Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

anyone know why old brushes have smaller knots (20mm?) and short lofts?

Not really - but my observation would be that many things were smaller generations ago - unless progress for that item is determined by miniaturisation.

Razor: Rockwell 6s R3
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless
Soap: Saponifico Varesino Opuntia
Brush: Razorock Plissoft
Aftershave: Chatillion Lux Bon Vivant

A while back I had a run of bad shaves while testing new blades so I returned to the Rockwell 6s. I normally use R6 but decided to use R3 to minimise irritation. I was amazed how smooth it was. Since aquiring a Wolfman at the start of 2020 it became my go to razor, with the others gathering dust in the corner. The Wolfman is incredibly smooth, but not as smooth as the Rockwell. Compared to the Rockwell R3 the Wolfman feels very aggressive with lots of blade feel. The Wolfman, however, is significantly more efficient than the Rockwell. This higher efficiency of the Wolfman meant that I never felt the need to go ATG. The first WTG pass knocks down 75 % of growth and the subsequent XTG pass removed whats left. This however never resulted in full BBS, which is to be expected. The shaves overall were close and irritation free.
With the milder feeling of the Rockwell I felt confident enough to go ATG and was able achieve a level of closeness I've never felt before, without any irritation. I now fully understand what BBS means. Looking back it is clear that I lacked the proper technique to achieve a close shave with the Rockwell, which led me to seek out more efficient razors. This resulted in the acquisition of the Wolfman. I don't want to say I regret purchasing the Wolfman but my preference now leans to mild, low blade feel razors. I thought the Wolfman was my RAD killer, but with this new appreciation for mild razors I've starting looking razors like the H&S N075 and Yates Model 921.

MdC Fougere
Milk Churn
Supply

Public holiday down in Vic, so just a quick single pass this morning. Enough to wipe away the weekend whiskers.​

Why do YOU deserve a holiday in Victoria? Surely you have not been working as hard as we have in Canberra?

IMG-20210308-190027.jpg

Brush: Alpha Shaving Brushes Kryten Ti 28mm UHD Manchurian
Razor: Smart Helix Apollo H 0.85mm Aggressive Plate
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (7)
Pre: Shower
Soap: Squadron Soaps Empire
Post: Squadron Soaps Empire A/S Splash // The Stray Whisker After Balm
WTG, ATG, Touchups = DFS+

Back home after a trip away visiting Windang Beach & Kiama Blowhole.
Nursing a few days beard growth which was no match for this set up. :)
Sadly back to work Tuesday but very glad to be back home safe and sound...

Happy Shaves!

SOTW:
Pre-shave:-
Shower
Brush:- Simpson Jubilee QEII 130/150
Brush:- Simpson 90th Anniversary Astor Super Badger 84/90
Soap:- P.160 - Tippo Morbido
Razor:- Karve - D Plate OC & SB
Blade:- Astra SP
Post-shave:- Cella

wRHVLOh.jpg

RCKmmtO.jpg

Razor: Muhle Rocca R96
Blade: Ladas SS
Brush: Oumo 26mm Hook fan badger
Soap: Grooming Department - Cedarwood

So, I was curious about this considering the number of essential oils that was used to create the scent accord. I frequently wear leather shoes and own a fair share of cedar shoe trees, so I'm no stranger to Cedarwood. However, this is less Cedar 'wood' and more a resinous cedar medicine cabinet. Not sure how much of the scent comes from the Nai base with its 1 million ingredients. The sheer number of essential oils is crazy:

Orange EO, Grapefruit EO, Ginger Lily EO, Ginger EO, Pink Pepper EO, Geranium Absolute, Rose Absolute, Howood EO, Siam Wood EO, Benzoin Resin, Carrot Seed EO, Alaska Cedarwood EO, Hiba (Japanese Cedarwood) EO, Port Orford Cedarwood EO, Styrax, Muhuhu EO, Himalayan Cedarwood EO, Virginia Cedarwood EO. Texas Hill Country Cedarwood EO, Atlas Cedarwood Absolute. Vetiver Absolute, Patchouli EO, Vanilla Co2 extract, Tonka Bean Absolute.

Like 7 different cedar wood essential oils. Wtf. Of course I was curious about what it was going to smell like. It's sort of woody with resin and spice, sort of like a cigar box that's also used to keep household medicines in it. But it's hard to smell individual scents, everything kind of piles on together and comes off muddy. The amount of oil has affected the Nai base as well. It's much much softer than Otium, almost a cream than a croap. I had to bowl lather for the first time in a long time because there's no way I could load this soap properly on my brush. First swirl, I scraped off a ton of soap off the top of the puck, had to scrape some off the brush and finish the lather in the bowl instead. Good latherability, but sensitive to water. Good slickness and good cushion. However, it fails a little in the post shave (the part that it was supposed to excel in). I think the post shave is not as good as Otium, certainly worse than Mammoth Soaps Tusk (my top post shave performer atm). Only buy if you're really into cedarwood.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Declaration Gooming / Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender shaving soap
Razor: Muhle Rocca R95
Blade: KAI (4)
Post-shave: Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender splash
Fragrance: Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender EDP

Well us lifters are back to work today, although for me that is Zooming into a team meeting in Sydney I cannot attend as I'm not allowed to fly or drive post some minor surgery. All day on Zoom, just great ...

(BTW - our staff from WA are not attending either as there will be Victorians there. Being in the same room as Victorians would mean quarantining for 14 days on their return to WA!)

pSIWIxCl.jpg

Two brushes @Holiday ?

Status
Not open for further replies.