Razor advice

Kaeckerut

Grand Society
My daily razor for over the past month has been a Muhle R41. I received my Rockwell 6S yesterday, great shave and trying to match the experience from the R41, I used the #6 plate and found it quite mild in comparison to the R41. Though I still ended up with an equivalent (near BBS) shave.

I bought the 6S to replace the R89 for when the plating eventually wears out and I've been eyeing off a Timeless Bronze OC to replace the R41 for the same reason. However, I'm not sure if I need to based on quality of shave. Though I'll likely end up getting one eventually, as it looks like a great razor.

Is there other factors I'm missing?

Little confused (& maybe others) on what you are asking. Are you looking for a heirloom razor or decent solid razor for a R41 replacement? Alternatively are you after a better agressive razor that shaves as well? Or can I just answer your question with a plain Yes?
Reason I'm asking, you mentioned a similar quality of shave with a milder razor which seems to have opened your eyes to other possibilities. So now are you after a razor with the efficiency of the R41 but not as aggressive ie milder?

Just to note, (apologies if I'm preaching) an experienced wet shaver can achieve a comfortable BBS shave with any (most) razors as they can adjust their technique to match the razor. But did they enjoy that shave?
It comes down to what you like and like me my mood.

Caveat: I've never used a Rockwell 6S/C but have the R41 and it's a brute that is efficient but only if you manage it. Get lazy and it's a cut or nursing rasor burn. Which I've managed to do both, which you probably already know can happen.

Then again you have the blade issue. Like any razor using a different blade can change a razor. Personally I like mild blades in an aggressive razor as the efficiency is kept but less blade feel and thus aggressiveness, all YMMV stuff.

The holy grail is a razor that does a BBS in one pass without any irritation :LOL:

Were there other razors you were thinking about to use our compare?
I've got razors coming out on my ears so if you are undecided and need to borrow a few I'd be happy too.

Thanks for the detailed response @RustyBlade.
By 'factors', I was looking for other criteria to evaluate/judge a razor on, not just aggressiveness or BBS (no longer really valid as you've pointed out it should be attainable for all razors).

To be honest, I'm not really sure what I'm looking for which is probably what makes my question unclear. (You don't know, what you don't know).
Basically I see people with large razor collections and I always saw the goal as getting a BBS (or just having an awesome collection). So if you can achieve a BBS with something you already have, why the other razors?

I guess what I'm really asking is, what should I (or someone else) be using to distinguish buying one razor over another?
I think you already answered it though, mood and enjoyment of shave. So it's more a personal preference, which is an acceptable answer (y).

Let me know if I've misunderstood something or just confused everyone again :).

Notes regarding my razor selection

I originally bought the Muhle razors thinking they'd last a lifetime until I learnt they were plated. Not a bad thing as they weren't expensive, introduced me to the hobby and they should still last a decent amount of time. But it get me looking at the higher priced razors that will actually last a lifetime or more.

I really like the aggressive feeling of the R41 and a few people are saying the Timeless Bronze OC is just as aggressive which is why I am considering getting one. Also I like the idea of Bronze developing a patina over time so it's probably a razor I'll end up getting for that reason.​

I'm told that the iKon ShaveCraft short comb is more aggressive than the R41, might be worth looking and get yourself the complete head.

ShaveCraft.OC_.jpg

I'm told that the iKon ShaveCraft short comb is more aggressive than the R41, might be worth looking and get yourself the complete head.

ShaveCraft.OC_.jpg
Thanks for the recommendation @SpeedyPC . You've just reminded me of something, I think it was you who suggested pairing an R41 head with a bulldog handle? Is the Bulldog the one made by iKon and does it use compatible threads? I have some elite razor handles that I will try to re-purpose if so.

Edit: Did a search and it sounds like it might not be a good idea :(. I don't want to damage the handles. I'll definitely read up on the iKon razors though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation @SpeedyPC . You've just reminded me of something, I think it was you who suggested pairing an R41 head with a bulldog handle? Is the Bulldog the one made by iKon and does it use compatible threads? I have some elite razor handles that I will try to re-purpose if so.

@Kaeckerut you are 100% correct about the iKon Bulldog handle, also I've tried the Rockwell chrome handle which is a bit heavier and the handle is a bit longer and also balance on this combination with the R41 is spot on.
If you own a Rockwell 6C try the handle because I love it with my R41

Edit: The iKon Bulldog handle is 100% compatible with the R41 thread

Last edited:
@Kaeckerut you are 100% correct about the iKon Bulldog handle, also I've tried the Rockwell chrome handle which is a bit heavier and the balance on this combination with the R41 is spot on. If you own a Rockwell 6C try the handle because I love it with my R41
Thanks @SpeedyPC . I ended up doing an edit, likely while you were typing your reply.
I was looking at using an iKon head on a Muhle compatible handle, so the other way around. (I should try to write my questions more clearly :oops:).
But it looks like it should still work :D.
https://www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge/comments/2ba9jb/can_i_use_a_muhle_r89_ej_de89_handle_with_ikon/

So if you can achieve a BBS with something you already have, why the other razors?

You don’t unless you’re a collector.

I have one DE, one SE and an adjustable.
If I don’t use a straight I’ll use the Rocca, occasionally I’ll use the Brass General if I’ve gone over 24hrs without a shave or if I feel like it. The Fatboy gets dialled down if things have been a bit rough (which is rarely) and I need to back off a bit.

Thanks for the recommendations @TomG and @alfredus .
Thanks for the response @UKSteve .

@Pbgoose . Great response. I was actually trying to compare razors to fragrances and soaps at one point. For me a fragrance has different qualities, such as quality of ingredients, how long it lasts, how much I have to spray (strength) and then the overall scent. Soaps are similar, ignoring the scent duration and adding in lather and face feel.
Both I usually choose based on what appeals to me at the time. (Exceptions for trying out samples).

I also like the shiny tools and I'm trying to understand how I would choose a new razor, or if I really need a new razor. In the process I guess trying to change my perspective on how I currently see a razor.

Apologies for formatting. Typing this on my phone. And thanks again for the responses. Also I don't mean any criticism to the collectors, I have a large collection of video games that would last a lifetime and would be hard to explain.

ShaveCraft.OC_.jpg
A similar suggestion would be the iKon 104 Tech head. It's more aggressive than the R41 and Short Comb but YMMV. I own all of the mentioned razors and am yet to shave with the Timeless Bronze OC. First shave with the R41 was comfortable but later shaves were a tad too agressive so I aim to use it with say a weeks beard growth. The iKon Tech was so aggressive that I had to stop the shave and use a milder razor. Similar experiences with the PAA Alpha Ecliptic slant (ouch). Haven't been game to try it again. The iKon 103 SC is aggressive but IMHO you can easily achieve a BBS with 2 passes. Overall the 6S is great and maybe you just need to try different blade combo's as it really shaves efficiently with less bite. Apparently the Gillette Nacet blade gives a great shave but I'm yet to try them. Happy shaves!

Thanks @SpeedyPC . I ended up doing an edit, likely while you were typing your reply.
I was looking at using an iKon head on a Muhle compatible handle, so the other way around. (I should try to write my questions more clearly :oops:).
But it looks like it should still work :D.
https://www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge/comments/2ba9jb/can_i_use_a_muhle_r89_ej_de89_handle_with_ikon/
I can confirm that the Muhle R41 and iKon shavecraft heads/handles are interchangeable. If anything the iKon head threads are a tad longer but I had no issues mixing and matching - Top Left: iKon Tech + Bulldog II handle Top Right: Muhle R41 + original handle
DSCN0170.jpg

Botton Left: iKon SC + Muhle handle Bottom Right: Muhle R41 + iKon Bulldog II handle.