omegas premium, like Smog, seems to want to be badger. This brush has zero guts. Nothing to do with specs, you could halve the size of this and it would still flop. If I pretend it's a cheap, non stritchy badger, then it's ok and lots of people will find these way better value than smogs. As a boar, it sucks arse.

But the handle is great. I can live with the minor flaws for $10, most of the black has come off with some scrubbing. It would probably take a Finest TGN knot really well, and I might do that down the track.

Just got one of these

View attachment 446

Haven't bought anything for ages, beyond top ups, but this took my eye because of the big resin handle. PJ did a world class job with my Dad's brush, which is a little of the same shape, and this shape is just really ergo and looks cool.

Two problems. The one I received was box marked. It came in a fancy hard-felted box, and a black ring was left around the wide point. The logo was partially wiped, and there's patches missing on the handle colour. Still, only $20. I did contact peter at Connaught, thinking it was a second, given the sale. He apologised, doesn't check any of them, all were assumed to be good. He will refund 50%. No problem, when Smog are selling brushes in handles like this for over $70...

Sadly, the knot is a dud too; smogtastic. Omegas premium, like Smog, seems to want to be badger. This brush has zero guts. Nothing to do with specs, you could halve the size of this and it would still flop. If I pretend it's a cheap, non stritchy badger, then it's ok and lots of people will find these way better value than smogs. As a boar, it sucks arse.

But the handle is great. I can live with the minor flaws for $10, most of the black has come off with some scrubbing. It would probably take a Finest TGN knot really well, and I might do that down the track.

Inspite of the box marking (that's a new term to me!) and the gutless knot what you're saying is that it's a really nice handle. What a bummer. Why can't they just produce a brush with a really nice handle with a standard boar knot instead of justifying the price with useless attempts at trying to artificially make boar seem like badger.

I looked at the 42 for the handle too. There's no question that the knots in the premium line are way softer than the unbleached, but mine's kept enough backbone to do a decent job with any soap or cream so far. It doesn't eat 'em up like the unbleached 49, but it's nice to use.

Hard for me to compare boars I guess, having never tried a Semogue. It would, however, be fair to say that the first stop on the Omega train should be an unbleached knot. They are better.

Why can't they just produce a brush with a really nice handle with a standard boar knot instead of justifying the price with useless attempts at trying to artificially make boar seem like badger.

Given my experience with every other Omega, that's what I'd hoped for. They obviously think people want something fancier, with a plush handle.

How do these premium Omega's compare to the high end Smog options like the SOC?

Just araldite a bolt in the handle and screw this puppy on Drubs.

It might have enough backbone for you but I'm not making any promises!

Just araldite a bolt in the handle and screw this puppy on Drubs.

It might have enough backbone for you but I'm not making any promises!

I think you're talking Drooling Banjos...

I'm still using this 42. I might be wrong - not about it being too soft, but about liking it. Just disappointed it wasn't what I expected. It still works. It'll work on soaps just fine.

I even dug out this one, which I forgot about - same kind of feel but shorter. Should have known what I was getting by adding 10mm

yhst-96829732451264_2260_37676953.gif