September 2013 Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pjotr

Cultured Philistine
2016 Sabbatical
In fear of being accused of slacking off here's the September thread. Probably wouldn't have bothered starting this one if it wasn't for the arrival of a couple of tubes of Irisch Moos. Scent is fantastic. Together with Tabac cream it'll be my go to summer lather. Can't find anymore online stockists so it looks like this'll be it.

In fear of being accused of slacking off here's the September thread. Probably wouldn't have bothered starting this one if it wasn't for the arrival of a couple of tubes of Irisch Moos. Scent is fantastic. Together with Tabac cream it'll be my go to summer lather. Can't find anymore online stockists so it looks like this'll be it.

I thought Tabac was more of a winter warmer from the smell of the AS than a summer soother.

In non-shaving purchases, one of my other weaknesses is for affordable but nice watches. I lost a really nice watch once years ago, so have been too scared to buy anything really nice since. Most of the watches I have are mechanical or automatics which have little, to zero water resistance. So I have decided to remedy this by buying a poor man's diver. I was initially drawn to the Obris Morgan Explorer which is a hell of a lot of watch for the price. Most other watches with the same movement cost over double the amount that the OM goes for.

However I decided that was not affordable enough, and I ended up buying a watch I have been looking at for ages, but had never gotten around to pulling the pin on... a Bostok Amphibia 420334. I wanted a different one, but that has now been discontinued, so 3 years later I eventually bought my 2nd choice.
420334-600x900.jpg

I have just grabbed several NATO watch straps from http://natostrapco.com/ which appear to be of much better quality than the cheapo that came with my Seagull 1963 watch that I have barely worn since I bought it 3 years ago. They also make a change to the usual leather straps, and have given a new lease of life to watches I thought I would probably never wear again.

Obligatory photo of the Seagull:
sy5wu9.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know what the AS is like, but I'd agree with Tabac soap being a winter job but the cream is different. You should try some up there in Darwin.

You poor sod.....hooked on watches. Expensive little hobby.

You poor sod.....hooked on watches. Expensive little hobby.
I've been lucky, and through either poor financial planning, or luck have managed not to succumb to peer pressure too badly with the watches.

The Seagull I showed above was probably my most expensive, but other than that I don't think any of the other 4 were over $100, and two were less than $30 each.

Mine mostly come from non-traditional watch sources: China, India, Russia and one Japanese Casio G-Shock

Oh man, that Obris Morgan Explorer is nice! I need to get a second job or something.

Been a long time since I bought anything. The Omega boar, I think, and a top up of speick AS. Which I used all thru winter, so bought again.

Along with this: Merkur 30C Chrome Double Edge Razor with Black Handle (30011) | Men's Biz

I'm pretty much a Merkur man, as Mark's found out. Just wanted something shiny and new. This is a little lighter and slimmer then the 34C, but I'll get used to that expect it to shave as well. It'll probably help me appreciate the 34c weight all over again.

Again - kudos to Mensbiz. I ordered this yesterday arvo. It arrived next morning.

No shaving gear I ordered yet but just bought a wd tv live 1tb wifi unit

I'm pretty pleased with this- a cased Aristocrat and a Slim for $71 posted isn't half bad I think

Vintage Gillette Safety Razor Made IN England | eBay

Nothing like a bit of Rhodium shininess!

And as per my other thread, I can now claim to be 'building my son's inheritance' ;)

Oh, and nice watches egg. I recently got myself a Seiko SKX007, and I'm thinking that an Orient Mako might make a nice gift for a friend of mine. Love a good automatic!

Last edited:
I'm pretty pleased with this- a cased Aristocrat and a Slim for $71 posted isn't half bad I think

And as per my other thread, I can now claim to be 'building my son's inheritance' ;)

Oh, and nice watches egg. I recently got myself a Seiko SKX007, and I'm thinking that an Orient Mako might make a nice gift for a friend of mine. Love a good automatic!

Nice - hopefully they will come up nice and shiny.

And thanks, now that the Bostok has arrived I put it on a nato strap straight away, and it looks much better to my mind
2013-09-09%2018.01.49%20%28Small%29.jpg

So YOU got that - fantastic and congrats!

So YOU got that - fantastic and congrats!

It's almost like we need a secret, members only page where we can discuss what we are considering bidding on, and how much we would be willing to bid on it.

Could save each others $$s if we aren't bidding against each other.

It's almost like we need a secret, members only page where we can discuss what we are considering bidding on, and how much we would be willing to bid on it.

Could save each others $$s if we aren't bidding against each other.

I was miles behind so the price wasn't my fault!

Of course the simplest solution is to just buy from me :)

Not really an acquisition ....

I think this would tip my wife over the edge really...

Anybody want a project!

Damn that Orbis Morgan Explorer is dead sexy, and I don't even wear a watch!

And I think it must be a P&C Rule that whenever Egg wears the Bostock he must have shaved that morning with a Voskhod, Rapira, Sputnik or Ladas blade.

Um, have to order more Proraso Red. And maybe a few other bits. Not like I am running out of everything any time soon.

Just replaced my drum stool with a gorgeous Tama 1st Chair wide rider.
The old stool was wonky and after two hours of playing I would have a painful lower back.
The new stool was sorely needed and is brilliant.

Working on a str8 Gold Dollar that I got off of eBay. 1st GD 66. Honed and stropped, will try in the morning. <10US with shipping.

Used the Gold Dollar this morning after a quick once over with a pasted strop. Not that bad of a shave. Usually do a 3 pass in the morning, with the GD it was 5ish. Think that a quick honing on a 1k, 4k and paste will bring her up to a 3pass level.

Last update on the GD. Been using it all week. Doing a quick touch up each time with a pasted strop. Not bad! Well worth the 10er and the time.

I am surprised John. I seem to remember reading that it was almost impossible to give the Gold Dollars an edge.

Maybe they have improved a lot since I was looking 5 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.