Sirius Coffee

So I gave it a crack after some very basic reading. Might have gone too hot, got to about 200°C inside the breadmaker.

Is the new ventilation hole a result of your coffee roasting?
The beans definitely look a dark roast
I imagine an air fryer would also work

Is the new ventilation hole a result of your coffee roasting?
The beans definitely look a dark roast
I imagine an air fryer would also work
I took the glass out, the new artistic design is all me.

Roast was beyond dark, charcoal. Tried again, turned down heat gun, manual stirring and stopped at medium roast. I'll try it in a few days.

My shed smells funny now.

I took the glass out, the new artistic design is all me.

Roast was beyond dark, charcoal. Tried again, turned down heat gun, manual stirring and stopped at medium roast. I'll try it in a few days.

My shed smells funny now.
Does the coffee beans smells like smoky gun power

Does the coffee beans smells like smoky gun power
A little, more like dark toast. Second batch might be drinkable. First batch went to the compost bin.

I'll try them out, but think I'll stick to buying roasted coffee. Might give Sirius a try.

I find the heat gun is great, but I don't think the bread machine helps. I use a stainless colander sitting inside a stainless bowl. It makes a good heat blanket around the beans, and provides another exit point for all the chaff. Keeping the beans moving around is critical, so as to avoid burnt tips and divots, so all your beans get roasted evenly. Though sometimes that's impossible, depending on how the beans are sorted.

Incidentally, the shed might be a bit confined for the job. I use the verandah, and even so, it's possible to get a bit high with all those fumes.

So the air fryer is out then, perhaps dry frying in the wok is not such a bad idea, especially if you have a wok burner
It's been done, but there is a tendency for the beans to end up pretty mottled, as they scorch on the surface of the wok without getting cooked all the way through. A marginally better (peasant-style) approach is to roast them on a shallow metal tray in the oven. You still have to keep a beady eye on the beans, but you get a bit more time to rescue them if things go wrong.

The air fryer might not be a bad idea (I've never used one) depending on how fast the air is moving, but I don't know how you'd get rid of the chaff. Easy to start a fire in there. :eek:

When I first started out with roasting, I used a popcorn machine (cut the lid off and use a tomato tin with the ends removed as a chimney). Even better if you add a potentiometer to control the heat. This method works really well for small quantities, but it's hard on the machine. I got through three of them before I decided the heat gun was a better idea.

but I don't know how you'd get rid of the chaff.
Didn't know chaff was an issue. I roast sunflower and pumpkin seeds in there for salads. The little bit of chaff from these seeds blows around. A thin single bean layer would roast quick and not require stirring. I might buy some green and experiment

Didn't know chaff was an issue. I roast sunflower and pumpkin seeds in there for salads. The little bit of chaff from these seeds blows around. A thin single bean layer would roast quick and not require stirring. I might buy some green and experiment
That might work, I'll be interested to hear how you go. But keep any eye on the chaff, coffee beans aren't like sunflower seeds. They give off a LOT (some people call it silverskin) as it unwinds from inside the bean, depending on where the coffee is from, the variety and how it's been processed. I wasn't joking about fires.

Don't try to do it too quickly, your ideal roasting time should be in the region of 14 minutes, give or take. Some roasters just stop a certain number of seconds after second crack, others adopt a fixed time and temperature profile. Half the fun is finding what works best for you.

I've only had Campos in a Cafe and it was a dark roast. I notice Woolworths stock Campos Premium blend so probably Sirius Mix'n'Match Coffee Option 2: Sirius Classic Medium Roast & Sirius Estrela Brazilian

I cannot speak for Campos but most of the ColesWorth coffee beans are stale in comparison because they have sat in warehouses and stood on shelves for many months, if not years. Which is really noticeable by the lack of oil when ground, and they are not cheap unless you get 1/2 price.

If you want quality blends and single origin try some of Coffee Snobs offerings or Coffee for Connoisseurs

They have a roast date on the pack though? I always hunt down a pack with a roast date within the last fortnight.

Woolworths might have an on-demand thing going on.

I haven't seen 'coffee for connoisseurs' before - thanks!

They have a roast date on the pack though? I always hunt down a pack with a roast date within the last fortnight.
Living in the big city you would get enough turnover to keep stock fresh. Maybe they send up North after a few months ;)

Living in the big city you would get enough turnover to keep stock fresh. Maybe they send up North after a few months ;)

hahah, well whilst we're at it, in Syd I've had a few people carry on about 'white horse' coffee.

Well, 1 - lucky I bought the 250g pack.

Best way to explain it, you know when someone might accidentally spill International Roast on the carpet at work? Then they use those paper towels to soak it up?

Imagine then someone rung out that paper towel into your cup. That is what white-horse tastes like.

I drink my coffee in long black form, but not even adding milk could salvage this mess.

** Sidenote, what machine are you guys using? I've recently indulged in a Delonghi Automatic gizmo, it is bang on for what I'm after.. it's the Dinamica Cappuccino (got it on massive discount otherwise I wouldn't have bought it)

Self grinds the coffee based on the setting you've chosen and just 1 press of a button.

... Sidenote, what machine are you guys using? I've recently indulged in a Delonghi Automatic gizmo, it is bang on for what I'm after.. it's the Dinamica Cappuccino (got it on massive discount otherwise I wouldn't have bought it)
I've had some good coffee from one of those. I also have a friend who makes disgusting coffee with hers, but I think that might be malice aforethought. I think she likes her coffee to taste foul. :rolleyes: So maybe there's a learning curve even with those machines... :unsure:

I've had some good coffee from one of those. I also have a friend who makes disgusting coffee with hers, but I think that might be malice aforethought. I think she likes her coffee to taste foul. :rolleyes: So maybe there's a learning curve even with those machines... :unsure:
If you’re coffee grinder isn’t clean regularly, can lead towards foul coffee taste

If you’re coffee grinder isn’t clean regularly, can lead towards foul coffee taste

Spot on, I use filtered water in my tank and clean the grinder out every week with a hot wash. It's really all idiot proof to be honest, which is probably why I love using it so much.

The only bit that takes time is dialling in the Grind (literally it's a dial you turn). A level 5.5 grind for the Campos beans is bang on for me.