Proraso (Sensitive) Shaving Soap - Aloe & Green Tea

~Spyne~

SS-PRO-002.jpg
So I bought this a while ago, thinking it would be a good, cheap back-up soap/cream/croap for the occassional change-up with my TOBS Jermyn cream or those rare times where I run out of TOBS inbetween orders.
After all the reviews/comments I had read about Proraso being a great beginner's cream that would lather without trying, blah, blah, blah, I thought it would be a safe bet.
Alas, no.

Now I'm not exactly some n00b who's never lathered before. I've tried numerous TOBS creams, some Queen Charlotte samplers, Palmolive sticks, a RazoRock croap and a couple of Trumpers creams.
No matter what I try; face lathering, bowl lathering, boar, badger, minimal water, more water, lots of water, double or triple loading, I simply can NOT get this Proraso to make a satisfactory lather. I can get a lather that can be used for a single pass, but even then it's either too dry or too wet, more often than not, too wet. I have never got anything remotely close to a usable second-pass without heavily reloading the brush.
I have no idea how this particular croap could be recommended for beginners as the balance point is just about impossible to find.
The 'normal' Proraso might be a different beast, much more user-friendly, but even though it's cheap to try, I'm not spending money to find out when I can get either some TOBS or another Palmolive stick which work perfectly.

The scent is nice, and there is still a little bit of menthol in there to 'freshen' up your face when you rinse off which is nice.

Overall, I'd rate this 4/10. YMMV
Pros:
Cheap
Nice, classic scent that's not too overpowering
Slight menthol tingle
Available just about everywhere

Cons:
Just will not lather properly for me.

Hmm. That's an interesting experience with the soap.

Maybe you got a dud one?

Are you looking to offload it? I'll put my hand up if so..

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no......down Mar(c)o, down......

That's just plain silly talk Spyne. Italians invented shaving, soft soaps, gentlemanly behaviour and the most comprehensive, almost religious, guide to creating lathers from Italian soft soaps and now you've just flown in the face of all that. You're on your own here.

Sorry guys, I know it's blasphemous of me to say anything negative about Proraso, but try as I might, I just can't get it to work. I had a similar experience with the cream in a tube ('normal' Proraso variant). Maybe it's the water here in Ballarat?
I'll stick with my TOBS creams thanks :)

Jug, shoot me your address and I'll see what I can do :)

Last edited:
Spyne, you aren't on your own on this one....whilst I didn't have the same probs getting Proraso to lather I did come away feeling that it was very hoo-hum - nothing spesh at all. Its a good solid soap nothing to be sneered at but its got no real strengths that make it stand out IMHO. Don't get me wrong here folks I'm not saying its horrible just that its a good 'par' soap, but nothing more than that.

I've always had it in my head that the love for Proraso is strictly for the cream not the tub soaps.

I've got the Proraso Green soap and it's great, obviously more work to lather than the cream but no difference really in quality.

I've always had it in my head that the love for Proraso is strictly for the cream not the tub soaps.

With the standard flavour, they're exactly the same, just differing consistency.

I've not tried the sensitive, but I'll wager it's different enough to be...different. My green tub lathers as soon as I get a brush out of the cabinet, sometimes even sooner.

Anymore of these anti-Proraso shenanigans and I'll close the thread. Or worse, get your email addresses sent to Marco and he'll make phone calls.

Don't ever go against the family...

I've not tried the sensitive, but I'll wager it's different enough to be...different. My green tub lathers as soon as I get a brush out of the cabinet, sometimes even sooner.

+ 1 ..... The Green stuff is nearly Arko-easy to lather IMO

Sorry the white is being difficult!