Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Holiday what do u like about the zenith over the semogue?
The Zenith is more aesthetic being unbleached bristles and olive wood, the knot is thicker with less splay. Feels a bit like a straw broom when dry but once it has been broken in it's all gel tips. There is much more of a journey with a boar brush as it transforms from straw broom to sloppy noodles and everything in-between. Fortunately it takes many years and a lot of use before becoming sloppy noodles.

RAZOR: Thiers Issard 11/16"
CREAM: Stirling Lavender
BRUSH: Jack the Barber Synthetic
STROP: Black beauty double sided hanging leather
AFTERSHAVE: Chanel Allure
gbOJvdw.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Yaqi - Heavy Metal 24mm timberwolf
Soap/Cream: Saponificio Varesino - Desert Vetiver
Razor: Blackland - Blackbird Ti
Blade: Personna - Lab blue (2,3)
Post-shave: Saponificio Varesino - Desert Vetiver AS / A&E - skin food nourishing cream

2 pass WTG + touchups daily shave = DFS & DFS+.

The Blackbird Titanuim, my thoughts. It is a stunning looking razor in the flesh. Smaller than I expected, weight wise nothing unexpected for a Ti razor. Very smooth and efficient for what it is. The handle is a looker and very grippy with the longitudinal flutes. I used the blade for the last 2 shaves that didn't work in the Tradere in this razor, and had no issues with it.

Efficiency wise I have to agree with @Errol review, around the Karve SB D level. I am hoping my next shave with a Nacet or Feather will increase the efficiency a little to where I like it to be for daily shaves. Agility I would rate it somewhere in between the Rocca and the Lupo 95. Smoothness it is very smooth. Less blade feel than the Tradere and a very slight increase in efficiency and noticeably more agile. The shaving characteristics remind of shaving with a lighter version of a Rex Envoy, in the way the razor feels in the hand and the shaving characteristics. Defiantly has peaked my interest to try the polished SS version with the 101mm handle.

s.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Southern Skies" 30mm Snow Leopard
Soap: Declaration Grooming - Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli (y) @Straight Up
Razor: RR SS Hawk V3
Blade: Feather Pro Super
Post-shave: Shower, Homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+.
COTD: Shakisso Estate, Ethiopia

Some of you may recall that I have a particular aversion to patchouli, often comparing it to the sleazy uncle who invites himself to Christmas dinner. So it was in a spirit of adventure that I was actually keen to try YRP, since I really like the other two scents. Off the dry sample, I mostly get the rose and patchouli, but when lathered up, the unwelcome relative fades to the background and the scent is carried by the lighter citrus. I'd say these scents are fragrance oils rather than essential oils, so the scent overall is a bit of a bathroom bomb, but pleasant nonetheless. As for the base, everything has already been said, it's one of the very best of the best.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Yaqi - Heavy Metal 24mm timberwolf
Soap/Cream: Saponificio Varesino - Desert Vetiver
Razor: Blackland - Blackbird Ti
Blade: Personna - Lab blue (2,3)
Post-shave: Saponificio Varesino - Desert Vetiver AS / A&E - skin food nourishing cream

2 pass WTG + touchups daily shave = DFS & DFS+.

The Blackbird Titanuim, my thoughts. It is a stunning looking razor in the flesh. Smaller than I expected, weight wise nothing unexpected for a Ti razor. Very smooth and efficient for what it is. The handle is a looker and very grippy with the longitudinal flutes. I used the blade for the last 2 shaves that didn't work in the Tradere in this razor, and had no issues with it.

Efficiency wise I have to agree with @Errol review, around the Karve SB D level. I am hoping my next shave with a Nacet or Feather will increase the efficiency a little to where I like it to be for daily shaves. Agility I would rate it somewhere in between the Rocca and the Lupo 95. Smoothness it is very smooth. Less blade feel than the Tradere and a very slight increase in efficiency and noticeably more agile. The shaving characteristics remind of shaving with a lighter version of a Rex Envoy, in the way the razor feels in the hand and the shaving characteristics. Defiantly has peaked my interest to try the polished SS version with the 101mm handle.
Congrats on the score and as always a great detailed read/mini review! Happy Shaves :)

s.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Southern Skies" 30mm Snow Leopard
Soap: Declaration Grooming - Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli (y)@Straight Up
Razor: RR SS Hawk V3
Blade: Feather Pro Super
Post-shave: Shower, Homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+.
COTD: Shakisso Estate, Ethiopia

Some of you may recall that I have a particular aversion to patchouli, often comparing it to the sleazy uncle who invites himself to Christmas dinner. So it was in a spirit of adventure that I was actually keen to try YRP, since I really like the other two scents. Off the dry sample, I mostly get the rose and patchouli, but when lathered up, the unwelcome relative fades to the background and the scent is carried by the lighter citrus. I'd say these scents are fragrance oils rather than essential oils, so the scent overall is a bit of a bathroom bomb, but pleasant nonetheless. As for the base, everything has already been said, it's one of the very best of the best.
Not normally a fan of rose but YRP is one of my favourite scents to date!!! The misses has other ideas but I don't care as its bloody heavenly... :)

Razor: WR2 1.25
Blade: Gillette Minora
Brush: Omega 11137
Soap: Tabac
Splash: Proraso Red

Tonight’s shave was dedicated to Tabac and what a shave it was. I honestly don’t understand why people don’t like its scent, ok it isn’t anything overly special but I actually like it. Will head to chemist warehouse tomorrow to pick up the splash.

Got out the old boar this evening and was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. Never really got on with it when i had it, but there u go. Two boars incoming :)

51336186951_f864282abf_b.jpg

Pre: Hot Shower, Nivea Skin & Stubble
Brush: Yaqi Everest
Soap: Long Rifle Co Bay Rhum
Razor: Razorock Lupo 95
Blade: Minora (4)

Again, agile and smooth. A marked step up in aggressiveness and efficiency over the 72 though I wonder how both will compare with a fresh blade each.

Now to see if the Minora survives the next shave.

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: APR Fougere Bourbon Rose soap
Razor: Vintage NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Super Iridium (9)
Post-shave: APR Fougere Bourbon Rose splash
Fragrance: N/A

Still nice, not Tabac, but nice.

jK55IeXl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.