Queen Charlotte Soaps - Vostok Lite

~Spyne~

OK guys, here's another quick review on the next QCS sampler I tried - Vostok Lite.
Same consistency in the tub as the Key Limes - not as hard as a soap, not as soft as a cream, but somewhere inbetween commonly referred to as a "croap".
The scent in the tub is quite menthol-y/spearmint-y...if this is the "Lite" version, I think I will have to get another sampler in the future that includes the 'full' Vostok version - I imagine it could be used like some hardcore version of Vicks to clear a blocked nose.

ANyway, followed the same method as with the Key Limes - shower while 1305 brush soaks in bowl of hot/warm water. After a few minutes (enough time to wash), grab the bowl, empty out water and smear a good dollop of the croap onto the bottom of the bowl. squeeze out the brush, but this time i added just a little water into the bottom of the bowl before starting to work with the brush - maybe a teaspoon of water.
Anyway, start working the croap around and the lather seems to start coming to life easier than yesterday, maybe if i let that teaspoon of added water sit for a few seconds (20-30s) before starting to work it with the brush, the lather could very well jump to life MUCH easier...might have to test that theory next time.
So I work the lather to a nice consistency and start applying to my face - BBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! This stuff is awesomely cold, i love the sensation.
1st pass with my Hydro5 (using the cart for these 'tests' to keep things consistent - too early in my DE venture to have consistency between shaves, whereas with a cart, it's idiot-proof, so a good or great shave is just about guaranteed). As I was saying, 1st pass was WTG on the face and XTG on jawline and neck. Nice zingy feeling after first rinse.
Lather up again and at the end squeeze out the super lather from the brush and add this over the top for some extra smooth protection. Straight to an ATG for this 2nd pass, everywhere except the top lip which gets XTG.
Rinse off, turn the tap to cold and start splashing my face - HOLY COW THAT'S COLD!!!

Out the shower and pat-dry my face. Bathroom window is open and a nice cool (read "cold Ballarat") breeze is blowing in and hitting my face - BEST. FEELING. EVER.

Conclusion? I love the feeling this croap gives after a shave. I can see this becoming a great wake-me-up in the depths of winter, or even a great way to feel cool in summer.

9/10 (misses a point because it did appear to leave my face a bit dry prior to applying any ASB or moisturiser)

Great review.

With most Croaps, I tend to load up as a soap - ie in the container. I would then go to lathering directly on the face and slowly add water by dipping the tips of the brush in water and letting it slick up that way.

If you think letting water soak onto it to facilitate lathering, then do as I do with MWF.... get your brush wet and then use it to leave a light film of water on the top, then throw it back into the sink to soak. You pretty much then shake out and load directly from the wetness on top of the product.

Cool, thanks for the tip mitsi (what is your name?) - being only a sample, there's not really any room to work the brush around the jar, hence scooping it out and smearing onto bottom of bowl. But I can see how your method would possibly work better if the jar was larger.

What should I test tomorrow - Rose or Cedarwood/Lemongrass? (Unscented would be fairly boring I imagine)

If it's soft, put it in a larger bowl. I did that with Cella. Nice tub, but way too small to use a brush with it, and too firm to scoop onto bristles. I face lather so I use the same method with all Croaps and Screams.

Another shave this morning, first time I've had a chance to do consecutive shaves (DE) since starting.
Decided to go back to the Vostok Lite - prepped with a hot shower and mild face scrub while brush soaked. Hopped out and squeezed out brush then smeared the VL onto bottom of my bowl. Started working it, dipping tips of brush into water to add more moisture to the mix as i worked it. Now I worked it for quite a bit, easily 3 minutes and on the brush it looked ok;
20110320002 (Medium).jpg
20110320001 (Medium).jpg (just from another angle)

First layer on the face and it was an ok consistency, possibly a little thick/dry.
Gave it a tad more water and mixed before reapplying for the second pass. No middle ground - it went from being thick/slightly dry the first pass to a bit thin and wet the second pass, and I did only add a tiny amount of water to the tips of the brush.
Still got a decent shave from the lather though and went with a 3rd pass/relather.
Again, decent shave though I just don't think the Astra SP is sharp enough to go ATG anywhere except my cheeks/sideburn area.

Two positives to take were my technique is getting better (slowly) as I get more confident (was able to get through the passes a bit quicker and got a closer shave pretty much everywhere), AND I got that great menthol freeze with the cold-water splash at the end.
I'd happily say I got a DFS everywhere except my chin today with only minor irritation around my throat/adam's apple from trying ATG (before giving up on that area). :)

First layer on the face and it was an ok consistency, possibly a little thick/dry.
Gave it a tad more water and mixed before reapplying for the second pass. No middle ground - it went from being thick/slightly dry the first pass to a bit thin and wet the second pass, and I did only add a tiny amount of water to the tips of the brush.
Still got a decent shave from the lather though and went with a 3rd pass/relather.
I have found this with many soaps (not all) and most of the croaps including P160. It could be my hard water, but adding the water later tends to kill the lather and turn it watery, especially after it sits on the brush for a few minutes while you perform the first pass.

I have taken to adding a little more product after each pass to compensate.

Oh, and you can just call me Monsta. The Mitsi part (I drive a modified '98 TF Magna) is about to be traded in for a new car, so I am dropping it from my nickname.