Second brush - do I nee….oh who am I kidding...what do I need?

stillshunter

a man of resolve, a man of conviction
State Convenor - ACT
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical Fail
So most of you fellas showed exemplary patience in helping me select my first real brush - the Duke 2 in Best. I'm stoked with it so far, and more so each day, unless I suffer the Curse of the Drubs and it starts shedding on me! (NOOOOOOO!!!!)

Anywho, as the title suggest I was going to ask whether I need another brush but then remembered the two rules of P&C. So I wonder what would make a good second brush to complement the Simpsons? I still have the Edwin Jagger Super (advertised but no-one wants it, it seems….might end up PIFed) but as a face latherer, I don't think luxurious and soft is the right brush for me. I was thinking Boar maybe? If so I'm set on Omega and not Semogue. I've read too much about the Semogue knots to even entertain them.

New it seems the #48 is the best going locally, but it looks HUGE and almost for commercial use.

Another immediate option is a slightly used B&B Essential (made by Omega) Boar for $20 delivered that seems fine - ignoring the idiotic branding that can (and will!) easily be scraped off.

Or is there something else to keep an eye out for here?

Or am I best sticking with badger as I love me Simpsons as I do?

I have two brushes, although Mrs Egg has stolen one.
If you are happy with the duke why waste money on another?

If you do want to try something that feels completely different to badger try a cheap boar like the omega 10005 ($15ish delivered from Connaught's) rather than something that is very similar to what you already have.

You have to try a boar, they're too cheap not to. I think two brushes is a good idea. We all know these things are designed with the expectation they're used daily, but giving an expensive brush a bit of a rest can only help with longevity.

The 48 is big, but still usable. I have a 102, which is the same knot in a wooden handle. Eggys suggestion is sound, I have one of those too, and they soften up ridiculously well. Omega make a couple with that same 05 knot, which 24/55mm. A good boar will question why we spend so much on badgers.

I think Connaught have the best range and service.

Last edited:
I've got four brushes and another on the way if our resident BrushMan finishes with it.

I barely use the badger and rotate all boars regularly, week on week off kind of thing. Drubbing is the man to listen to. You can get a bunch of boars (a pack? A murder?) cheap as and then laugh at snobs extolling the virtues of badger as the only brush to use.

I think it's a Trough of Boars.

Don't listen to me, I ended with 4 badgers, 5 boars and some crappy boars from from spain that I ended up putting aftermarket knots in, and then selling.

What about us snobs who extol the virtues of swinging both ways, occasionally at the same time?

I think it's a Trough of Boars.

Don't listen to me, I ended with 4 badgers, 5 boars and some crappy boars from from spain that I ended up putting aftermarket knots in, and then selling.
Yes but that shows you have experience and have learned from your badgery ways.
Who's this resident BrushMan?
@Pjotr knows his way around a knot; he is currently doing a restore of a brush I bought from @Mark1966
What about us snobs who extol the virtues of swinging both ways, occasionally at the same time?
Then you can relax, listen to Bohemian Rhapsody and enjoy a glass of Semillon Blanc while smiling smugly in the knowledge that you like both boar and badger.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just think there is moar value in a boar.

Well then I need to experience this boar business if just to figure out what you all are banging on about.

We've agreed Omega is the way forward. From the sounds of crickets chirping the B&B Boar I posted earlier isn't worth the chase. Not sure what was quite wrong with it:
Knot: ~22 mm
Loft: ~54 mm
Handle: ~50 mm
Total: ~104 mm

Can I ask the recommended Omega boar for face lathering?
If not the exact model then the specs.

Last edited:
The BB one would be ok, but why buy slightly used at an inflated (sorry, "Exclusive") price, when the same knot can be bought new for less, without a lame fucking badger logo in it. Badger logo on a boar, WTF are they smoking over there?

I think the 10005 is as good as any at 24/55. Handle isn't fancy, but is nice shape and chunky

The BB one would be ok, but why buy slightly used at an inflated (sorry, "Exclusive") price, when the same knot can be bought new for less, without a lame fucking badger logo in it. Badger logo on a boar, WTF are they smoking over there?
I don't know man, just don't shoot the messenger. I don't give a rats what's painted on it - as I can scrape or Eucy oil it off. It was just local, available and sounded a reasonable knot. I assume a $15 brush when you figure OS postage would come out $25+ anyways?

I think the 10005 is as good as any at 24/55. Handle isn't fancy, but is nice shape and chunky
I don't mind the looks of any of the #05s (#30005, #10005, #80005). Struggling to find a supplier onshore but.

Then you can relax, listen to Bohemian Rhapsody and enjoy a glass of Semillon Blanc while smiling smugly in the knowledge that you like both boar and badger.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just think there is moar value in a boar.

Hahaha...actually it's Fat Bottom Girls and a pint of Asahi. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Stills, if you want to have a crack at an Omega before you spend some coin, shoot me a PM. I have a #49 which isn't getting much love. It's huge but well broken in and can perhaps give you some perspective on what the Omega bristle is like.

I don't know man, just don't shoot the messenger. I don't give a rats what's painted on it - as I can scrape or Eucy oil it off. It was just local, available and sounded a reasonable knot. I assume a $15 brush when you figure OS postage would come out $25+ anyways?

I don't mind the looks of any of the #05s (#30005, #10005, #80005). Struggling to find a supplier onshore but.
There aren't any. Connaughts have most.

Shipping is about $5 from memory

There aren't any. Connaughts have most.

Shipping is about $5 from memory
Yeah GBP3.50 for a brush only….but throw in a tub of Tabac and it goes up to GBP7.50. How good's the shipping - I assume Royal Mail?

Yeah GBP3.50 for a brush only….but throw in a tub of Tabac and it goes up to GBP7.50. How good's the shipping - I assume Royal Mail?

You could sneak in a few packs of blades and postage will stay same.

Shipping is reliable and quick. Sometimes 4 business days. Yes, Royal Mail.

Stills, if you want to have a crack at an Omega before you spend some coin, shoot me a PM. I have a #49 which isn't getting much love. It's huge but well broken in and can perhaps give you some perspective on what the Omega bristle is like.
Sam, mate, mighty generous of you. A #49 looks a great entree indeed. PM sent.

A vote for Omega's and another for Connaught's. Here are my little Omega piggies all in a row. Bought on sale at about $16 each.

From left to right: 13636, 13640, 13637, 13635, 13639. My favourite are the middle 3.
5atuzu9y.jpg

The B&B boar brush is not stained. A huge plus in my book. And I quite like the handle. I don't think the 49 is stained either. It is huge but it'll give you a good idea of what a boar is all about. I had one that sort of size for while and really liked it.

As for swinging both ways, a boar badger mixed knot is excellent. The backbone of a boar combined with the water and lather holding of a badger.

@JugV2 My ER handle from Mark should arrive any day so I'll be putting an order for knots in as soon as.