Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brush:- Simpson Wee Scot
Soap:- Vintage Old Spice
Razor:- 1966 USSR Capital Straight Razor
Aftershave:- B&M Reserve Spice

odshRlf.jpg

Same gear (photo) as Saturday. Extra long weekend = more practice with 66 birthyear straight
Single pass DFS+ with goatee 🐐

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Cherry Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ Hamami
Razor/Blade:- Muhle Rocca R94 / Gillette Stainless (red & white pack) #14
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson The Duke shave brush
Soap/Cream: APR / Squadron Soap Australians All shaving soap
Razor: Vintage British Gillette #15 Aristocrat
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (2)
Post-shave: APR / Squadron Soap Australians All splash
Fragrance: N/A

A great shave, and the whole day to ponder the next!

j63a2KMl.jpg

IMG-20210126-084828.jpg

Brush: TF Customs Blue & Gold 30mm Tuxedo
Razor: Timeless Bronze SB
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (1)
Pre: Shower
Soap: AP Reserve Suitably Attired Summer
Post: AP Reserve Escentials Restoration Serum + Suitably Attired Australian A/S Splash
WTG, ATG, Touchups = Bonza! 🦘

We are one, but we are many
And from all the lands on earth we come
We'll share a dream and sing with one voice
"I am, you are, we are Australian"

boxing-kangaroo-flag-h.jpg

Blade for blade, how do you compare the shave from this razor to the Vector ?
Well, on the basis of just one shave, the performance is similar. The Hawk demands respect, as there's a lot of blade exposed, and you definitely feel the presence of the comb. A lot of similarity to the GC-JAWS there. I got a tiny weeper, just as a nudge to tell me not to get too cocky.

The Vector is much more forgiving, even though it is at least as efficient as the Hawk, possibly more. This may be just me, but I have the impression that the shave from the Vector is more even all over. However, the Vector is more than double the price, so I guess there's that to take into account.

So, APR/Squadron Soaps - Australians All was before my time. I read through the thread. 22 sets only. Wow!

9wWw30L.jpg

Pre: water
Razor: Muhle Rocca R96
Blade: Gillette Nacet
Brush: Maggards Granite 26mm Plisson
Soap: Grooming Dept - Angel

So, onto the soap @rhodes96

I have to admit a large part of the reason I bought this soap was the tub art. I've seen the actual Nike of Samothrace at the Louvre and I was drawn to the design. I did read over the scent notes before purchase, because I didn't want another "Hallows" situation.

For a soap that claims a fruity accord, there's very little fruit in it. Off the puck, the dominant scent to me is talc. Once lathered, the other complex scents start to immerge .I didn't know whether Mo wanted to go with the religious theme with this soap scent, but it sure invoked some memories of my upbringing (I was raised Catholic) when I lathered up. The main incense used in a censer (incense burning vessel), I think is Benzoin. In Angel you get Oud, Myrrh, and Guaiacwood which has a similar effect. Opoponax added the syrupy scent to it, maybe to try and balance out the bitterness of the incense type scents, but I found it a bit overpowering and wish he dialed the sweetness back a bit. Funny enough, I get the musk in this one, unlike in Otium. It's a very complex scent. I think the ambergris adds a kind of richness to the soap scent that you don't normally get with other soaps. It maybe almost too complex in nature, and sometimes, I don't want to think that hard when shaving, trying to sift through all the scent notes. Lamb tallow base is a good performer. I find it a bit 'creamier' than your usual beef tallow soaps and not as thirsty. In terms of performance, I'd put it just outside the top tier and place it around Spearhead 20.1.

Nostalgia pulled out the Plisson, but really only reminded me how far synths have come recently. The Oumo TH outperforms the plisson in almost every category: fibre destiny, fluid retention, flow through, spring, and face feel. Plisson has a touch more backbone, but the feeling is plasticky vs the TH. I'm definitely not buying anymore Gen 2 knots from now on.

Gillette blades and the Muhle Rocca are a match made in heaven. I may not try any other brand of blades at this point. Just yellows and nacets for this razor from now into perpetuity. Smooth, comfortable shave. 3 pass BBS with no nicks or weepers. Good clean shave.

Gillette blades and the Muhle Rocca are a match made in heaven. I may not try any other brand of blades at this point. Just yellows and nacets for this razor from now into perpetuity. Smooth, comfortable shave. 3 pass BBS with no nicks or weepers. Good clean shave.
Have you tried the new Wizamet SI blade with your Rocca, it’s the same as the Polsilver SI which is no longer in production.

Pre-shave: Warm Water
Brush: TF Customs - ivory 24mm 2 band finest.
Soap/Cream: Squadron - The Warden
Razor: Rex - Envoy
Blade: Gillette Minora (10)
Post-shave: Squadron - The Warden - AS splash / Natio - AS balm

Australia Day early morning shave. Very different to last Australia day when I was at work in China and Covid hit. Once busy streets now empty.

2 pass WTG, XTG + touchups = DFS. This blade has finally died on use 10. Unable to finish a ATG pass and settled for touchups. Great blade, giving really good shaves. I won' t be bulk purchasing as it just missed out by 1 pass for the BBS on the 10th shave.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.