Score! Er, what is it???

Anakist

Hi guys,

I was given this by my Grandparents who just moved into a home. She has dementia and he is pretty feeble. I wasn't there when it was packed into my box, can anyone tell me more about it?

What have we here...?
pb080123.jpg

Interdasting.
pb080125.jpg

Thar she blows!
pb080126.jpg

This is a pretty amazing little tool!
pb080129.jpg

pb080130.jpg

[del]I am going to guess it was my Grandmother's father's razor. Probably came over from Ireland with him back in the early 1900s.[/del] Hmm, looks to be about 1930s vintage. Possibly not then. Might have been Granddad's razor. Will have to ask them next time I see them and hope she is having a good day.

Thanks!

James

As the casing lid says, it's a Valet Auto Strop or a "VAS" as it's referred too by single edge users. I've never been tempted by them. You can use them with a modern single edge blade. The auto strop refers to a mechanism for running a leather strop through the razor and stropping an old fashioned blade. They're impressive looking machines.

Pete is the SE expertise and I never knew you could use them with a modern SE blade - you learn things around here.

Clear it up with some Spray & Wipe and an old toothbrush and give it a whirl!

If you need some SE blades send me your address by PM.

Would be cool to shave like your grandad!

There are a few models. I believe you can buy Feather SE blades that fit all models. And a modified (despined) GEM SE blade fits earlier models. If you're considering using it you mght want to post a picture on other sites to find out which blade will fit yours. There are regular users of these razors so it's doable. I don't know enough about them to help you any further. Pablo's a an SE dude. What's happened to him?