Review Shaver Heaven Bay Rum.

Dale.Whiley

2017 Sabbatical
Townsville - postcode is one digit off heaven
Shaver Heaven's Bay Rum shave soap does not appear to have it's own review thread but deserves one. Thanks to the generosity of @filobiblic for sending me a sample jar of this wonderful soap.

@Anthony from Shaver Heaven writes this on their website.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Ahoy there me hearty’s! If you're a fan of the "Bay Rum" scent, then you'll love this soapy concoction!

This fragrance is all about exotic spices. Allspice, Capers, Cloves, Nutmeg and mix with Crushed Orange, Crisp Pine Needles and just a touch of Patchouli and Vanilla.

Each soap comes in a 250ml tub but contains 150ml of soap, which gives you more than ample room to load your brush in. The tub is also reusable!

My soaps are phthalate free, SLS (Sodium Laureth Sulfate) free, colour free (other than natural colour produced by the fragrance / essential oil used) and Prarben free.

You can read more about phthalates here, SLS here and Parabens here.

All my products which contain Palm Oil use Sustainable Palm Oil.

150g Soft Soap when packaged.

Ingredients: Saponified Stearic Acid, Aqua (Water), Saponified Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil, Saponified Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Glycerin, Sodium Lactate, Fragrance (Essential Oils and/or Fragrance).​

My thoughts on this soap after 4 shaves.

Packaging.
I only got a sample jar from @filobiblic but as I have another Shaver Heaven soap, Desperado (thanks @stillshunter) I can vouch for the quality of container. Nice blue plastic with a large diameter opening. Looks good and functional.

Initial scent (dry).
Faint scent but pleasant nonetheless. Bay Rum'ish, sweet smell. No stand out scent but definitely bay rum with probably the sweetness coming from the vanilla and orange. I couldn't really detect the cloves.

Lathering.
I mashed the soap into my wooden bowl and proceeded to load the badger. Water produced a stronger scent, not bringing out different smells, but just a stronger bay rum and sweet smell.

15-20 seconds was enough to load the badger and the resulting lather was thick and creamy. Face lathered easily and just kept producing lather. Finished a 3 pass shave everyday and there was always enough for another lather/pass in the brush. Towards the end of each pass the lather "appeared or looked" to be drying on my face but still performed admirably.

Proof is in the pudding.
Excellent shaves each day. The straight provided close shaves all 4 days with no "dragging" on my face, no irritations and no nicks. A top performing shave soap which gets @Anthony a big thumbs up.

The "after scent".
Nah; there wasn't any.

Overall.
Well done @Anthony. Great shaving soap. The lack of a strong, pronounced scent will not make this a regular in my rotation but for those looking for a great Australian shave soap (and really, we have to shave with it, not sniff it) I recommend this soap.

Yep indeed - great review

Well written mate.

I wonder if a full tub would have a stronger scent than a sample? From experience I often find this to be true, but I don't know if it's just me... Anyone else think this?
Also, @Dale.Whiley does your full tub of Shaver Heaven (Desperado) smell stronger than the small sample?

does your full tub of Shaver Heaven (Desperado) smell stronger than the small sample?
Smells stronger in:
1. The abundance/quantity of soap department
2. The Desperado isn't just a soapish type smell. It was made as an "in your face" leather scent and it is a very in your face/pronounced scent.

It is far stronger and not just because of the volume.