Official P&C Equine Brush club

Sounds like a winner to me. Unfortunately I've got half a dozen brushes already including a wee little Vie-Long standard horsey.

Well, seeing as you have a normal one, you can perhaps answer a different question, PJ. I've seen some people suggest that the regular horse hair can tangle and lose density in the center of the knot with lofts over 50mm, and that they don't tolerate a decent circular scrub well. Any truth to this? Seems like nonsense, but I'm wondering if I should bother asking for a lower loft from G&C. If I buy a white horse I'll get a dark unbleached one too, I'm thinking I'd like a pair of 24mm knots set around 50mm loft might be nice to keep 'em pretty firm.

That's got the usual B&B bullshit written all over it. I'm sure they would have stopped making horse hair brushes decades ago if that was the case. If that happens with horse it'll happen with any bristle. Personally I only use small brushes but a nicely packed 24/50 horse knot would be perfectly fine if you like biggish ones. My little horse brush handles anything. Horse hair is pretty stiff.

The only brush that I had that matted in the Center was a Chinese one that was a mixed "Goat". (Inexpensive and thought I'd give it a try, Wrong!)
Best horse I've used has been from Bestshave.net. ~3$!! Great brush!