New Player

Dredd

Hi guys,

I'm wanting to get into DE Shaving. I've been reading the forums @ whilrlpool and also watching many youtube video's. The more I research the more i'm unsure what to buy. The main reasons for trying this is from suffering from pimples, ingrown hairs etc on my lower neck. For years i've put up with it thinking there was nothing i could do and sometimes it can be quite painful. I stumbled across the DE thread @ whirlpool and here i am.
I'd like to get setup for as little as possible. I've been looking at online stores and ebay etc.
I was looking at this kit here Men's Biz Budget Wet Shaving Kit . That would be the maximum i could spend atm (but it's out of stock). I've been looking at ebay, but i'm not sure i would trust the really cheap razors.
I've even been looking in Secondhand stores for a good secondhand unit but haven't come across any.
Any advice from members would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Jason

Hi Jason. Welcome to Paste and Cut.

I'm sure a couple people will be along with some good advice soon.

As far as razors go, I have a few that were PIF'd to me at some time or other so I'd be happy to donate a good quality TTO (twist to open) razor to your new adventure. I will throw in a few packs of blades to start you off too.

So that's your razor and blades sorted out.

PM me your address.

Head over to MensBiz and grab some cream and a brush.

You can pick up an Omega Pure Bristle for $24, and a D R Harris Sampler creams pack for $14.95. So that's $40 delivered. Or even go the Omega Shave Cream Bowl for $10.75 if you are super cost conscious.

You can worry about aftershave and such later.

The main thing is to use a brush and some soap or cream and that should help a lot with your ingrown hairs and pimples. As you have found out, the stuff in cans is evil.

Last edited:
Wow, don't know what to say, thanks :) Really appreciate it, and thanks for the advice for the cream and brush.

Jason

G'day Jason, welcome. I also made the jump over here from Whirlpool about nine months ago, and I couldn't have picked a better place to learn. Jug's suggestions are great, but as an alternative to the D.R Harris sampler, I'd suggest the Geo F. Trumper sample pack. The cream samples are smaller, but it does include some of their skin food which will help you out post-shave at the start. Little bit cheaper too at $10, and the skin food is extremely nice on raw skin.

I started into wetshaving for much the same reasons as you, razor bumps and rash on my neck. With practice and good technique and preparation, I've pretty much eliminated any problems (other than the self-inflicted) and I have no doubt that it'll be great for you too. Just remember, good things take time and don't be discouraged if you don't get the results you expected at first. Some sage advice someone once gave me; go for a comfortable shave first, then go for a close one.

Thanks for the input, will look at the skin food. I plan to take it slow :)

And don't even think about shaving against grain. So forget whatever you used to do with the cartridge/ disposable razors and only shave with or across the direction that your hair grows.

I've been looking at youtube videos. It's funny, in all the years i've been shaving (probably almost 20 years) it's never occurred to me to cross shave.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome. Bit of a pain when you first join as posts have to run past a moderator. Have fun. I'm sure you won't have to fork out much for a while. Plenty of people with plenty of gear they're only too happy to pass on.

Hello and welcome. Bit of a pain when you first join as posts have to run past a moderator. Have fun. I'm sure you won't have to fork out much for a while. Plenty of people with plenty of gear they're only too happy to pass on.

Yeah, wasn't sure what was going on. Have fixed it up a bit ;)

The response has been amazing, very generous.

Yeah, wasn't sure what was going on. Have fixed it up a bit ;)

The response has been amazing, very generous.

Another (belated) hello and welcome!

Hang around here a bit and a whole Aladdin's Cave may just open up for you. Even if it doesn't the others have some great advice, nobody listens to me.

Happy shaving!

Further greetinjgs upon your head good sir.

I too welcome you to the world of DE shaving (of course after you get good at this I will be pleased to introduce you to the world of TM shaving).

Anyway send me your address as I will be able to flick some blades in your diretion.

As I found when I first joined you wont have to buy much for your first few years.

As I found when I first joined you wont have to buy much for your first few years.
But you will anyway.

Welcome aboard.

Keep an eye on the PIF (pay it forward) area these guys are very generous to newbies. I have some creams/soaps I will be moving along soon as they don't suit me.

I must admit, i had to google PIF as i hadn't seen it before :) I've tried googling TM shaving but not sure what that is.

Ahh the TM Method. The creator if this method is our own GThomas. If you spend a bit of time looking around our forums I reckon you will find the thread explaining the TM Method.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome.

I'd be surprised if you actually need to buy very much of anything to get you going- you should be able to get a basic starter pack via PIFs.

Ahh the TM Method. The creator if this method is our own GThomas. If you spend a bit of time looking around our forums I reckon you will find the thread explaining the TM Method.

If not, it's guaranteed that GT will jump in to explain. He never fails in that regard.

Welcome aboard Dredd.

Plenty of stuff floating around for sure here. I'm sure you'll get underway, underbudget.

Don't watch too many youtube vids. I recommend just sticking with the "Mantic" ones.

Also don't stress too much about it. People did this for years and even longer with straights and they didn't chop their heads off...at least with anything as innocuous as a safety razor.

I'm looking forward to next week when i have all the 'tools'. I've only ever used Gillette mach type razors and shaving cream from a can so even the shaving brush and cream is a new thing for me.

If not, it's guaranteed that GT will jump in to explain. He never fails in that regard.

Or I may leave it , in all modesty, to my chief publicist. On the other hand it may be a kidness to let Dredd get a few shaves into this world first before the baffling with bullshit starts :)

Even if it doesn't the others have some great advice, nobody listens to me.

That's because listening to you, or reading your posts inevitably ends up costing us money.

Dredd, you will find many subjects, like this one go off topic quite rapidly.