REVIEW: Simpson's Luxury Shaving Cream - Peppermint & Rosemary

possumbelly

[No giant lemons here]
Received my free tin of Simpsons Peppermint & Rosemary Luxury Shaving Cream yesterday. Broke it out this morning. Many thanks to @Mark Watterson for the opportunity to try this. Here's my review;

The packaging is elegant and simple. The initial fragrance is very subtle & clean. A light minty and soapy quality. Not a prominent smell but that's ok.

The Lather. I dipped the tips of my Omega boar very lightly into the cream, picking up about 1/4 of an almond-sized quantity or less. That was enough for a full 3-4 pass shave. Bowl lathering - it appeared with minimal effort. Thick and rich, well hydrated. This cream will clearly last a long time. Very little is needed per shave.

Performance. At least as good as anything else I've really enjoyed cream-wise (eg. TOBS Jermyn St, Avocado, GFT, Proraso). Probably thicker and richer than some of them. The fragrance once lathered, was mild. Not at all overpowering. I liked that.

I used my GEM OCMM and ended up with a great shave. Well lubricated, cushioned. My face felt fresh and smooth at the end. Irritation free and well moisturised. No major residue - washing off easily at the end unlike some soaps / creams I've used. I also used green Proraso preshave and Proraso ASL which complemented well.

Would I buy this? Yes. Would certainly be interested in trying other fragrances especially the Vetiver one. I suspect they all have a fairly subtle smell to them and are all luxurious in a similar way. I prefer soaps to creams but would have no problem using this in rotation for some variety.

Great quality product. Overall score 9/10.
sepatu6y.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good write up and great recommendation - not surprised though

Nice review. One thing that appeals to me about the Simmo creams is that they have some unconventional and different scents. Peppermint and rosemary sounds like a nice combo. Who got the Vanilla and Rose one? Curious to hear about how that one smells.

Another one I would like to try out. Certainly happy to rotate mine with a couple of others to get a nice comparison of the scents.