Paste & Cut Travelling Box #4A - Reviews and Comments

Woot Woot!

In transit
With Australia Post for delivery today
7:57am Tue 11 Apr
North Mackay, QLD

Looking forward to the pics and reviews @Sxot

And here it is. 99% whole - one tub's lid has broken into several pieces but that's it. Private and Confidential even! Got to keep my addictions under wraps.

First Question: Do we know what model the DE is?

And here it is. 99% whole - one tub's lid has broken into several pieces but that's it.

If that is a soap tub - they can be purchased from Woolies. Glad it arrived fairly safely.

Private and Confidential even! Got to keep my addictions under wraps.

of course

First Question: Do we know what model the DE is?

Ummm, did you read the contents list on the back of the instructions card?

If that is a soap tub - they can be purchased from Woolies. Glad it arrived fairly safely. Ummm, did you read the contents list on the back of the instructions card?

On the BACK of the card... no.

Woolies, right. Will do.

we are men...we never read instructions.
espcially hidden ones on the BACK of things

ps: cant wait for your frist proudct review tomorrow :D

Yeah - I did think that - BUT couldn't fit everything on the front!

Gonna be very interesting to see who is game to try that razor and who is not.....

Hrmmm I did look it up but not very thoroughly. Doesn't appear to be anything too threatening but you comment has me second guessing. Doesn't matter as I will take it for a run. Probably over the weekend when I have some time to burn.

So went through the box last night and sorted out what I do and don't want to try. That cut it in half, then sniffed the soaps and put away anything that didn't appeal to me. That cut me down to about five soaps, two A/S and a balm I've never heard of before. Oh, and the Mule Razor. On with the reviews then.

Keen to try some Aussie goodness I reached for the
Whispers From the Woods - Spearmint, Lavender and Vetiver Shaving Soap.

Am I allowed to be critical here? It is a review right?

Ingredients: Stearic acid, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, coconut water, coconut oil, shea butter, coco butter, avocado oil, glycerin, castor oil, bentonite clay, essential oils.
Price: $20 for 80g tin

Loaded easily, took a goodly amount of water. Built nicely on the face, good volume of bubble free dense lather. It was excellent in all areas except glide and residual glide. To be fair to Alex, I will concede loading off the smaller surface area may have lead to under loading although I used a small brush and loaded well to account for this. Tomorrow I will scoop it all out and put it into a bowl and see if that makes any difference. I really shouldn't be commenting on a soap after one use anyway! This soap contains clay, which says to me this is a body soap maker who has had a crack at shave soap without any experience of same. Wherever I look researching shave soap the only folks suggesting to add clay are body soap makers and IME without fail women (no face shaving experience). I also don't see any well established artisan or even many commercial soap makers using clay. In my own soap making experience it is completely unnecessary and may be a hindrance in other areas. Personally I don't like to see it. Otherwise the ingredients list is clean. Post shave feel was neutral which is good. Scent was very nice, although on the weak side for me. If you would like a reference point, APR soaps are co-incidentally bang on where I like it.

Summary: This is a great soap which possibly requires a bit more glide and residual glide. It can do without the clay too. Stay tuned in the next couple of days for a re-run to see if I am to blame for the lack of glide. I am travelling tomorrow so likely you won't see me pop up again until Friday.

Floid Vigaroso

Ingredients: Aqua (Water) (Eau), Alcohol Denat., Glycerin, Parfum (Fragrance), Coumarin, Limonene, Benzyl Benzoate, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Benzyl Salicylate, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Amyl Cinnamal, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Evernia Furfuracea (Treemoss) Extract, Benzyl Cinnamate, Benzyl Alcohol, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Menthol, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, CI 19140 (Yellow 5), CI 16255, CI 73015.
Price: $25 for 150ml

I've seen this around and have been wanting to try it, and 'Blue' for some time but the ingredients list has put me off. It's not too bad but I avoid anything unnecessary were possible especially when it comes to be put onto my face. The CI number are colours, Benzyl Benzoate is a solvent & preservative, there are a bunch of plant derived aroma chemicals, and not much else. I am happy to be corrected but I don't see much there by way of skin food so I put this into the class of an aroma only splash. That's not a bad thing if that's what you are after so in that case great, lets move on.

The fragrance here is great. I do really like it and it lasted until about 11am before starting to fade. At 12:30 it's still there but faint. The menthol is a welcome addition, even on a cool morning. It's high enough to be felt, but not too high to chill. This in addition to the fragrance made me feel awake and invigorated. Face feel was good, although I did opt for a tiny bit of balm since there isn't much in the way of skin food as mentioned earlier. Note, the Floid Suave is apparently identical in fragrance, but minus the menthol.

Summary: A great scent, with good face feel. Invigorating and appropriate even on a winters morning. I wouldn't use this in isolation post shave and the ingredients maybe of a minor concern to some.

Currently bush for Easter so this is done with brevity on via my phone.

Re-ran WitW today. Wee Scot this time. I filled that brush within an inch of its life, lathered and went back for more. Very little water compared to attempt #1. This time good glide was present and found an excellent post shave feel. Residual glide also now apparent. Paired with Skin Bracer (which had leaked to only 1/2 remaining) I do like this scent. Very fresh and invigorating working well with the spearmint in the soap and a little menthol.

Conclusion: WinW is another excellent Aussie soap with a simple and moderate to low strength scent. Skin bracer does as I would expect although fades fast. Lovely and refreshing with good face feel.

I will consider getting some of this soap and splash as they are a good summer combo but the likes of APR & B&M have spoilt me with complex accords and true perfumery in the soap and matching splashes with top shelf skin food ingredients. Basic single layer scents feel disappointing to me.

Zloep4a.jpg

Travel/Camping shave.

On review today is the Mule DE. Decided to start with a known blade, Ladas which I find smooth and efficient. Soap, Arko providing top shelf suds with world leading glide and residual slickness. Wee Scot, tiny but punches well above its weight giving enough for three passes although only two used here today. Antisol and TSW After Balm to finish for BBS.

The razor design is very aesthetically pleasing with the unusual comb/safety bar design. Not being a DE affionardo Im not sure but I think this qualifies it as an open comb. Limited Internet prevents research however it appears to be chrome finish. Balance is good with the head being heavier. Larger handle diameter than I am used to feels nice with moderate level of knurling. As I did not have running water and rinse in suds I did end up with soapy fingers and found it to be slippery I think due to the chrom rounding the corners of the knurling. At home, with running water this would not be an issue unless you commonly find yourself with soap on your hands. The comb did clog up but I believe with running water it would clear easily. As a result of using a soap stick direct on the face can lead to a layer of more dense lather which can clog. Loading in a tub does not do this so I will blame the soap/lack of running water on the clogging. I also have a habit of pushing DEs too far shaving up to entire pass without rinsing on a single side. With a straight this is no problem but a DE will start to have clogging issues.

Two passes, WTG/ATG for only minor irritation but BBS. I found the shave smooth and comfortable. The irritation is to be expected for a first use and also because of the dry air here that my face is not accoustomed to.

Summary; This is an excellent razor which I would happily have in my Shave Billabong. Paired with a Ladas it was smooth and efficient feeling nice in the hand and good balance. Finish is top notch and my only complaint may be for slightly more aggressive knurling. If you are in the market, I find this an excellent choice.

Keen to try some Aussie goodness I reached for the
Whispers From the Woods - Spearmint, Lavender and Vetiver Shaving Soap.

Am I allowed to be critical here? It is a review right?

Ingredients: Stearic acid, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, coconut water, coconut oil, shea butter, coco butter, avocado oil, glycerin, castor oil, bentonite clay, essential oils.
Price: $20 for 80g tin

Loaded easily, took a goodly amount of water. Built nicely on the face, good volume of bubble free dense lather. It was excellent in all areas except glide and residual glide. To be fair to Alex, I will concede loading off the smaller surface area may have lead to under loading although I used a small brush and loaded well to account for this. Tomorrow I will scoop it all out and put it into a bowl and see if that makes any difference. I really shouldn't be commenting on a soap after one use anyway! This soap contains clay, which says to me this is a body soap maker who has had a crack at shave soap without any experience of same. Wherever I look researching shave soap the only folks suggesting to add clay are body soap makers and IME without fail women (no face shaving experience). I also don't see any well established artisan or even many commercial soap makers using clay. In my own soap making experience it is completely unnecessary and may be a hindrance in other areas. Personally I don't like to see it. Otherwise the ingredients list is clean. Post shave feel was neutral which is good. Scent was very nice, although on the weak side for me. If you would like a reference point, APR soaps are co-incidentally bang on where I like it.

Summary: This is a great soap which possibly requires a bit more glide and residual glide. It can do without the clay too. Stay tuned in the next couple of days for a re-run to see if I am to blame for the lack of glide. I am travelling tomorrow so likely you won't see me pop up again until Friday.
Interestingly Mike's Natural Soaps and Mystic Waters both contain clay and are both highly regarded and touted by many (including myself) to be some of the best available....

From memory I have seen either Kaolin or Bentonite clay listed as an ingredient for quite a number of shaving soaps.

Zloep4a.jpg

Travel/Camping shave.

On review today is the Mule DE. Decided to start with a known blade, Ladas which I find smooth and efficient. Soap, Arko providing top shelf suds with world leading glide and residual slickness. Wee Scot, tiny but punches well above its weight giving enough for three passes although only two used here today. Antisol and TSW After Balm to finish for BBS.

The razor design is very aesthetically pleasing with the unusual comb/safety bar design. Not being a DE affionardo Im not sure but I think this qualifies it as an open comb. Limited Internet prevents research however it appears to be chrome finish. Balance is good with the head being heavier. Larger handle diameter than I am used to feels nice with moderate level of knurling. As I did not have running water and rinse in suds I did end up with soapy fingers and found it to be slippery I think due to the chrom rounding the corners of the knurling. At home, with running water this would not be an issue unless you commonly find yourself with soap on your hands. The comb did clog up but I believe with running water it would clear easily. As a result of using a soap stick direct on the face can lead to a layer of more dense lather which can clog. Loading in a tub does not do this so I will blame the soap/lack of running water on the clogging. I also have a habit of pushing DEs too far shaving up to entire pass without rinsing on a single side. With a straight this is no problem but a DE will start to have clogging issues.

Two passes, WTG/ATG for only minor irritation but BBS. I found the shave smooth and comfortable. The irritation is to be expected for a first use and also because of the dry air here that my face is not accoustomed to.

Summary; This is an excellent razor which I would happily have in my Shave Billabong. Paired with a Ladas it was smooth and efficient feeling nice in the hand and good balance. Finish is top notch and my only complaint may be for slightly more aggressive knurling. If you are in the market, I find this an excellent choice.
Great review of the razor @Sxot and you are certainly very brave to use the razor for a first outing in non-familiar conditions. I too personally found that the razor was not really anything to be worried about but requires a reasonable level of technique to use. Furthermore It really rewards excellent technique in my experience.

Zloep4a.jpg

Travel/Camping shave.

You tamed that beast without missing a beat!

Interestingly Mike's Natural Soaps and Mystic Waters both contain clay and are both highly regarded and touted by many (including myself) to be some of the best available....

From memory I have seen either Kaolin or Bentonite clay listed as an ingredient for quite a number of shaving soaps.

Wasn't aware Mystic had it, but I'm not a fan anyway. Never tried Mikes. Maybe I need to review ingredients lists again. I still don't believe it's required and might have other negative effects.

Great review of the razor @Sxot and you are certainly very brave to use the razor for a first outing in non-familiar conditions. I too personally found that the razor was not really anything to be worried about but requires a reasonable level of technique to use. Furthermore It really rewards excellent technique in my experience.

I had no idea it had a reputation! I used a well known set-up here so that I could be confident everything was spot on with the razor the only unknown.

Same set-up as yesterday, but tried out Local Gent Bay Rum soap and included my own lotion, Abbie & Grace Soap Works Alpha 1.0.

Local Gent sample is quite small so pressed it into a bowl and lathered from there. This would allow me to load the entire sample on a sufficiently surface area. Starting with a shaken dry Wee Scot I whipped up a fine lather with only dipping the brush for more water twice. The soap ticks all the boxes producing a slightly thinner lather than I prefer but performs very well. Sent was not sweet and pleasant, lacking the spice of the only two other Bay Rums I have tried in the past. Strength was medium to low and complexity is basic. Very pleasant. I wish that I had more bay run experience to comment further. In all, it's an above average soap performing well without being outstanding in any one area. This demonstrates how high the bar is these days! I would recommend this soap without hesitation. The price at The Stray Whisker for their "export edition" (which this is) is more than reasonable assuming you are okay with providing your own container. I've had this soap on the radar for a while but lacking and reviews have hesitated. I will very likely grab some with my next TSW order I should think.

Another two pass BBS shave. Sadly my fellow campers decided to wash up/ make coffee etc whilst I was trying to enjoy a quiet leisurely shave. Being asked to move every minute with jostling either side is not a good start to the day!

Tomorrow I shall take a chair and table out into the paddock where I can shave in isolation!

0LgVh4Q.jpg

Back from the bush and back in my Billabong.

Today I went with a nice soft butterscotch Simpson and Squadron Soaps - Sweetheart. Tanifuji SR, Floid AS.

Well, these reviews are getting boring as I have to agree with previous reviews of Squadron in that it is another very good soap ticking all the boxes. Aussies rule! The shave was excellent and I was only left for wanting a bit more glide. I tend prefer quite a bit of glide than most I think so that's just personal preference. You really won't be disappointed with the performance of this soap. The label is a fail for me and one I would never buy for that reason alone. I will cannot condone objectification of women (or men), and certainly cannot abide with having nudity on my products. That said, and I can hear the murmuring from here, this is likely an uncommon opinion, but it is mine. I acknowledge the relevance to the theme but I don't see it's necessary. The scent is nice, very pleasant. Present but not strong fading quickly. It is not a complex accord. Consistency is on the soft side but I don't foresee any issues loading particularly stiff brushes, ingredients list is clean and tight.

Finished off with the Floid again for a great face feel and DFS+ in two passes. Top start to the day.