Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

e2cAK4M.jpg

Pre: Hot Shower, Truefitt & Hill Oil....
Razor: Timeless....
Blade: Feather....
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Debonair....
Soap: AP Réserve Privée Les Santals....
Post: AP Réserve Privée Les Santals Aftershave and EDP....

Mmmmmm-agnificent SOTD....

1. Preshave: Mama Bear's Eucalyptus glycerin shave soap
  2. Blade: Astra Superior Platinum
  3. Razor: Charcoal Goods, Bishop Stainless Steel, LVL 1, CC
  4. Soap: Razorock - xXx
  5. Brush: Floris 19mm pure Badger
  6. Postshave: jojoba oil
  7. Earworm: Stubborn Love - The Lumineers
decent mid week shave, nothing spectacular to report. However, I have noticed some redness around my neck this week. Thinking that it was from the overly aggressive lvl 3 Charcoal Goods on Monday morning. Might pass on a shave tomorrow to let the skin recover.

Pre-shave: Shower, Glycerine
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo
Soap/Cream: APR Florian
Razor: Rockwell 6C (3)
Blade: Polsilver SI (2)
Post-shave: Cold water splash, Florian splash and Florian edt.

Probably should have used a larger plate as the head cloged up on the first pass, 3 pass shave 14 days of growth.

Pre-shave: Shower, Glycerine
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo
Soap/Cream: APR Florian
Razor: Rockwell 6C (3)
Blade: Polsilver SI (2)
Post-shave: Cold water splash, Florian splash and Florian edt.

Probably should have used a larger plate as the head cloged up on the first pass, 3 pass shave 14 days of growth.
3 pass shave for 14 days growth???? That's impressive!!

Pre: Warm water, Crew oil
Razor: Timeless, S/S, 0.95 Scalloped base plate
Blade: Astra Green
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Proraso Green
Green theme for today's shave.

upload photos online

44155435540_cb000ba40a_b.jpg

Black Eagle 2band 28X49 // The club Signature // Paradigm SE // The club Signature Splash

Great looking shave.

How do you find the preformance of the soap and aftershave. Is the scent predominantly bourbon?

So no pic today, but a great shave, with music,
Pre: nothing
machine weber/ UFO
blde: Astra green
soap: Squadroan soaps "the warden"
splash: just some @alfredus juice splashed on my face

music: the great Alfredo Kraus, as he ducce di mantua... questa o quella... so great!!

this is real music.... for the prepared ears, of course....

Nov. 21, 2018 - Wednesday
26sU5eWl.jpg

Prep: Shower
Brush: Mozingo Brushworks - "Fat Ass Sumo - 30mm Declaration B4
Razor: Anodized Aluminum Wolfman WR-1DC on WRH-2 (Black & Purple)
Blade: Polsilver SI (3)
Lather: Mammoth Soaps - Hygge - Soap
Post Shave: Chatillon Lux - Santal Auster - Aftershave
Fragrance: Chatillon Lux - Santal Auster (Parfum Extrait) - Parfum

Mammoth Soaps is a new artisan to the world of wetshaving and has built up quite a following in such a short amount of time. Most of that is due to the samples of test batches that many respected wetshavers received to help further testing of Mammoth Soaps. If you haven't heard of Mammoth Soaps, here is a brief overview:

"Mammoth Soaps is a handmade luxury soap for traditional wet shaving, raising awareness and funds to fight human trafficking. We couldn't be more proud to partner with the family behind Mammoth and be the exclusive distributors for them. Mammoth Soaps looks to address the elephant in the room that is human trafficking in the modern day. Part of the proceeds from every shaving soap tub will be donated to organizations actively putting an end to human trafficking."

So for the soap, here is the ingredient list:

Stearic Acid, Water, Beef Tallow, Duck Fat, Kokum Butter, Glycerin, Castor Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance, Murumuru Butter, Argan Oil, Lanolin, Sodium Lactate, Tocopherol

You read that right. Beef tallow & duck fat. I found the soap base to be extremely slick and the lather was extremely easy to build and quickly exploded. The soap base I would say is a medium hard, little softer than Stirling. Soap comes in the standard Colt Jars that I personally love. Makes it super easy to load soap with this monster of a brush, compared to other tubs. Labels for Mammoth Soaps are superb. I love how minimalist they are with the black background and the ever slight indigo color of the logo.

Scent:

Our first scent will be Hygge, a winter scent with a barbershop skeleton. Notes are orange, bergamot, fir, juniper, oakmoss, amber, frankincense, musk, and castoreum.

The scent is interesting. When I first received the soap, it had been around 40°F that day, so I wasn't really getting much of the scent but a faint fir/pine note. Once the soap had some time to get to room temperature, that fir/pine note become more prevalent and while I could get a faint hint of the others, the fir/pine note dominated the space. Thankfully, I did not get a hint of the castoreum ;-). This soap definitely reminds me of winter time and smelling the Christmas trees. While the scent didn't wow me or blow me away upon first sniff, it was overall a good first release. I personally would like to "see" a more complex scent that evolves over the entire shave, rather than one notes dominating the entirety.

Final Thoughts:

I think that Mammoth Soaps has definitely come in hot with their first release. I think that this soap base will definitely get people to come back and try another scent. I think the scents need a little more work but overall it was a nice scent. One thing that irked me, was the damn West Coast Shaving sale sticker on the back of the tub. Labels and tubs are on point. Overall, I look forward to the next release of Mammoth Soaps.

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina
Razor: Pils 101NE
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Bleue Extra (4)
Post: CRSW Alcohol-Free American Barbershop Moisturising Aftershave
Scent: Acca Kappa 1869 EdP

Glorious three pass shave - so comfortable and luxurious :).

SOTN 20/11/18
Brush: Omega 22mm
Razor: Maggard V3A + MR1 handle
Blade: Rockwell
Bowl: @Nico special
Soap: Proraso white cream

Visiting family so stuck using the travel kit. The handmade bowl by Mrs @Nico worked a treat at producing luscious lather. Might swap out the V3A as it's a tad more aggressive for travelling purposes though the Rockwell blade didn't help. Also need to replace the Omega as it's falling apart... Happy shaves!

Date: 22 November 2018

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Platypus P&C LE 2017 26mm Manchurian White
Soap/Cream:- Tabac
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Red Tip E1 1959 / Vintage NOS England Wilkinson Sword #5
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- Dolce&Gabbana Pour Homme

Status
Not open for further replies.