Stuck razor handle!

Rhinehoth

... and these are a few of my favourite soaps.
In all my years of shaving, this has never happened before. The handle threaded nicely to the razor head but when I tried to remove the handle that’s when I had a problem. At first, the handle was coming out nicely but then it got harder and harder to unscrew. The handle started to tighten in reverse, instead of unscrewing and coming apart the handle was tightening to the head more and more. Luckily it happened to a cheap razor (Merica razor) and not to one of my dearer razors. Tossed the stuck handle and razor in the bin and lesson learned. Definitely not mixing and matching razor heads and handles any more. Here is a picture.
AUM9yZv.jpg

The scratch on the bottom of the handle is from the pliers when I tried to use force.

Last edited:
In all my years of shaving, this has never happened before. The handle threaded nicely to the razor head but when I tried to remove the handle that’s when I had a problem. At first, the handle was coming out nicely but then it got harder and harder to unscrew. The handle started to tighten in reverse, instead of unscrewing and coming apart the handle was tightening to the head more and more. Luckily it happened to a cheap razor (Merica razor) and not to one of my dearer razors. Tossed the stuck handle and razor in the bin and lesson learned. Definitely not mixing and matching razor heads and handles any more. Here is a picture.

The scratch on the bottom of the handle is from the pliers when I tried to use force.

Shame, it's a nice looking handle. Do you think thread was unscrewing from cap?

Shame, it's a nice looking handle. Do you think thread was unscrewing from cap?
It was at first, then the handle started to tighten to the top cap. The bottom half of the razor head is quite loose.

If you could force the turn, it may have stripped the threading on either the head or the handle, but could have potentially salvaged one or the other.

As a last resort I would cut most of the handle off, only leave about a half an inch, and crush it in a vise. Turn it a quarter turn and do it again, the aluminum will fall apart and leave the stainless threads intact. I wouldn't ditch the head.

Looks like the Yaqi Tile SS head on the SS Merica handle, not sure what the issue is there, but maybe the threads were different?

https://wetshavingclub.com/product/made-in-the-usa-safety-razor/

"A safety razor made in the USA. The ‘Merica Safety Razor!

This safety razor is Made in the USA with 100% marine grade 316 stainless steel."

https://info.hpalloy.com/fastener-g...er=3&msclkid=bdb5354a841a1d102b8557044cb03adb
"Fastener Galling - Stainless to Stainless Seizing
One of the primary reasons for galling is that stainless steels can be quite soft or sticky.

Food processing equipment and corrosive environments typically do not allow the use of anti-seize compound. Contamination of the system or washing away of the lube is problematic.

In our 35 years of experience, many issues start with 316 SS which has a low yield strength. Higher yield strengths allow for greater usage before yielding or deforming. Deformation is one of the first causes of seizing, as it can generate high heat concentrations."

What is Stainless ‘galling’?
Galling is when two threads bind together and seize. This seizing or ‘cold-welding’ happens as a molecular level and is common among metal mating surfaces with an oxide layer – like stainless steel. It can result in fasteners having to be cut away as un-threading is impossible.

When is galling on a stainless steel fastener likely to occur?
  • With larger threads of stainless fasteners, say M10 and up. This is because of a greater surface contact area, therefore more friction occurs in installation, causing heat and binding.
  • Nyloc Locking Nuts – the nyloc causes pressure between the threads, again causing friction.
  • When the thread is under load such as a turnbuckle for tensioning wire.
  • If there is dirt in the threads.
  • Installing too quickly with tooling set at too high a speed.
  • When the mating surfaces are of a similar hardness – i.e. a bolt and nut.

How do I prevent galling?
  1. Lubricate the threads. All stainless steel threads should be lubricated – ideally with a Nickel based lubricant such as Loctite 771 or PTFE based lubricant such as Tef Gel designed for use with stainless steel fasteners. A Lanolin based lubricant such as Lanotec is also suitable and also helps prevent corrosion.
  2. Remove particles and dirt from threads.
  3. Moderate the installation speed to a low rate of RPM. If the threads are lubricated, you may be able to install at a higher RPM.

Galling is not likely to be an issue with a razor handle where the motion is slow, no heat is generated and little torque is applied. Yes, lubrication helps, but I think in this case it's more likely to be an issue with incompatible threads (M5 vs 10/32") which can (but not always, depending on machining tolerances) result in a degree of cross-threading.

Stainless Steel hates itself!
I wish I had known that before I spent hundreds of dollars replacing every nut and bolt I could under my KK Karavan with the stuff.

Some early stainless handgun slides had a galling problem, stainless against the same stainless won't work, has to be dissimilar alloys.

Stainless Steel hates itself!
I wish I had known that before I spent hundreds of dollars replacing every nut and bolt I could under my KK Karavan with the stuff.
Use Monel next time, it's a super tough and corrosion resistant nickel-copper alloy. (they should make razors out of the stuff)

"KD Fasteners, Inc.® has the ability to supply your fasteners out of the exotic material of Monel. Monel is materially comprised mostly of nickel and copper with small amounts of iron, manganese, carbon and silicon. Stronger than nickel, Monel alloys are good to use in highly corrosive environments. Besides being corrosive resistant, Monel can also handle harsh temperatures and is a strong material. This allows this material to be used in a variety of industries because of its properties. Monel is used in aerospace, marine, oil, and drilling."

I've experienced threading tightness on some Chinese made razors.

I'm likely to think it may be poor QC on the threading of the top cap...?

I use a silicone based lubricant gel on razor threads every 3 months or so. Just to prevent any issues developing over time.