PIF - Shave-Ready "Bengall" ⅝ Straight Razor (Worldwide)

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
Due to the benevolence of @Holiday, I am able to offer a shave-ready post 1924 T.R. Cadman "Bengall" ⅝ straight razor to a member of P&C.

This SR was provided to me in rather poor condition. It had minor but active rust, a chipped edge and badly UV deteriorated scales. I spent a few hours working on this SR to make it reasonably presentable but it is still no looker. It is probably the ugliest looking SR that I have offered to PIF, however it takes a wonderful shaving edge and should be well appreciated by whoever wins this PIF.

MUZWYEr.jpg

4N6UdXT.jpg

Razor Characteristics:

Manufacturer = T.R. Cadman & Sons Ltd, Sheffield, England​
Year of Manufacture = after 1924​
Blade material = high carbon steel​
Blade width = 15.5mm (5/8)​
Point style = Dutch (round)​
Grind = full hollow​
Edge length = 68mm​
Bevel angle = 19.3°​
Blade thickness at top of bevel = 0.34mm​
Stabilizers = one each side​
Spine decoration = none​
Jimps = bottom of shank​
Scales material = plastic​
Wedge = tapered plastic​
Pins = two of nickel allow​
Mass = 36g​

Razor Condition:

The blade is noticeably lightly pock-marked all over with some marks showing patina. The bevel on the reverse side has a small spot of patina extending onto the bevel about 15mm from the toe, however this patina is not deep enough to ever affect the edge. The blade closes well centred in the scales and is securely held at the pivot pin. I would guesstimate that this SR is at about half its lifespan so is probably only good for another 35,000 to 40,000 three-pass shaves.

The blade was honed with a taped spine while removing edge chips and then honed without tape from bevel-set to finishing on a diamond pasted balsa strop progression. This SR would suit a beginner in SR shaving and also an experienced SR shaver who wants to give it a go and possibly further restore it.

Rules:

1. This PIF is open to members worldwide.
2. You must have been a member of P&C on 30 October 2023.
3. The winner is to pay postage within 72 hours of winning (see postal rates below).

How to enter:

First to post "I win" wins this PIF.

I will contact the winner via PM as soon as I see his entry. The winner will then have 72 hours to pay the postage. If postage is not received by then, the the PIF will again be opened in this thread.

If you find that this SR is not for you, all I ask is that you return the razor to me. I will then refresh the blade's edge and PIF it to another member.

Postage Rates:

Australia = AU$2.70 in 5 to 10 business days
New Zealand = AU$17.60 (about US$11.40) in 8 to 12 business days
Asia/Pacific = AU$21.60 (about US$14.00) in 10 to 18 business days
US/Canada = AU$24.20 (about US$15.70) in 6 to 10 business days
Europe/UK & Brazil = AU$29.60 (about US$19.25 in 6 to 10 business days
Rest of world = AU$35.60 (about US$23.00) in 15 to 25 business days

Last edited: