Review: Muhle Rostfreie Rasierklingen blades

Wow the reviews of these really came and went fast. Well anyway, thought I'd try these in my Muhle R41, as I'm pretty comfortable with using it now and find it's a superb razor.

From the very first stroke there was more tugging than a outback knockshop. I pushed it through to finish the first WTG pass but then I changed the Muhle out and into a EJ DE86 head I had onhand. Now that did the last of my chin and the ATG pass very nicely.

IMHO this marries up with the Muhle blades being more smooth than sharp (in terms of strengths) - they just couldn't handle all the blade exposure that the R41 gave them and so underachieved....but in the more subtle DE86 they performed reasonably well.

Used in a Redtip SS, much better match than the R41. Good shave with minimal irritation but had to do a third pass on chin which generally isnt neeed with other blades. Not a bad blade but falls well short of the best production blades IMHO.

Only has to beat the performance of the Merkur blades, which it does with ease. That said it is a pretty low bar they need to jump over.

I'd take a Permasharp Super over these any and every day of the week. I find they are not sharp enough for my requirements, however make a great first pack of blades for a new DE shaver. There is definitely room for a starter kit of DE86/Brush/cream with a few packs of these blades. If they were stocked in chemists then you would see DE shaving rates skyrocket.

Assuming these were personna blades, Mr Muhle might not be very happy if the Personna factory does close down.
/wouldn't know, didn't get to try them.

I passed out a few today, so I expect to see some more reviews.

And as for the the shutdown, I would expect that a company like Muhle might try and pick up either the factory cheaply, or possibly just the equipment and manufacture the blades in Germany once more.

I am sure that they would have a significant inventory of the blades in any case, enough to last many, many years before any shutdown occurs.