Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
STUNNING @Draco Noir - simply STUNNING! You did a fantastic job designing this piece of art and of course Mastro Livi did a stellar job delivering it!

20151118_SOTDSSep_zpsbkxjgona.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon 2band
Lather: Cold River Soap Works Select Savon #1
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Fantastic shave on a very hot day!

Good man.
Funny thing, I'm managing to inspire prospective inductees to the SPUD club, yet am yet to use one!
Don't know how that eventuated...

Razor : Mastro Livi Custom Western Kamisori

Today's shave is dedicated to @razorguy, without whose incredibly generous help I wouldn't be shaving with the amazingly beautiful Kamisori in the picture. It's (obviously) based on the shape and ergonomics of an authentic Kamisori, but with a symmetrical grind : hollow, but not quite as hollow as a full hollow ground western straight. Mastro Livi has made it from a piece of Damascus steel which I chose from a small number of beautiful patterns. From that point on, creating the razor was a matter of leaving of leaving it in Mastro Livi's hands and making some small useability decisions along the way - jimping in the thumb notch, putting a tiny chamfer on the sharp corners etc. The "scales" were crafted from giraffe bone.

In use, the razor would be the most ergonomically comfortable shaver I've used. It allows a very comfortable grip and has the ideal balance for a Kami style razor : enough weight in the blade to let the razor do some of the work, but not too much. As for the shave - just brilliant! It shaved very close indeed but didn't sacrifice shaving comfort to achieve it. Two passes with this razor and I was left with a BBS result - no nicks, no irritation, just a great shave.

Thanks again to the wonderful @razorguy - I know this couldn't have happened as well as it did without his generous bi-lingual help. Here's a closer shot of the razor :

MastroLivi_zpstwwasbvj.png
Look, I can either call my mate who's an expert in all things razors or I can take a punt and give your $10 due to the imperfections in the metal.
Razors are not a big seller and I will have to sit upon it for a while, taking space up in my shop and I could get burnt here. ;)

That's a thing of beauty mate :)

3P preshave
Thater 4125/1
Mikes Vetiver
Standard Razor
English Wilky (4)
Fine Clean Vetiver AS

Great lather from mikes and the vetiver scent is really nice.

Hey @unobtainium81 - I notice you've been been using a Standard razor. I have one too, so I'm interested to hear your thoughts on it. And here's a little trick that may be useful to you : put a little Loctite on one end of that silly double ended screw that joins the handle and razor. That way it becomes a permanent part of the head, and makes it east to try different handles etc.

20151118_zps7xfatrta.png

Face Wash : Razorock Menthol Lime Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Plisson La Maison du Barbier
Soap : Mike's Lime
After Shave : Argan Oil
After Shave Splash : L'occitan EDT

Today's shave is dedicated to @razorguy, without whose incredibly generous help I wouldn't be shaving with the amazingly beautiful Kamisori in the picture. It's (obviously) based on the shape and ergonomics of an authentic Kamisori, but with a symmetrical grind : hollow, but not quite as hollow as a full hollow ground western straight. Mastro Livi has made it from a piece of Damascus steel which I chose from a small number of beautiful patterns. From that point on, creating the razor was a matter of leaving of leaving it in Mastro Livi's hands and making some small useability decisions along the way - jimping in the thumb notch, putting a tiny chamfer on the sharp corners etc. The "scales" were crafted from giraffe bone.

In use, the razor would be the most ergonomically comfortable shaver I've used. It allows a very comfortable grip and has the ideal balance for a Kami style razor : enough weight in the blade to let the razor do some of the work, but not too much. As for the shave - just brilliant! It shaved very close indeed but didn't sacrifice shaving comfort to achieve it. Two passes with this razor and I was left with a BBS result - no nicks, no irritation, just a great shave.

Finished this amazing shave with the usual argan oil, then a few sprays of L'Occitan Classic EDT. Happiness and contentment....

Thanks again to the wonderful @razorguy - I know this couldn't have happened as well as it did without his generous bi-lingual help. Here's a closer shot of the razor :

Stunning!

Hey @unobtainium81 - I notice you've been been using a Standard razor. I have one too, so I'm interested to hear your thoughts on it. And here's a little trick that may be useful to you : put a little Loctite on one end of that silly double ended screw that joins the handle and razor. That way it becomes a permanent part of the head, and makes it east to try different handles etc.
It's a good little razor the Standard. Gives a nice close shave with no drama, one of my favourites. I still haven't tried it with another handle but I do have one with a loose screw so I'll give it a go with another handle. How do you find it with a heavy handle?

It's a good little razor the Standard. Gives a nice close shave with no drama, one of my favourites. I still haven't tried it with another handle but I do have one with a loose screw so I'll give it a go with another handle. How do you find it with a heavy handle?

It spoils the balance if it's much heavier than the stock handle, which kinda defeats the purpose. For me, it's an good travel DE when weight is potentially an issue, but I'd almost certainly pack a Razorock Babysmooth by preference.

It spoils the balance if it's much heavier than the stock handle, which kinda defeats the purpose. For me, it's an good travel DE when weight is potentially an issue, but I'd almost certainly pack a Razorock Babysmooth by preference.
Thanks. I did wonder if it might mess things up with such a light head. I don't have any of the Razorock razors :(

Today's shave is dedicated to @razorguy, without whose incredibly generous help I wouldn't be shaving with the amazingly beautiful Kamisori in the picture.

Thanks again to the wonderful @razorguy - I know this couldn't have happened as well as it did without his generous bi-lingual help.

Thank you very much indeed for having dedicated your stellar shave to me! I truly appreciate that and, more important, I am absolutely and more than very happy to know how you appreciated your stunning and awesome Mastro Livi symmetrical kamisori. I am very happy to know we made it at last and you got the kamisori you wished to have. It absolutely was my pleasure and joy to help you in getting in contact with Mastro Livi and to do all the translation job for the two of you.
I am very sorry for the fact I could not go to Mastro Livi's laboratory and see myself this beauty while he was making it but I am sure it is a masterpiece, just like every razor made by Mastro Livi. The Damasteel pattern is absolutely beautiful! I wish I could hold your kamisori in my hands but, as you know, I was not in Perugia at the time Mastro Livi was making your beautiful symmetrical kamisori. And I am very happy to know it shaves the way you wished and gave you a fantastic shave!
I do sincerely hope to meet you in person one day and, who knows, maybe in Perugia at Mastro Livi's laboratory: I am sure he too will be happy to meet you.
It has been my pleasure to help and assist you in the process of the making of your kamisori, as well as it was - and is - a pleasure to help all the wet shavers in the world who wished to have a Mastro Livi razor but could not speak Italian. As I own many Mastro Livi razors and I truly understand the value and craftsmanship in each of them - not to mention, the excellent shave they give - as well as knowing how Mastro Livi art and razors are appreciated all over the world, it is a pleasure to share my passion with others and help them getting their Mastro Livi razors.

Enjoy your awesome Mastro Livi kamisori!!!

20151118_zps7xfatrta.png

Face Wash : Razorock Menthol Lime Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Plisson La Maison du Barbier
Soap : Mike's Lime
After Shave : Argan Oil
After Shave Splash : L'occitan EDT

Finished this amazing shave with the usual argan oil, then a few sprays of L'Occitan Classic EDT. Happiness and contentment....

Quite conflicted. Mammoth like on the blade, absolutely jaw-droppingly exquisitely beautiful fashion of metal. But the handle - giraffe bone....REALLY? I have to ask, why giraffe?

Wednesday 18 November 2015

219158d1447850359-sun-november-15th-sat-november-21st-sotd-18112015.jpg

RazorGuy Shave

This morning I felt like having what I call a "RazorGuy Shave", that is a shave in which I use my homemade shaving products, those I make at home for my own enjoyment with the spirit of experimenting new things. I also wanted to use my father's shaving brush - a 35 years old Omega Bristle 47 and still performing like the best champion - and this Dovo 2Bismarck I received as a gift. As for my shaving products, this time I used my pre-shave oil, my almond shaving soap - absolutely a superior and amazing soap with a superb post shave, not to mention, providing an excellent cushion effect and slickness for a straight razor - and my "old" Bay Rum, a batch I made quite a long time ago. I enjoyed everything, including this Dovo 2Bismarck that, when properly honed and stropped - in my case, Mastro Livi loom strop and hand palm - is capable of giving a very good shave.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: My Father's Omega Bristle 47
  • Bowl: Old Barber Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Small Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Dovo 2Bismarck Pearl, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Bay Rum

20151119_064526_zpshtrerk2z.jpg

SOTD Thursday, November 19

Cold water shave
Preshave: bloom water
Soap: Johnny Good Sir
Brush: Edwin Jagger Badger
Face lather
Razor: Dovo Inox 5/8

C'mon @Anthony, we need your new Broken Teeth[emoji768]soap soon. JGS is an OK soap lather wise but your base is far better. With this scent, the world is your oyster.

The Dovo was smooth and close with no nicks. A great start to the day again.

New avatar. The green cape is gone. What gives stills? No longer a superhero?
Nah just a brief sojourn - The Will's green cape will return. Seeing as there's so many on the balcony I thought someone needs to be on stage - and I'm more a Gonzo than a Fozzie.

Lather: Erasmic
Razor: Puma 89
Brush: Smogs 610
Post-shave: Alum & Metilsol.

Big thanks go out to @Nightguard for the sample. The cream did well on holidays but now that I'm back to civilisation it just doesn't seem to quite stack up against the MdC, LPL, CRSW, etc. Things have moved forward in the world of soaping technology I reckon.

610 on it's third lather. Still a little prickly and needs to learn to share the lather, but I know its breeding and know it will come (very!) good in time.

Puma was a personal restore - I fitted new scales and needed to perform some remediation on the bevel before setting. But this must be such good steel as it even responded to my fumbling hands. The edge is excellent. Just a shame it's a round point. Very tempted to square things off a little.

Was this close to listing the Myrsols today, but have to say the Metilsol did soooo well that it earned the whole alcoholic line-up a reprieve. Noting I had a little roughness from yesterday's kami shave it was to be expected that there'd be some tenderness today. The alum was a scorpion, but after the rinse the Metilsol followed with aplomb. Added its initial alum sting and then...hey all feels kindly.

20151118_233733 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Green
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose Handle
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Soap: Stirling Glacial Obsidian(Thanks @StueyB )
Post Shave: Proraso Green AS
Warm in Melbourne today so I thought a little bit of a menthol theme was in order. Three pass shave with no nicks,cuts or irritation. This is a great soap with a nice aniseed scent and it freezes the face and makes the eyes water. Can still feel the effects 40 minutes later.

Status
Not open for further replies.