PIF - Shave-Ready Straight Razor Shaving Kit

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
Through the kind benevolence of @LesC, I can offer this free shave-ready straight razor (SR) shaving kit. @LesC purchased this kit new to use to learn how to hone but then found that he didn't need it. He has passed it on to me to hone the SR and PIF it to a P&C member. I also added a kid-leather side to the included strop. Kid leather works just as well as normal clean leather for stropping.

This kit is recommended to a member who wishes to try out the gentlemanly art of SR shaving. and consists of:
  • A shave-ready (to my standard) Titan ACRM-s T.H.60 (model MW1).
  • PU leather zippered SR case with stainless steel surrounds.
  • Kid-leather/denim strop 60mm wide with brass plated steel hardware.
  • 5g of cerium oxide stropping wax in plastic container.
To shave with this SR, the winner will need to have a suitable shaving soap and brush. If you find that SR shaving is not for you, all I ask is that you return the razor to me. I will then refresh the blade's edge and PIF it to another member.

HjtRdPb.jpg

X410vfA.jpg

H5NOHoF.jpg

Straight Razor Characteristics:

Manufacturer = Titan Industry Co. Ltd,, Liyan, Taiwan​
Year of Manufacture = 2020s​
Blade material = high carbon steel (Japanese)​
Blade width = 20.5mm (6/8)​
Point style = Dutch (round)​
Grind = half hollow​
Edge length = 69mm​
Bevel angle = 19.3°​
Blade thickness at top of bevel = 0.43mm​
Stabilizers = none​
Spine decoration = none​
Jimps = bottom of shank​
Scales material = Madagascan mahogany timber with brass inlay​
Wedge = parallel of aluminium alloy​
Pins = two of brass​
Mass = 69g​

Honing:

Honed without tape and finished on a diamond pasted balsa strop progression.​
Rules:
  1. This PIF is open to members worldwide.
  2. Preference will be given to beginner SR shavers. (I will take your word on this.) If no beginners enter, all entries will be eligible.
  3. You must have been a member of P&C on 15 October 2023.
  4. The winner is to pay postage within 72 hours of winning via PayPal or BTC (on-chain or LN). See postal rates below.
  5. Entries close 2359hrs UTC Friday 27 October 2023. (That's Saturday morning in Australia.)
Postal Rates:

Australia = AU$12.20​
New Zealand = AU$18.10 (about US$11.40)​
Asia/Pacific = AU$22.20 (about US$14.00)​
US/Canada = AU$24.90 (about US$15.70)​
Europe/UK & Brazil = AU$30.60 (about US$19.25)​
Rest of world = AU$36.50 (about US$23.00)​

How To Enter:

To win this PIF requires skill. You need to determine how much dried dog food my Australian Kelpie dog, Levy, will eat between 0001hrs UTC Saturday 21 October 2023 and 2359hrs UTC Friday 27 October 2023.

To assist you in this determination, Levy is 3 years old and weighs in at 19kg. We live on a farm outside of Mareeba Qld where levy has the run of the property to play in. Being a citrus farm, Levy has nothing to herd but tries her best with the local Kangaroos. Her diet consists on whatever she can scrounge around the property, mainly road-kill kangaroos and the dried dog food that is available to her 24/7. She doesn't like her dried dog food and only eats it when really hungry. For the past two PIFs, Levy ate on average 183g and 194g respectively of dried dog food per day.
To enter just post in this thread "I'm in", with your determination of how must dried dog food Levy will eat (in grams) during the specified period and whether you are a beginner SR shaver. (e.g., I'm in 1282g beginner.) The nearest correct entry will win this wonderful PIF.

The winner will be notified via PM on P&C and here in this thread soon after the PIF closes. The winner will then have 72 hours to pay the postage. If postage is not received by then, the next closest to the actual amount eaten will be the winner.

Last edited:
If the instructions are followed, a beginner should be able to get 200 to 300 three-pass shaves out of this kit before the razor needs a refresh honing. When the razor needs a refresh honing, I will do it for free with the winner only paying shipping both ways.

The Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 SR is the same razor used by my students when beginning in the gentlemanly art. With its rather obtuse bevel angle, it is more forgiving to beginner mistakes yet still provides a close and comfortable shave.

The blade's steel contains some chromium. Not enough to be classed as a stainless steel but enough to noticeably reduce its propensity to oxidize.

Your withdrawal is not accepted. You are still in this PIF provided a real beginner(s) does not enter. The only way you can get out of it is if you win and do not pay the postage 😋.
Otherwise, keep the straight razor @StratMan if @rbscebu doesn't accept your withdrawal, and he also won't pay the postage cost.