Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thiers Issard - #69
Thiers Issard - Silvertip with natural Horn handle
Ariana & Evans - SoCal Hipster
Handpainted Turkish Bowl

upDKyNe.jpg

Honed up this razor to check it's worth restoring the scales.
Have ordered some nice blonde horn to match the brush​

f5Gz0GW.jpeg

Pre: Hot Shower
Brush: Yaqi Everest
Soap: Fine Accoutrements Fresh Vetiver
Razor: 1912 Deco Gem
Blade: provided by @Mark1966

Thanks again for the blades Mark, but not gonna lie, ye olde face scraper was not for me. WTG was all right, but it felt like how it sounded lol. ATG did a number on my neck with a few nicks. Teeny handle and large head was a challenge for my hand. I had to finish up with a Lupo 72/Nacet. Post shave toner was very sting-y. Sorry Mark, I did give it the old college try.

16th September
Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Taj Resin 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap ~ British Leather
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34G / Gillette Minora Stainless #25
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)

18th September
Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Butterscotch 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap ~ British Leather
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Stainless (red & white) #25
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)

Old Republic era series book 7 of 8 (this book is part of the whole series)
510egeZyqaL._SX307_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited:
Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: @Tony Forsyth P&C LE Platypus shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Noble Otter Two Kings shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 Slim Adjustable (6)
Blade: Iridium Super (7)
Post-shave: Noble Otter Two Kings splash
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Halfeti EDP

Sensational shave, again!

6HIdsZEl.jpg

f5Gz0GW.jpeg

Pre: Hot Shower
Brush: Yaqi Everest
Soap: Fine Accoutrements Fresh Vetiver
Razor: 1912 Deco Gem
Blade: provided by @Mark1966

Thanks again for the blades Mark, but not gonna lie, ye olde face scraper was not for me. WTG was all right, but it felt like how it sounded lol. ATG did a number on my neck with a few nicks. Teeny handle and large head was a challenge for my hand. I had to finish up with a Lupo 72/Nacet. Post shave toner was very sting-y. Sorry Mark, I did give it the old college try.

As a few others may chime in and comment - it is a very different angle needed to a DE. It might seem impossible, but once you get it ...

As a few others may chime in and comment - it is a very different angle needed to a DE. It might seem impossible, but once you get it ...
Yup. I watched a few YouTube videos and did go nearly parallel to face angle. I think I also have to get used to handling that little handle. I’ll still give it another go. Won’t waste your blades :)

Yup. I watched a few YouTube videos and did go nearly parallel to face angle. I think I also have to get used to handling that little handle. I’ll still give it another go. Won’t waste your blades :)

You can always sell 'with blades' if it doesn't work - they do last for ages too!

8G7v1Px.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap
Brush: M&F / Brad Sears Finest Badger;
Cream: Castle Forbes Cedarwood
Razor: Wolfman WR1
Blade: Vintage NOS Wilkie Light Brigade (3)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Vintage Old Spice Herbal Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Ralph Lauren Polo Green EdT

Nice to be home.

Last edited:
[url=https://postimg.cc/VJVqnz21][/URL]

Pre: Hot towel, Osma Tradition Preshave Oil
Strop: Razor Emporium Hanging Strop
Razor: Thiers Issard Le Grelot Full Hollow 6/8
Soap: MDC Original
Brush: SOC Finest Badger

A better shave today which I can partly attribute to a good quality strop. I bought this 50g tub of MDC when they were discounted on G&C (they may still be). It seems too narrow to effectively load the brush directly so I scraped some in a lathering bowl and it worked just fine. I am very impressed with it from this first use.

Pre: Hot towel, Osma Tradition Preshave Oil
Strop: Razor Emporium Hanging Strop
Razor: Thiers Issard Le Grelot Full Hollow 6/8
Soap: MDC Original
Brush: SOC Finest Badger

A better shave today which I can partly attribute to a good quality strop. I bought this 50g tub of MDC when they were discounted on G&C (they may still be). It seems too narrow to effectively load the brush directly so I scraped some in a lathering bowl and it worked just fine. I am very impressed with it from this first use.

Very impressed with MdC?

Might have to bid on the MdC lot in the charity auction.

OOPS!

Did I say too much?

l34OrHw.jpg

Brush: TF Custom/Oumo 26mm LotusTip
Soap/Cream: Mike’s Natural Soaps ‘Barber Shop’
Razor: Tatara Nodachi, Masamune handle
Blade: Gillette ‘Red+White’ (2)
Post-shave: Alum block, Pinaud Clubman Reserve, Jovan Musk
I've been running a few different blades through the Nodachi; Feather (rough), Nacet (passable), Wizamet (good) but this Red+White is the closest to the Minora that performed so well on the initial shaves. It seems that a slightly milder but smooth blade suits this razor (for me so far). Mike's soap is great, which of course adds to the positives. DFS+

Sunday 09.19.21 SOTD
Gillette ‘67 M2 Slim @6 / Polsilver Super Iridium
Elite Razor Fire and Ice 24mm Manchurian White Fan
Fine Accoutrements Platinum Shaving Soap & Aftershave
I’m going to miss this soap when it’s used up. I’ve tried the new version and it’s ok. I prefer a hard soap. Plus the scent in the new one is a little bit off -- not really strong enough for me.

w9xTZIy.png

Last edited:
I decided on a laid back ye olde worlde shave with a turn of the last century [1900] shaving scuttle. This is not a well understood item and I confess I may be holding the bull at the wrong end.
Boil a kettle and fill the scuttle through the top. There are about 3 - 5 holes in most old scuttles. As you can see there is a "mouth" on the scuttle and it may have been for soaking a brush but to be really useful the mug part is filled with boiling or very hot water and I'm not sure I want to subject my brush to boiling or near water temperature. Soak your boar in quite warm water and then load your brush with the amount of soap you need to create your lather. With the reservoir at the base full of boiling water place the soap loaded brush upright in the small bowl on the top and let it stand for about 1-2 minutes. There is no water in the bowl. This bowl on top is about the size and contour of a bloomed 24 - 28 mm boar or badger. The boar in my shot is 24 mm. Steam rising through the holes will enter the brush to give a wonderful warmth to the brush. Face lather and then place the brush back on the top of the scuttle as I have it in the picture. This will be continuing giving warm lather regardless of the touch ups or passes you do.
The lather was excellent.

Scuttle.
Derby soap grated into a high end :) black plastic container.
Brush is an Omega 24mm
Razor: Gold dollar Spanish point. It now has a great edge and shaves well.
Isopropyl Alcohol splash

@bald as, thanks for posting this because I definitely had the bull by the wrong end and thought the soap sat in the top bowl to be softened by the steam and then lathered. Thinking the design was flawed because lather would fall through the holes. This now makes sense and I will get one in the den for those freezing cold Darwin mornings ( :unsure: maybe Tassie ). I have seen a few for sale with a puck of soap in the top bowl which led me to think this was the purpose. They were such a popular item in previous generations. A misunderstood design with it's purpose being lost in the history of time. (y)

Finally, I returned home after my professional activity. Normally, it makes me feel weird so long I've been gone. Until next time, because it is not known what Monday will bring.

Today I decided to shave richly. In a sensual, not economic sense. Below:

Before: Hot shower
Razor : Muhle R41 Rose
Razor blade: London Bridge (1)
Brush: Zenith B 29 oro
Soap: MdC
Aftershave: Pitralon Polar

I started shaving very planned by choosing a set. I thought about every part of it, taking into account not only the result I wanted to achieve, but also the time in which I will enjoy this result. I also tried to choose the set a esthetically. As you already realized, I had time. I started by pouring hot water into the shavebowl, and leaving the brush in it to soak it. During this time, I took a hot, 10-minute long shower, which allowed me to remove dust and dust from the Polish borderlands. I was getting rid of this dirt with some relief, and the mere awareness of its transience made me feel good. When my skin was soft with the hot water and the stubble on my face was under the weight of my hand, I decided to end the reconnaissance phase and proceed to operational activities on the offensive. I put about 3 g of MdC soap into the shavebowl. I choose this shavebowl soap with a wooden ice-cream stick. It is a hard soap and its plasticity in terms of molding is difficult. At the bottom of the shavebowl, I crushed these 3 grams with my fingers and poured a little hot water over it. At that time, I attached the London Bridge razor to the Muhle R41 razor. It is a highly professional and effective combination. London Bridge razor blades are considered one of the best in the world and have honestly earned their reputation. There is no need to write much about Muhle R41. When the water in the shavebowl turned milky, I poured it over my hands and rubbed it on my face. These suds are a kind of preeshave. Then I took the dripping brush from the bristles and, without shaking it of the remaining water, began to knead the foam in the shavebowl with twisting movements of the wrist.
Here are a few words about the shavebowl. I bought it in Greece at a market. It is the equivalent of the Polish so-called dragon bowls. While at first I was delighted with its qualities, its disadvantage soon surfaced during use. Inverted trapezoid shape. It seems to be a natural shape and we do not pay attention to it, but when kneading the foam, it is this shape that causes the excess to fall out of the shavebowl . You have to focus so as not to splash the bathroom. I have a second shavebowl from Mruk, the shape of which is much more practical because the side walls are perpendicular to the bottom, not at an angle. Take note of this as you will ever be guided by the choice of the shavebowl.
The Zenith B29 Oro bristle brush is one of my favorites because of the quality and the fastening of the wick. Despite their resilience, the tips are delicate, which allows for very good grinding of hard and dense facial hair. Badger hair such as silvertip or soft synthetics will not work in this case. In addition, what is important to me, this brush perfectly stores foam that does not fall off the tip of the wick, and then willingly gives it back when applying to the face.
When the foam tightly framed my face and the substitutes contained in the soap began to affect the stubble prepared for cutting, I picked up a Muhle R41 razor armed with an LB razor blade. Beginners, I warn you right away that this is a demanding set. The razor is aggressive and the razor blade is really very sharp. This set does not forgive mistakes and shortcomings in mastering the technique. I made the first run with the hair . I moved the head at the right angle, which in this machine is forced by the head and set it, intuitively moving it over the cheeks and neck, relying only on its weight and not interfering with the pressure on the face plane. You could feel the razor blade, which is natural in this razor, but it felt pleasant as the cutting edge of a hydrofoil glided over the slippery surface of the protective filter made by foam, collecting the stubble above the level of the skin. The first pass, with the hair, is the safest and requires the least attention.The second pass allowed the cutting edge to be tidied up on stubble elements that had somehow escaped their fate while shaving with hair. This happens because the lather can stick the stubble to your face. This is prevented by the application of foam and massage before the second takeover, which lifts and detaches the so-called. skin laggards. The third cut against the grain is the most difficult for technical and psychological reasons. You read the mental ones so well. After two passes, our psyche tells us that we are shaved and the third pass is just a formality. Nothing could be more wrong. Third Passageagainst the grain can leave us unpleasant souvenirs in the form of reddening and bloody dots. It is the result of our nonchalance and self-confidence. Remember that in the third pass you are cutting stubble that has resisted the first two attacks of the cutting edge. It cannot be underestimated, it means that the places where it happened are somehow special on our face. After many years of shaving, I have already mastered it and I just intuitively stretch or unclip the skin in these places in order to expose the remaining stubble to the cutting edge. Remember not to try to tighten the head in such cases, because irritation is guaranteed.
Removing the facial hair from my face went smoothly and with no surprises. I really like using soaps that have high caring properties. This avoids the skin tightening effect. After shaving, I used Pitralon Polar water. I would lie as if I wrote that nothing was too stingy. I always smell aftershave after shaving with this set. It is not a burning or stinging sensation in an uncomfortable sense, but a sensation that confirms the effect of a disinfectant and caring agent.
I won't bother you anymore with the maintenance items for the razor, brush and razor blade, so thank you for your attention.

c000924f90c19be6.png

Finally, I returned home after my professional activity. Normally, it makes me feel weird so long I've been gone. Until next time, because it is not known what Monday will bring.

Today I decided to shave richly. In a sensual, not economic sense. Below:

Before: Hot shower
Razor : Muhle R41 Rose
Razor blade: London Bridge (1)
Brush: Zenith B 29 oro
Soap: MdC
Aftershave: Pitralon Polar

I started shaving very planned by choosing a set. I thought about every part of it, taking into account not only the result I wanted to achieve, but also the time in which I will enjoy this result. I also tried to choose the set a esthetically. As you already realized, I had time. I started by pouring hot water into the shavebowl, and leaving the brush in it to soak it. During this time, I took a hot, 10-minute long shower, which allowed me to remove dust and dust from the Polish borderlands. I was getting rid of this dirt with some relief, and the mere awareness of its transience made me feel good. When my skin was soft with the hot water and the stubble on my face was under the weight of my hand, I decided to end the reconnaissance phase and proceed to operational activities on the offensive. I put about 3 g of MdC soap into the shavebowl. I choose this shavebowl soap with a wooden ice-cream stick. It is a hard soap and its plasticity in terms of molding is difficult. At the bottom of the shavebowl, I crushed these 3 grams with my fingers and poured a little hot water over it. At that time, I attached the London Bridge razor to the Muhle R41 razor. It is a highly professional and effective combination. London Bridge razor blades are considered one of the best in the world and have honestly earned their reputation. There is no need to write much about Muhle R41. When the water in the shavebowl turned milky, I poured it over my hands and rubbed it on my face. These suds are a kind of preeshave. Then I took the dripping brush from the bristles and, without shaking it of the remaining water, began to knead the foam in the shavebowl with twisting movements of the wrist.
Here are a few words about the shavebowl. I bought it in Greece at a market. It is the equivalent of the Polish so-called dragon bowls. While at first I was delighted with its qualities, its disadvantage soon surfaced during use. Inverted trapezoid shape. It seems to be a natural shape and we do not pay attention to it, but when kneading the foam, it is this shape that causes the excess to fall out of the shavebowl . You have to focus so as not to splash the bathroom. I have a second shavebowl from Mruk, the shape of which is much more practical because the side walls are perpendicular to the bottom, not at an angle. Take note of this as you will ever be guided by the choice of the shavebowl.
The Zenith B29 Oro bristle brush is one of my favorites because of the quality and the fastening of the wick. Despite their resilience, the tips are delicate, which allows for very good grinding of hard and dense facial hair. Badger hair such as silvertip or soft synthetics will not work in this case. In addition, what is important to me, this brush perfectly stores foam that does not fall off the tip of the wick, and then willingly gives it back when applying to the face.
When the foam tightly framed my face and the substitutes contained in the soap began to affect the stubble prepared for cutting, I picked up a Muhle R41 razor armed with an LB razor blade. Beginners, I warn you right away that this is a demanding set. The razor is aggressive and the razor blade is really very sharp. This set does not forgive mistakes and shortcomings in mastering the technique. I made the first run with the hair . I moved the head at the right angle, which in this machine is forced by the head and set it, intuitively moving it over the cheeks and neck, relying only on its weight and not interfering with the pressure on the face plane. You could feel the razor blade, which is natural in this razor, but it felt pleasant as the cutting edge of a hydrofoil glided over the slippery surface of the protective filter made by foam, collecting the stubble above the level of the skin. The first pass, with the hair, is the safest and requires the least attention.The second pass allowed the cutting edge to be tidied up on stubble elements that had somehow escaped their fate while shaving with hair. This happens because the lather can stick the stubble to your face. This is prevented by the application of foam and massage before the second takeover, which lifts and detaches the so-called. skin laggards. The third cut against the grain is the most difficult for technical and psychological reasons. You read the mental ones so well. After two passes, our psyche tells us that we are shaved and the third pass is just a formality. Nothing could be more wrong. Third Passageagainst the grain can leave us unpleasant souvenirs in the form of reddening and bloody dots. It is the result of our nonchalance and self-confidence. Remember that in the third pass you are cutting stubble that has resisted the first two attacks of the cutting edge. It cannot be underestimated, it means that the places where it happened are somehow special on our face. After many years of shaving, I have already mastered it and I just intuitively stretch or unclip the skin in these places in order to expose the remaining stubble to the cutting edge. Remember not to try to tighten the head in such cases, because irritation is guaranteed.
Removing the facial hair from my face went smoothly and with no surprises. I really like using soaps that have high caring properties. This avoids the skin tightening effect. After shaving, I used Pitralon Polar water. I would lie as if I wrote that nothing was too stingy. I always smell aftershave after shaving with this set. It is not a burning or stinging sensation in an uncomfortable sense, but a sensation that confirms the effect of a disinfectant and caring agent.
I won't bother you anymore with the maintenance items for the razor, brush and razor blade, so thank you for your attention.

c000924f90c19be6.png
Love the blueys instead of the rosy handle (y)

Sunday 09.19.21 SOTD
Gillette ‘67 M2 Slim @6 / Polsilver Super Iridium
Elite Razor Fire and Ice 24mm Manchurian White Fan
Fine Accoutrements Platinum Shaving Soap & Aftershave
I’m going to miss this soap when it’s used up. I’ve tried the new version and it’s ok. I prefer a hard soap. Plus the scent in the new one is a little bit off -- not really strong enough for me.

w9xTZIy.png

I think VSHOD still stocks the old formula: http://www.vshod.com/shaving-soap/Fine-Accoutrements-Platinum-Shaving-Soap-Australia.html

I'm not sure if they ship internationally.

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: B&M Petrichor shaving soap
Razor: Muhle R95 Rocca Birch Bark handle
Blade: Iridium Super (8)
Post-shave: B&M Petrichor splash
Fragrance: N/A

Nice

CzFDmCOl.jpg

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: B&M Petrichor shaving soap