Poor packing and ebay

No apology email, but I got a $10 refund off the seller.
That accounts for the postage, so now I have a $15 no name razor to try out.

How do you normally clean / sterilise old razors?

No apology email, but I got a $10 refund off the seller.
That accounts for the postage, so now I have a $15 no name razor to try out.

How do you normally clean / sterilise old razors?

Sounds like a jerk...funny how folks give the money back and yet without it costing a brass razoo they can't even bring themselves to say,"Sorry, my mistake" .....as stated, definite jerk.

Cleaning? Well thats a massive thng in itself depending on the metal it's made of and what you're wanting to remove. Soaking it in hot water (not boiling) with a small amount of dishwashing liquid is a good place to start. Scrub with a toothbrush and you'll have done the sterilising part as well.

I do find it odd that folks go massively over the top with sterilising old razors. Unless you bought it from a blood disease carrying person who literally used it, cut himself on it, bleed all over it and then had it priority couriered over to you it'd be very difficult to catch anything from an old razor (all this meant in a general sense NOT at @eggbert ) - so hot water and soap will achieve sterilising (though expect others will demand nothing short of autoclaving) - cleaning is really well covered in other areas pending more info on said razor. :)

You mean you don't autoclave your purchases @Nick the Knife ?

I'm a little worried now, can I catch anything through the keyboard responding to you?

Good, financial, outcome @eggbert

HIV virus is supposedly killed with 5 minutes decent sunlight!
I still soak in white vinegar then bi-carbonate soda though.

I use detol - a small cap with some hot water, leave it in for 10 min

Yeah when I pick up and old razor I normally wash with hot water and normal detergent first. Then go to a foaming bathroom cleaner (non-bleach) then depending on the condition will move on to a thorough cleaning with autosol and a dremel before bringing up a polish. I will give it a spray with Isopropyl alcohol between each step and let dry. It's probably overkill but makes some very grubby and sad looking razors look great and I know they are safe to use.

Vinegar! Vinegar is acidic - be careful ....
I know and it's diluted with hot water and also is why I follow with an alkaline in bi-carbonate soda and hot water, then a final rinse in hot water :)

.........How do you normally clean / sterilise old razors?

Maybe a quick toothbrush/paste going over but generally I just use them and they clean themselves. You are after all using them with a soap all the time. There's no way anything nasty is going to be living in a razor that hasn't been near a face for some time.

Normally I wouldn't have been so fussy, but this I've did smell a bit. Just a musty, old smell but made me want to give it a good clean before using it.