Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude I'm saving my $$$ as that looks a piece of art!!! What SE blade/s do you recommend in comparison to say a Wizamet SI DE (smoothness/longevity)...?
The Vector works fine no matter what blade you use, even the Chinese No-Names. I've tried most of the more commonly available blades (Feather Pro and Pro Super, Kai PINK, Schick Proline and the CNNs). No need to bother with any of the trainer-wheel blades.

I spent months on the fence between the PINK and the Proline, but I have finally come down on the side of the latter, as I think it gives me my smoothest shaves. The Kai might just be a tad sharper, it's hard to tell.

I now only use Supers in the RR SS Hawk V3 (standard SB), as all the others are a bit too close to neutral in blade exposure.

I tend to swap all of them out after about a week (daily 3-pass plus, head and face). They'll go further if you really want them to, as the performance doesn't drop off a cliff the way DE blades mostly do.

The Vector works fine no matter what blade you use, even the Chinese No-Names. I've tried most of the more commonly available blades (Feather Pro and Pro Super, Kai PINK, Schick Proline and the CNNs). No need to bother with any of the trainer-wheel blades.

I spent months on the fence between the PINK and the Proline, but I have finally come down on the side of the latter, as I think it gives me my smoothest shaves. The Kai might just be a tad sharper, it's hard to tell.

I now only use Supers in the RR SS Hawk V3 (standard SB), as all the others are a bit too close to neutral in blade exposure.
How many shaves does each blade yearn per blade?

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: CaYuen "Copper Ore" 30mm Boss
Soap: Stirling - Bergamot Lavender
Razor: RR SS Hawk V3
Blade: Feather Pro Super
Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+, Stirling Bergamot Lavender EDT
COTD: Hamasil Village, Yemen

I didn't get around to taking a pic today. The news is that (with a bit of encouragement from @SpeedyPC the other day) I've replaced the SynBad knot in this brush with a Boss that I removed brutally from a chipped Yaqi White Knight handle that never fitted in my hand very well. I also totally destroyed the SynBad in the process. No way was it ever going to come out peacefully, even though it was set with silicone.

The Boss suits me much better. The SynBad is just too much like a cosmetics brush.

I

I tend to swap all of them out after about a week (daily 3-pass plus, head and face). They'll go further if you really want them to, as the performance doesn't drop off a cliff the way DE blades mostly do.
I greatly appreciate the advice as I'm a complete novice when it comes to SE razors/blades and the thicker blade looks like it might suit my thicker growth better...? :unsure: I did test out the Sabre kindly loaned by @Pbgoose which was different but the Vector's slim profile really looks appealing! :nailbiting:

I’m not experienced enough with AC blades to make comment. I have 3 types, probably the most popular ones, Schick Prolines, Feather Pros and Kai Captain Titan Milds. I haven’t used a Kai yet, but hard to pick much difference between the other two after using each 5 or 6 times.
Thanks for the feedback. (y)

Schick Prolines SE feels very similar to the Wizamet SI / Polsilver SI

Kai Captain Titan Milds SE feels very similar to the Astra SP
Great to have a comparison - cheers! (y)

I greatly appreciate the advice as I'm a complete novice when it comes to SE razors/blades and the thicker blade looks like it might suit my thicker growth better...? :unsure: I did test out the Sabre kindly loaned by @Pbgoose which was different but the Vector's slim profile really looks appealing! :nailbiting:
I don't think there's any spare metal on the Vector at all. If they slimmed it down any more, it might vanish. :unsure: The AC blades are definitely a different experience, perhaps a bit closer to the feel of a straight, but without the blood. Sadly, it seems to be unobtainium except in the vastly more expensive Ti form at the moment. :(

Last edited:
Pre-shave:- Cold shower
Brush:- Tony Forsyth custom Mallee Burl & Resin Hybrid 2-Band Finest Badger
Soap:- Stirling - Frozen Tundra
Razor:- CB Karve OC-D
Blade:- Gillette Minora (7)
Aftershave:- Stirling WHAM

cAU2f6W.jpg

CGZ3IPj.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus High Mountain White Badger;
Soap: Phoenix and Beau Pall Mall
Razor: Wolfman WR1
Blade: Vintage NOS Wilkie Light Brigade (12)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Florida Water (Peruvian)
Scent: Farina 1709 Original Cologne

Lovely citrus-inspired shave - the P&B soap has excellent cushion.
I have a slight preference for the Peruvian version of Florida Water - whilst very similar to its North American equivalent, I find the Peruvian version a little more well rounded, but still retaining a good citrus zing.

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: @TroyTools 26mm boar "Soap Slayer" shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Noble Otter Two Kings shaving soap
Razor: Muhle R95 Rocca Birch Bark handle
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (5)
Post-shave: Noble Otter Two Kings splash
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Halfeti

Wow this brush really is the Soap Slayer (TM) Great shave!

DtkmSvml.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.