shaving gear storage

stillshunter

a man of resolve, a man of conviction
State Convenor - ACT
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical Fail
From the outset my ambition is to become like @Drubbing , one razor, one soap, one brush, one aftershave and maybe even the one blade to get me through my remaining years. But alas I am weak. Now the little bathroom I share with the missus is groaning under the weight of my gear. I've exceeded my allocated top drawer of the vanity and just this morning I had to relocate my scents to the study to make room on the window sill which is already stacked half a metre high with software. OK it's only a little bathroom but with Summer coming we might want to open that window and...

Anyway I'm not asking how to build an extension but how you fellas store your gear. My main concerns are, for example, I have 5 razors with another 2 on the way. I don't really like the look of them sitting at the bottom of the drawer. How do you store your DEs? Soaps are stacked one atop the other on the sill…OK when I want to use the little tub of Cella up top, but I pity the sturdier Tabac at the bottom….and never got to use the HTGAMs in its super-wide container. Any soap stacking tips? I have many, many, 5 packs of blades. Currently in a little feta bucket in the vanity drawer. Any more elegant solutions for blade pack storage?

Thinking of making myself a shaving cabinet down the track...or just banging up a set of shelves on the wall. OK I've seen the elaborate setups YKW, so would be keen to know how real men stack their bulk.

Caveat 1 - in my quest to be @Drubbing I am not asking for photos of member's 'dens' (shudder)
Caveat 2 - I'm talking working gear - as I do recall images of @Mark1966 's museum set-up.

Last edited:
I think I've shown my active stuff before but here it is again:

There may have been some additions since then ...

….and you share this space with the missus @Mark1966 ? Wow, she must need nothing more than a toothbrush and comb ;)

Wow, she must need nothing more than a toothbrush and comb ;)
Does she have any sisters?!?!?!?!?

Pix save many words hence like Mr Mark I'm going to use those to show my active soaps and brushes. As far as razors and blades go:

RAZORS: I generally only keep one razor out at a time. I'll use it for as long as it takes my interest and then roughly clean it (usually just hot water and a towel over) and put it back with the others They all live in a cardboard box which is full of my surplus/non-active gear.

BLADES: I've a small (~7x4x3cm) tupperware container that I will periodically fill with depacked but still wrappered blades. I'll keep a selection of stuff in there. Its just the right size to hold the blades nicely like a filing cabinet. If it gets low top it up but saves keeping multiple packs etc in the bathroom. Only hassle is if you're wanting blades that don't come paper wrapped etc plastic dispenser - but I've not got a lot of those.
IMG_20141028_090540.jpg IMG_20141028_090558.jpg

We're only in a rental property so perhaps someday a better solution will present but works, is relatively compact and was little hassle to setup. Oh each of my brushes has a lil 'super' magnet silicone glued to its handle base - so after use I can hang them upside down from the metallic stand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @Nick the Knife …very neatly arrayed…..the cleanliness of @Mark1966 and yourself makes me feel like a slob. Having said that just a heads up, you've got some unsightly mould taking hold within your vanity drawer - towards the front nearest the handle - might I suggest professional folks with asbestos/ebola suits to remove safely.

Feeling a little inspired and browsing COTS shaving/mirror cabinets online.

That was one of the best sections over at YKW. Gave me confidence that in comparative terms and contrary to my families opinion I 'm not mad.
…and therein lies the beauty of P&C - we're here to be honest and frank enough to let you know you are! Stark raving mate!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
..........Having said that just a heads up, you've got some unsightly mould taking hold within your vanity drawer - towards the front nearest the handle - might I suggest professional folks with asbestos/ebola suits to remove safely...........

If you guys don't stop this ARKO bashing we're going to split off and just disappear and sulk in the corner. Or we're going to be louder and prouder about it. Suggest lots of daily shave posts in the month of Arktober. For good measure we'll precede it by a month of Arktember and because the current month of Arktober is as good as gone we'll follow it up with a month of, you guessed it, Arktember. Our banner, just to do another force fit of daft words, will read EBOLA (Everyday, Best, Oh so Lovely, Arko).

If you guys don't stop this ARKO bashing we're going to split off and just disappear and sulk in the corner. Or we're going to be louder and prouder about it. Suggest lots of daily shave posts in the month of Arktober. For good measure we'll precede it by a month of Arktember and because the current month of Arktober is as good as gone we'll follow it up with a month of, you guessed it, Arktember. Our banner, just to do another force fit of daft words, will read EBOLA (Everyday, Best, Oh so Lovely, Arko).
I wholeheartedly support the EBOLA banner - just like the suit you need wear when exposing said substance to the atmosphere.

….and you share this space with the missus @Mark1966 ? Wow, she must need nothing more than a toothbrush and comb ;)

My wife has the equivalent space on the other side of the vanity AND another small benchtop :)

Does she have any sisters?!?!?!?!?

Yes, two. One older and one younger - but both are taken [her younger sister lived with us for a short time - VERY confusing!]

...the cleanliness of @Mark1966 and yourself makes me feel like a slob. Having said that just a heads up, you've got some unsightly mould taking hold within your vanity drawer - towards the front nearest the handle - might I suggest professional folks with asbestos/ebola suits to remove safely...

LOL - confession time? I noticed the dirty marks (not mould) on the pics and cleaned them up immediately :)

Hey @Mark1966 where are the razors, other than the lone adjustable spied on the benchtop, stashed, e.g., where's the Weber live?