Synthetic Simmo's?

Mong.

doesn't care for Euro Palmolive
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical
There's a little bit of chatter YKW starting to happen over some pictures and comments posted on the Simpson twitter page. It looks like they've got some prototypes already made with a "synthetic badger" knot. I've never tried a synthetic, so I don't know what they bring to the party. Quite an interesting development though, I'll be mostly interested in how they are priced.

Link to prototype Duke photo

Second photo with more sample brushes

If they put out an affordable Colonel or Berkeley, I might be game to try one...

I think that your correct in us not knowing what advantage a synthetic brings to the field. Price, Quality of Product, Source of Product???
Would I buy one? That will depend on Price, reviews and looks.

As with boar and badger, I'm sure the basic properties of any synthetic knot would be pretty similar so, on that basis, I think I'd be more inclined to try an el cheapo version (I think Omega do them) before forking out on a full blown Simpson. Strange though. Not that long ago a synthetic brush was just not talked about. People that used them, and there are loads that do, basically got ignored. Now that Simpson is considering doing them I'm sure they'll suddenly be fantastic. It's got flavour of the month written all over it if you ask me. Why doesn't Simpson start doing boar brushes instead?

Last edited:
I think that your correct in us not knowing what advantage a synthetic brings to the field.

Durability and ease of maintenance are two that I can think of. With them not using natural hair, I assume that it wouldn't require as high a level of care as the Simmo that gets coddled so that it lasts. Supposedly they dry quite quickly too. Also, I guess some people want to be environmentally conscious. Think of the badgers! :laugh:

As with boar and badger, I'm sure the basic properties of any synthetic knot would be pretty similar so, on that basis, I think I'd be more inclined to try an el cheapo version (I think Omega do them) before forking out on a full blown Simpson.

Not sure about this mate. Omega's synthetic knots look a lot different from the Muhle Silvertip Fibre, and considering that Muhle claim to have developed that in-house and in two different grades, I'd imagine there would be some difference between them. It would be interesting to know if Simpson have developed their own or sourced it from somewhere, and if they're going to offer different grades like Muhle.

Not that long ago a synthetic brush was just not talked about. People that used them, and there are loads that do, basically got ignored. Now that Simpson is considering doing them I'm sure they'll suddenly be fantastic. It's got flavour of the month written all over it if you ask me.

I'm sure you're right about this. They're obviously reasonably successful commercially, as there are a decent number of different models available from different companies and they wouldn't keep at it if they didn't sell. There are some great reviews of the Muhle silvertip, but I guess a lot of people get put off by price and prejudice. I'd rather have a Duke 2, a nice boar, a nice horse and a nice synthetic than a 3-band Manchurian Chubby 3. When a small Muhle silvertip can be at your door for $35, seems like the hard asses should shut up and try one.

Why doesn't Simpson start doing boar brushes instead?

I'd buy a Berkeley in boar. Maybe I'll write a letter.

I saw a Muhle Silvertip synthetic today at the catch up. Used that morning and dray already. Soft fibres but lathers up a storm.

Even looks (from a distance) like a badger. I'm tempted now!

I'm not sure about this- just seems... artificial?

I guess if they have performance/longevity advantages I can see the appeal though.

I'm not sure about this- just seems... artificial?

I guess if they have performance/longevity advantages I can see the appeal though.

I've got and used for a while an old nylon brush. A little TOO scritchy (think brushing your face with a toothbrush) but worked very well in making a lather. The Muhle looks and feels very soft. With the quick drying thrown in it could make a perfect travel brush.