Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre: Hot shower.
Razor: Charcoal Goods Level-2 base plate, limited edition Victorian.
Blade: Gillette Rubie Plus
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Executive Man
WTG, ATG, touch ups with adjusted angles for my beard.
The Charcoal Goods Level-2 and I are getting along well. Easy no fuss excellent shaves.

Fred is the Charcoal Goods Level-2 is somewhere either a C or D from the Karve? before I considered adding to my shopping list.

Fred is the Charcoal Goods Level-2 is somewhere either a C or D from the Karve? before I considered adding to my shopping list.
My CG sits between C-D plates on the Karve. Smooth and comfortable shaves using Gillette Rubie blades.

Last edited:
Have you tried any other blades during your shave beside the Gillette Rubie and may I ask how much did you get yours in AUD plus shipping?
I have used Feather, to harsh in the CG. I suspect blades like Rubies, Astra's and similar in sharpness would be the go. Need to experiment.
Cost, After procuring the Smart Helix and Charcoal Goods am now on a dialysis machine.

tjuqId1l.jpg

Brush: Omega 11126 Boar
Razor: Schick Krona
Blade: Schick Krona (3)
Soap: Vintage Williams
A/S: Tabac

lgcHKYV.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Shavemac 3-band Silvertip Badger
Soap: Noble Otter The Noir Et Vanille
Razor: Merkur Mergress (2.5)
Blade: NOS Gillette Bleue Extra (7)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel; Cella Aftershave Splash

First shave with the Noble Otter 'The Noir Et Vanille' soap. I had in my mind a dark vanilla tobacco scent (ala A&E's Vanille de Tabac). I was surprised to find that the "Noir" in this Novel Otter soap is in fact black tea, which lifts and brightened the scent - it combines beautifully with the vanilla to create a well balanced and complex scent that is also refreshing.
The soap's performance was jolly good, and the NOS Bleue Extra Annecy blade is still performing admirably at its 7th outing.
Three passes and a few touch-up strokes for a BBS result. Also my first use of the Cella aftershave. It has a light citrus cologne scent; is a little easy on the alcohol, and has some glycerin. You feel the glycerin when you apply the splash, but it absorbs readily with no sticky feeling. Looks like another winner.

IF you really love the smell of Tabac so much.
Smells nothing like a grandma to me. Smells like dad did when I was about 4 and watched him shave as often as I could. It's the only fragrance I remember him using although mum tells me he also liked Royal Regiment in the 70's.

Smells nothing like a grandma to me. Smells like dad did when I was about 4 and watched him shave as often as I could. It's the only fragrance I remember him using although mum tells me he also liked Royal Regiment in the 70's.
Tabac reminds me of my Grandma old ladies handbag

lgcHKYV.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Shavemac 3-band Silvertip Badger
Soap: Noble Otter The Noir Et Vanille
Razor: Merkur Mergress (2.5)
Blade: NOS Gillette Bleue Extra (7)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel; Cella Aftershave Splash

First shave with the Noble Otter 'The Noir Et Vanille' soap. I had in my mind a dark vanilla tobacco scent (ala A&E's Vanille de Tabac). I was surprised to find that the "Noir" in this Novel Otter soap is in fact black tea, which lifts and brightened the scent - it combines beautifully with the vanilla to create a well balanced and complex scent that is also refreshing.
The soap's performance was jolly good, and the NOS Bleue Extra Annecy blade is still performing admirably at its 7th outing.
Three passes and a few touch-up strokes for a BBS result. Also my first use of the Cella aftershave. It has a light citrus cologne scent; is a little easy on the alcohol, and has some glycerin. You feel the glycerin when you apply the splash, but it absorbs readily with no sticky feeling. Looks like another winner.
For those who didn't know (probably most people): "Thé noir et vanille" means "black tea and vanilla" in French.

eTUkgXDl.jpg

The steak tartare is probably the highlight of a less than glamorous day of international travel for work. The gloomy weather outside doesn’t matter when you spend the day in your hotel room working on a less than ergonomic chair.

Receiving an email advising that the conference you were to be attending later in the week is cancelled (thanks COVID-19) and then having to rearrange travel is just the icing on the cake.

No, this is not a whinge, I’m very blessed with the opportunities I have and I do get to get home to family quicker than expected. Just a reminder that life is not always what you see on social media or shaving forums!

The other thing that travel does is give you time to reflect on the wonderful family and friends you know IRL. I have lots of great family and friends - and I'd probably include people here among the people I value and appreciate.

Why not tell somebody today how much they mean to you? After you have a shave of course!

bbEKiRZl.jpg

It’s been far too long since I’ve used the Wholly Kaw! Lovely clean scent and superb performance all round.
Loving the TF brush. Feels so soft on my face!
The shave went well but at the end I chased that BBS bastard slightly too hard and got a red patch on my neck. Some balm to soothe this over and I’ll try less hard tomorrow!

Well not posted a SOTD for a couple of days because I'd not shaved lol, stoopid hands triggered and spasmed during my last shave and thank god safety razors can't cut real deep. Man, had it happen to me not long ago and bang again, got myself real good, slashed across my cheek sideways (even got my ear). Bugger, what a mess lol. But healed over enough and man I get hairy quick so thought I'd give it a go today and have a shave.......With my most aggressive razor lmao...Merkur 39C :wacky:.

All went beautifully lol, man love the feel after a 3 way with a fresh new blade in the slanted razor. No idea why I don't use it more often. Some folks think shaving is boring but for me it's always a real adventure and always exciting :LOL: even if gory and messy. Good thing I'm not a male model hahahaha.

Pre: shower and beard oil
Razor: Merkur 39C
Blade: Personna / Israeli red
Brush: Yaqi Space Chrome synth Pony - still love this brush, just works awesome and feel great no matter how I use it.
Soap: Mondial Zagara
Post: Splash of Witch hazel with Tea tree and then AS was traditional bay rum

UJApTKT.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.