Not open for further replies.
IMG-20200917-184501.jpg

Brush: TF Customs Clear/Black/Yellow 26mm 2 Band Finest
Razor: Smart Helix Apollo 0.50mm Mild Plate
Blade: Bic Chrome (3)
Soap: B&M Lime/Lavender/Cedarwood
Pre: Shower + PAA Prickly Pear mentholated pre-shave soap
ATG, XTG, WTG = Disappointing (n)

A disappointing shave with the Bic too harsh for this razor... I think I'll be re-shaving after work...? :unsure:
Try swiping the blade edge through a spare cork bottle too eases the harsh edge from the blade.

IMG-20200917-184501.jpg

Brush: TF Customs Clear/Black/Yellow 26mm 2 Band Finest
Razor: Smart Helix Apollo 0.50mm Mild Plate
Blade: Bic Chrome (3)
Soap: B&M Lime/Lavender/Cedarwood
Pre: Shower + PAA Prickly Pear mentholated pre-shave soap
ATG, XTG, WTG = Disappointing (n)

A disappointing shave with the Bic too harsh for this razor... I think I'll be re-shaving after work...? :unsure:

Can you describe the harsh feeling, too sharp or feels pully ?
Third shave in blade could be finished.

Another day, another tree-stump...
Soap: Wholly Kaw Chypre Rose Concerto
Razor: RR GC-JAWS
Blade: Polsilver SI (3)
Scuttle: Captain's Choice "Tempest"
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo (y)@Irish

With the weather getting warmer, this soap will be seeing more use over the next few months...

Another day, another tree-stump...
Soap: Wholly Kaw Chypre Rose Concerto
Blade: Polsilver SI (3)
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo (y)@Irish

With the weather getting warmer, this soap will be seeing more use over the next few months...

BvhRWjL.gif

Don’t forget to her a bloody big kiss for all the hard work she’s giving away free donkey milk to Wholly Kaw.

Can you describe the harsh feeling, too sharp or feels pully ?
Third shave in blade could be finished.
Silly me know's that Bic Chromes are a sharp blade so decided I'd give them a try in the milder Apollo plate and now know that the sharpness is too harsh for this combo. :banghead:

I tend to use them in the GC .84P with little issue and might try them in the Apollo aggressive plate over the weekend for comparison. Hopefully the results improve... :unsure:

I'll also try the cork method as Bic's tend to get sharper with continued use. (y)

Last edited:
LDGL0i5.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo knot
Soap/Cream: APR Raconteur shaving soap
Razor: Smart-Helix Apollo light (Aggr.)
Blade: Feather (1)
Post-shave: Pinaud Clubman Musk
Fragrance: Armaf Club de Nuit

First time with a Feather in the Apollo and it was great. It seems to me they get better on shave 2 & 3, might be my imagination, but we'll see.

Brush: Jack the Barber 22mm synthetic
Soap/Cream: Gillette Pure
Razor: Karve CB SB (F) plate
Blade: Astra SP (4)
Post-shave: TN Dickinsons Witch hazel / Swisse daily face moisturiser

2 pass WTG DFS (daily shave)

All this hype about cheapy brushes intrigued me. So for a supermarket discounted special of $4, I thought why not. Going to be daily shaving for a while so a good time to give this cheapy brush a test run. So far initial thoughts, is that lathers like any other plisoft style synthetic, easy and excellent. It has lost a few fibres on first use, subsiquent use it has stopped. It was initially a little scratchy, this seems to be settling down.
If this brush can survive 30 days of daily harsh splaying use, then I will have no hesitation recommending this brush as a stellar travel brush as it is very very light, dries very very fast, and is very very cheap.

LDGL0i5.jpg

Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo knot
Soap/Cream: APR Raconteur shaving soap
Razor: Smart-Helix Apollo light (Aggr.)
Blade: Feather (1)
Post-shave: Pinaud Clubman Musk
Fragrance: Armaf Club de Nuit

First time with a Feather in the Apollo and it was great. It seems to me they get better on shave 2 & 3, might be my imagination, but we'll see.
completely agree with you on Feather blades being better after the first shave. I like using mine in a mild razor for that first shave.

Easy enough to fix a bit of leaking blood, but it does spoil the scent of my soap... ;)
Blood thinners make it a bit like a dripping tap !!

Haven't we all been there!
It does go to show time in years shaving is no guarantee 100% good shaves, 100% of the time. Funny how we don't seem to learn by walking away and starting again a few minutes later.

ofy4CSt.jpg

Friday‌ ‌09.18.20 ‌SOTD‌
Gillette ‘53 British Aristocrat Junior Aluminum
Gillette‌ 7 O'clock SharpEdge Yellow
Semogue‌ ‌Owners‌ ‌Club‌ ‌Cherry‌ ‌Wood‌ ‌Boar‌
Italian‌ ‌Barber‌ ‌Amici‌ ‌Shaving‌ ‌Soap‌
Italian Barber Amici After Shaving Splash

My first SOTD here:

Soap: Noble Otter Hamami
Blade: Nacet (4) last outing for this one.
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo

And here is MY first SOTD post:

Soap: Wholly Kaw Fougere Mania
Brush: Yaqi 26mm rainbow (pony knot)
Razor: Rockwell 6S
Blade: Gillette Nacet
A/S: Thayers cucumber + Stray Whisker After Balm (which I very highly rate)

:)

9-Nfarkg-RT7-Kiyf-Zl-Ffm7o-A.jpg

Cheers on your first SOTD post!

Pre: Warm Shower
Razor: Timeless 95
Blade: Nacet
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Pony
Soap: A&E Monte Carlo

What an amazing shave!! Certainly, one of my best this week and possibly one of my best in the Timeless and with a NACET??????

I was ready to just hand over 50 of these I just bought to a mate, tried them in the Wolfman and another razor this week and both were terrible, rough as can be and drew blood on both occasions.

But today is was polsilver smooth but sharper, a super comfortable shave that delivered an amazing BBS.

How is this possible?

50355406832_5ec5a1475d_b.jpg

What an amazing shave!! Certainly, one of my best this week and possibly one of my best in the Timeless and with a NACET??????

I was ready to just hand over 50 of these I just bought to a mate, tried them in the Wolfman and another razor this week and both were terrible, rough as can be and drew blood on both occasions.

But today is was polsilver smooth but sharper, a super comfortable shave that delivered an amazing BBS.

How is this possible?

Nacets are weird aren’t they? I had similar experience. Very disappointed after buying a 100pack of then and causing nicks and cuts I wasn’t used to.

Even in a 34c I found I was drawing blood much too often. Shaving with steeper angle (riding the bar more than the cap) improved things.

Now I’m finding the combination of Nacet and Rockwell 6S (5 plate) almost perfect. I love a Feather blade in the 6S/5 as well, but too me the Nacet feels sharper than almost anything else.

How is this possible?

There’s are many reasons why the same blade feels different from razor to razor. Eight factors that come to my mind which are:

1. The way the head holds the blade
2. Blade gapes
3. Blade exposure
4. Overall head geometry
5. Some blades aren’t as smooth
6. Some blades aren’t as sharp
7. Some blades are too sharp
8. Some blades are too smooth

Last edited:
Nacets are weird aren’t they? I had similar experience. Very disappointed after buying a 100pack of then and causing nicks and cuts I wasn’t used to.

Even in a 34c I found I was drawing blood much too often. Shaving with steeper angle (riding the bar more than the cap) improved things...
Interesting. Nacets currently give me my easiest really close shaves (especially head/face shaves 2 & 3) and Polsilver SI are very nearly as efficient, but smoother. A couple of months back, I measured those two blades with a digital caliper and found the Pols to be just a little narrower (ie less blade exposure), which might be a contributing factor.

I'm currently (happily) down to just the one DE razor, RR GC-JAWS.

I airways used to think a good blade should work well with any razor, but maybe I'm wrong, since there's obviously some difference in blade exposure between blades, and it's reasonable to assume there are differences of geometry between razor models.

Ok so I knew I tried a nacet in another razor just couldn’t remember which it was, a quick search showed it was my Tuesday SOTD along with lanoville, fine splash, same brush and my timeless

the blade used on Tuesday was on its second use, used once in the WR2 so still newish and today’s shave was literally the next blade in the tuck..

Im thinking it was the razor now thinking it was the lather, today’s def more slick and hydrated compared to Tuesday being more cushiony and dryer..

And what a difference, same blade and razor.. like heaven n hell, amazing just shows me exactly how I like lather

Ok so I knew I tried a nacet in another razor just couldn’t remember which it was, a quick search showed it was my Tuesday SOTD along with lanoville, fine splash, same brush and my timeless

the blade used on Tuesday was on its second use, used once in the WR2 so still newish and today’s shave was literally the next blade in the tuck..

Im thinking it was the razor now thinking it was the lather, today’s def more slick and hydrated compared to Tuesday being more cushiony and dryer..

And what a difference, same blade and razor.. like heaven n hell, amazing just shows me exactly how I like lather

From my own experience, dryer lathers and sharper blades tend to cause me more iritation and weepers. When the soap is dialled at the perfect balance of soap to water ratio, the soap becomes super slick, glossy with no aeration, I tend to get the best shaves, even with average soaps. I really believe in taking the time and dialling in the soap to obtain the optimum water to soap lather ratio, especially when face lathering. Yes it takes a bit of extra time, the results are well worth it for myself. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.