Shave of the Day Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not the razor. It is a psychological problem I have of being scared to shave with a "safety" razor. I need to be able to see a razor's edge on my skin to feel safe.

i hear ya but a crappy razor is a crappy razor, cant say your is for sure but the cheap price and MIC would suggest so

there is no way a WTG pass should result in blood loss

It's not the razor. It is a psychological problem I have of being scared to shave with a "safety" razor. I need to be able to see a razor's edge on my skin to feel safe.

... and there is no way you would catch me shaving with one of those deadly straight razors - a man could DIE shaving with one of those! ;)

Was interested that you rated it five stars though?

i hear ya but a crappy razor is a crappy razor, cant say your is for sure but the cheap price and MIC would suggest so

there is no way a WTG pass should result in blood loss

The Ming Shi 2000S is a cheap Futur clone, while QC can be an issue others are fine. However unless that one is seriously flawed, which I would think @rbscebu would be able to tell pretty quickly, it pretty much has to be technique.

I find technique differs between razors so between a straight and a safety it would as well. It is simply a matter of persisting as many have done here going from carts to safety razors.

Or not being bothered and only use straights.

Last edited:
#Sofisticato

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- BSB Spain 24mm
Soap:- Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Razor:- Timeless Titanium Slim with Crown Handle
Blade:- Wizamet (7)
Aftershave:- Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary

1KQacj9.jpg

First impressions of the Ti Slim and there is no denying it's quality and performance plus the amazing crown handle. The light weight titanium takes a bit of getting used to though

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: APR Fougere Trois shaving soap
Razor: Muhle Rocca
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (2)
Post-shave: APR Fougere Trois splash
Fragrance: N/A

Ip86Djvl.jpg

NnlZMXS.png

ATT Aluminum Bamboo SE1 / Schick Proline
Gillette Foamy Shave Cream / Barbasol Brisk Aftershave
No time for a decent shave and pic. Training my new pup is keeping me way too busy.

C2RlJxV.png
Love that cute puppy, I believe is she as I can see the pink collar around the neck ;)

3.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Troycraft "Opalesque", 28mm AP Shave Co G5C fan
Soap: Czech & Speake - Oxford & Cambridge (Valobra)
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM
Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Mandheling Sumatra

I think I'll just say this is my SOTW setup and be done with it, rather than duplicating the same post for the rest of the week... :unsure:

WR2 1.25
German Wilkie
TroyCraft 26mm Boar
B&M Seville
Amici

Finally did it!!! first time I left out the ATG pass to see what this can do so with just 2 passes of WTG and XTG I got a DFS+ shave... not BBS but can def see myself doing this every now and again

51953531754_df97eb1050_b.jpg

WR2 1.25
German Wilkie
TroyCraft 26mm Boar
B&M Seville
Amici

Finally did it!!! first time I left out the ATG pass to see what this can do so with just 2 passes of WTG and XTG I got a DFS+ shave... not BBS but can def see myself doing this every now and again

51953531754_df97eb1050_b.jpg
That's pretty much all I do as well.

I'll go WTG and XTG on my face, WTG and ATG on my neck and that's it.

What's the 8mm AP Shave Co G5C knot like?
I don't have an 8mm knot, that might be a bit small for me. ;)

If you mean 28mm, I really like it. All three of the AP G5 knots are great actually. 28mm is a nice size for loading from small pucks of milled soap. The G5C has Japanese fibres, unlike the G5A and G5B which are German, and the G5C is the only fan. This one I think has softer tips than the others, but lots of backbone like a 2-band badger. Also like a good badger, the fibres don't clump together much when loaded, so the knot holds (and releases) a lot of lather between the fibres.

Some G5 knots have a reputation for having an intrusive glue bump, but none of these do. Since the loft is comparatively low, they benefit from being set high in the handle to allow free movement of the fibres.

Status
Not open for further replies.