Pb Smokey Lavender

Pbgoose

It's been far too long between soap cooks. The irony's of life. I finally have a meth soap lab but hardly ever get to use it for that as our house reno's will ensure any time I have is committed for a good while yet. Anyway...... I'm on holidays and I'm gonna cook soap.

I've never had the desire to do a lavender soap. It just seemed too boring and lavender soap is the mainstay of any hand soap production I do. However there are some lavender aficionado's out their who just like their lavender so I was curious to see if I could put my twist to it.

I remember my first introduction to handmade soap bought at the local markets. It was a lavender soap with a camphor accent that really caught my attention. I try and capture that sometimes with my hand soaps, but I wanted to do something different for the shave soap without straying too far from the purists lavender.

I was really pleased with the test scent made up in July 2023 but as always the test scent is never truly replicated in the soap process for a number of reasons including base oil choice and saponification and I made the soap on a fresh batch of Smokey Lavender essential oils so it didn't have the sophistication of the test scent which had months to develop. At this stage there is freshness and sweetness with a hint of smokiness (it's so easy for White Birch to take over) and hopefully the scent will develop with age. There is hint of earthiness and depth.

Test shave was great with the Colonial General with plenty body to the lather, so I expect it will perform well with straight razors. I love clays in my shave soaps and I used Brazilian Purple Clay to give the appropriate coloring but perhaps a lower dose of clay and some alkanet root maybe part of a 2nd iteration.

I'll spend time with this first iteration to decide if I make changes but for now it was a worthwhile exercise, if for nothing else but to get back into the soap lab. :)

Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Castor Oil, Tallow (Beef), Coconut Oil, Lanolin, Avocado Oil, Jojoba Oil, Water (RO), KOH, NaOH, Tussah Silk, Brazilian Purple Clay, Glycerine, Essential Oils.
Essential Oils: Lavender French Blend, Lavender Spain, Lavender True - French, Gurjun Balsam, Camphor, Elemi, Marjoram Sweet, White Birch.

NbONkqPl.jpg

It's been far too long between soap cooks. The irony's of life. I finally have a meth soap lab but hardly ever get to use it for that as our house reno's will ensure any time I have is committed for a good while yet. Anyway...... I'm on holidays and I'm gonna cook soap.

I've never had the desire to do a lavender soap. It just seemed too boring and lavender soap is the mainstay of any hand soap production I do. However there are some lavender aficionado's out their who just like their lavender so I was curious to see if I could put my twist to it.

I remember my first introduction to handmade soap bought at the local markets. It was a lavender soap with a camphor accent that really caught my attention. I try and capture that sometimes with my hand soaps, but I wanted to do something different for the shave soap without straying too far from the purists lavender.

I was really pleased with the test scent made up in July 2023 but as always the test scent is never truly replicated in the soap process for a number of reasons including base oil choice and saponification and I made the soap on a fresh batch of Smokey Lavender essential oils so it didn't have the sophistication of the test scent which had months to develop. At this stage there is freshness and sweetness with a hint of smokiness (it's so easy for White Birch to take over) and hopefully the scent will develop with age. There is hint of earthiness and depth.

Test shave was great with the Colonial General with plenty body to the lather, so I expect it will perform well with straight razors. I love clays in my shave soaps and I used Brazilian Purple Clay to give the appropriate coloring but perhaps a lower dose of clay and some alkanet root maybe part of a 2nd iteration.

I'll spend time with this first iteration to decide if I make changes but for now it was a worthwhile exercise, if for nothing else but to get back into the soap lab. :)

Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Castor Oil, Tallow (Beef), Coconut Oil, Lanolin, Avocado Oil, Jojoba Oil, Water (RO), KOH, NaOH, Tussah Silk, Brazilian Purple Clay, Glycerine, Essential Oils.
Essential Oils: Lavender French Blend, Lavender Spain, Lavender True - French, Gurjun Balsam, Camphor, Elemi, Marjoram Sweet, White Birch.

NbONkqPl.jpg
I do love the idea of smoky lavender, and I would love a tub in my den.

Sign me up if you ever make a limited batch for purchase as I'm becoming a fan of lavender and the Pbgoose base is supreme! 🙏

Sounds lovely!!

Do you find adding clays makes a perceptible difference during the shave?

Sounds lovely!!

Do you find adding clays makes a perceptible difference during the shave?
Yes! Bentonite is my favorite. Adds slickness and I feel it adds protection/cushion which I'm mainly looking for with my straight razors.
Interestingly @SpeedyPC 's criticism of Smokey Lavender was slickness to which I agree. Smokey Lavender has a large dose of Brazilian Purple Clay for the colour but the trade off was slickness. Cushion is still there. So as mentioned previously if I do a V2 of Smokey Lavender I would try less Brazilian Purple Clay, some alkanet root for the purple colour and some bentonite. :)

Yes! Bentonite is my favorite. Adds slickness and I feel it adds protection/cushion which I'm mainly looking for with my straight razors.
Interestingly @SpeedyPC 's criticism of Smokey Lavender was slickness to which I agree. Smokey Lavender has a large dose of Brazilian Purple Clay for the colour but the trade off was slickness. Cushion is still there. So as mentioned previously if I do a V2 of Smokey Lavender I would try less Brazilian Purple Clay, some alkanet root for the purple colour and some bentonite. :)

Cool, I'll try bentonite in my soap next time.
I have a bunch of it laying around as I make my own hair styling clay with bentonite and kaolin clays.

I'm having no trouble with slickness here. The lather needs plenty of water, to be sure, but I just give it that as I go - directly into the fibres of the brush, after having built the bulk of my lather in the bowl.

If @Pbgoose ever gets around to trying a V2 of this soap, I might still have a lot of the first one to use up first, it's a generous tub. :D (y)