October 2013 Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I purchased a dremel :) i used it to clean rust spots if my straight razors. Carbon steel feels better on my skin but I love the ease of my stainless steel razors haha

Another DR - with a shipper, see here.

Came into today:

NOS US Executive set, see here.

I think we can now see why you were trying to shift some old stock!

All I am waiting for is a bottle of minty fresh Aqua Velva on the shaving front.

I do have a couple of non-shaving purchases in the pipeline - anyone tried Gold Bond and would like to comment on it / tell me where they got it in Aus?

I also have my eye on another watch, having managed to restrain myself from the Obris Morgan. This time it is a Chinese 200m water resistant automatic which seems to be really good value. Except there are currently none in stock.

Only a* fountain pen here.

* in case the wife is reading... if not you can mentally add "or five"...

I like the idea of fountain pens, but I just don't do enough writing (cheque books don't seem to exist here like they did 10-15 years ago in the UK) and my handwriting just doesn't deserve one.

I think we can now see why you were trying to shift some old stock!

You actually don't know the half of it!

Confession time but only amongst P&C members ...

I’m not sure how this has happened but I already have a pretty complete rhodium Executive set but it only has half of the presentation box.

So I was interested in the last of the NOS sets that finished last night - these were the remaining four of a box of six purchased at a yard sale!

I thought I’d set up my snipe to not bid on the backup one if I won the first one, it seems that it didn’t work, so I ended up with two:

Gillette Executive Razor Case Mirror Extra Blades Boxes Complete 1 | eBay

Gillette Executive Razor Case Mirror Extra Blades Boxes Complete 2 | eBay

So add insult to injury, I’d noticed this one finishing a little earlier and put what I thought was a low ball bid on it as a backup to the backup, these don’t come up very often, it was just enough to win:

Vintage Gillette Executive Rhodium Plated Double Edge | eBay

So I effectively woke up that morning with four sets – my existing one and these three new ones - and a SIGNIFICANT hole in my wallet.

Oh dear, oh dear…

Fortunately I was able to find other collectors interested in the other NOS set (although on a time payment basis) and the backup set I got as well as my existing set.

I was very very lucky :)

See the Questions section of that one. Does anyone else find that sort of thing off-putting? I think 99/100 times such a question is asked, someone is trying to pull a fast one over the eyes of the seller and get the item on the cheap - especially when (as in this case) the seller has no history in shaving equipment. If I ever got asked that in an auction I think I would ban the askee from winning.

I know that house auctions in Australia work in a similar way and can be sold at any stage prior to the auction, but I don't think that is how they should work. Once you commit to an auction that should be the end of the story. If the auction doesn't meet your reserve, only then should you be able to go back to the market.

I would like to add that I don't mind the idea of low-ball bids - if that is what the market was willing to pay, then it sucks to be the seller, but to try to steal an item from an unknowledgeable seller by insidiously suggesting a (presumably) low Buy it Now grinds my gears.

/rant.

Last edited:
See the Questions section of that one. Does anyone else find that sort of thing off-putting? I think 99/100 times such a question is asked, someone is trying to pull a fast one over the eyes of the seller and get the item on the cheap - especially when (as in this case) the seller has no history in shaving equipment., but to try to steal an item from an unknowledgeable seller by insidiously suggesting a (presumably) low Buy it Now grinds my gears.

/rant.

But Mark had to at least ask the question :)

But Mark had to at least ask the question :)

I think Mark has said that he will do that under only very exceptional circumstances. I am not saying that anyone who asks is an arsehole, just that without an explanation it would feel suspiciously like that to me.

On a couple of occasions after I've had some communication already with a seller (clarifying questions and the like), I've asked if they might consider an offer. I think it's mostly a matter of personal integrity. I try to make an offer that is both reasonable to the seller but still somewhat favourable to me, and make it clear that if the seller doesn't wish to accept then that's no problem, I'll bid on the item regardless. The way I see it, as long as you're not seeking to deceive the seller or undermine their sale, there's no harm in making an offer and trying your luck. I do, however, prefer to make contact via personal message or email rather than asking publically. I think that's more respectful towards the seller and the auction process.

I haven't purchased anything shaving related for a while. I made a pledge to myself that I wouldn't buy anything new until I actually finish something, but I'm going to Sicily in a bit over a month and I've hunted down a couple of barbershops there, so that'll be my thrifty attitude done.

It is the deception that bothers me. If you already have a relationship with someone then that changes matters, especially as seeing that is the case, both of you have a rough idea of what an item may be worth.

GT, I think Marks name might not be "Chance".

Last edited:
removal of a mean sentence restructure

Fixed it for you Eggy Amazing what how sentence struture can change things (With the most abject of apologies to the leading publicist of the TM and generous seller of shiny razors) (and of course to Eggy -I just saw the possibilities and couldn't resist).

Last edited:
My writing is appalling, but less so with a fountain pen... We've not had cheques here widespread for about 6 or 7 years now (no retail outlet will take them)... I still make all my notes at work using an analogue notebook and FP so all is good (plus nobody will borrow my FP to use because they don't understand it and its easy to spot who used it)

Oh look what I found, but where did all of his stock go? It seems like there is only 1 pack left.
Schick Plus Platinum DE Blades Bullgoose Shaving Supplies

They weren't cheap $105 for 85 blades, but bearable given how few and far between they have become.

WOOT WOOT - congrats :eek:mg:

I think Mark has said that he will do that under only very exceptional circumstances. I am not saying that anyone who asks is an arsehole, just that without an explanation it would feel suspiciously like that to me.

If i see something I want without a bid I will contact the seller as follows:

'I'd prefer that you let the auction run but if you are looking for a quick sale and have a BIN price in mind please let me know'

This can result in them:

1. saying so they will let the auction run - good result, they let the auction run, all is fair.
  2. indicating that I'm not the only person to ask - good result, they let the auction run, all is fair. (other low ball offers may effectively be negated)
  3. saying yes I want $X for the item. If it is a fair price I say yes. If to much I will decline. if ridiculously low I will make a higher (counter) offer at what i feel is the minimum fair (I can sleep at night) price I would pay.

I do this because I've missed out on two many sets with low ball offers being accepted. In one case a B&B member who had sold a particular razor for $300+ two weeks earlier offered a seller $40 for the same razor and convinced the seller he wanted to use if etc etc. As it happened I'd spoken to that seller a week before on another item and didn't bother to ask about this one thinking he would again let the auction run. Three weeks later that razor bought for $40 was sold for $250 at a different B&B member (keeping it away from eBay) who had posted a WTB.

We all like a good deal - but you have to be able to live with yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.