Talk me out of..

Well, the hard part is wanting it enough to want to do all that hard work.... A few times.

However, if you don't want to, as long as you have a strop and learn to strop adequately, you can get by with razors honed by knowledgeable friends or fellow forumites. Once you get a good, trustworthy razor in your hand, it really isn't that much work. I'd wager you put in the same amount of work into cleaning properly a DE, as into stropping and cleaning (so much easier to clean a SR than a DE) a SR.

However, here comes the onus of the question: why should you want to do it if it's not appealing to you? If it is because someone wants to convince you that SR's are the way, that shaving is so much better with a SR than with a DE/SE, well then that's no reason at all, because it is a flawed and, highly partisan argument.

well said.. I guess you don't really know unless you try and the only thing holding me back is fear..

personally I don't mind putting in the hard yards if it means a better result or experience but I just don't see how either of those is better with a straight.. still not convinced but we'll see I guess, maybe

well said.. I guess you don't really know unless you try and the only thing holding me back is fear..

personally I don't mind putting in the hard yards if it means a better result or experience but I just don't see how either of those is better with a straight.. still not convinced but we'll see I guess, maybe
It’s not objectively better, just different.
Personally I think the Artist club would be a good option for you to try, can just use a straight (or kamisori) without doing the blade maintenance.

It’s not objectively better, just different.
Personally I think the Artist club would be a good option for you to try, can just use a straight (or kamisori) without doing the blade maintenance.

you mean what's known as a shavette? I looked up artist club and found they are blades? but to be honest not really sure I wanna go down that path especially since finding the wolfman and Blackbird razors..

If you haven't purchased a timeless already the BlackBird is one you should really consider

Cheaper than the wolfman, but also what sets it apart is the positive blade exposure for an excellent level of efficiency, but paired with a small blade gap which makes it the safest DE razor I have..

of course it isn't as beautiful as a bronze timeless but certainly has its own charm and its the razor that has killed my search for the holy grail

I still long for a bronze wolf, maybe one day.........

A straight razor isn't for everybody, however, I had a good bit of fear instilled by years of "You'd cut your face off" and that sort of thing. However, realizing that men have used on for thousands of years made me stop and think, "If it was that bad, no one would have done it." Then, I remembered that Gillette was probably behind a lot of the propaganda because they wanted to sell safety razors. After that, I considered that I have cut myself, sometimes badly, with a safety razor. So, with a great deal of anxiety, I bought a razor from a professional razor honer who was thinning his collection. I watched a lot of videos and it really looked easy. I lightly and carefully laid the razor on the left side of my face and made a short stroke. Viola! It was a revelation! It wasn't scary at all, anymore. I still had to be careful, and I was, because I didn't have my skills built yet. In my first year I only had 4 weepers and I had one tiny cut that hardly bled at all. That's it! So much for scary dangerous. I enjoy the meditative quality that focusing on each stroke brings and the entire shave ordeal is a pure pleasure, so much so that I wish I didn't get such good shaves so I could shave twice a day like I have to do with a safety razor.

So, while it may not be for you, a healthy dose of caution is good, and you don't have to be afraid if you are gentle like shaving your baby.

you mean what's known as a shavette? I looked up artist club and found they are blades? but to be honest not really sure I wanna go down that path especially since finding the wolfman and Blackbird razors..

If you haven't purchased a timeless already the BlackBird is one you should really consider

Cheaper than the wolfman, but also what sets it apart is the positive blade exposure for an excellent level of efficiency, but paired with a small blade gap which makes it the safest DE razor I have..

of course it isn't as beautiful as a bronze timeless but certainly has its own charm and its the razor that has killed my search for the holy grail

I still long for a bronze wolf, maybe one day.........
I find the artist clubs shave differently to to shavettes with the half DE blade, just my 2c.
If ever you want to try one just let me know, I have a feather Kamisori here you would be welcome to borrow.

The blackbird sounds like it might be a contender… I’ll check them out,
As I’ve said I’m woefully uninformed on modern makers as I just don’t keep up to date and it’s to my own detriment.

A straight razor isn't for everybody, however, I had a good bit of fear instilled by years of "You'd cut your face off" and that sort of thing. However, realizing that men have used on for thousands of years made me stop and think, "If it was that bad, no one would have done it." Then, I remembered that Gillette was probably behind a lot of the propaganda because they wanted to sell safety razors. After that, I considered that I have cut myself, sometimes badly, with a safety razor. So, with a great deal of anxiety, I bought a razor from a professional razor honer who was thinning his collection. I watched a lot of videos and it really looked easy. I lightly and carefully laid the razor on the left side of my face and made a short stroke. Viola! It was a revelation! It wasn't scary at all, anymore. I still had to be careful, and I was, because I didn't have my skills built yet. In my first year I only had 4 weepers and I had one tiny cut that hardly bled at all. That's it! So much for scary dangerous. I enjoy the meditative quality that focusing on each stroke brings and the entire shave ordeal is a pure pleasure, so much so that I wish I didn't get such good shaves so I could shave twice a day like I have to do with a safety razor.

So, while it may not be for you, a healthy dose of caution is good, and you don't have to be afraid if you are gentle like shaving your baby.

cheers for the info.. never saw any anti propaganda Gillette commercials but 'the godfather' did it for me.. once i saw throats slit with them that was it for me until possibly now. In addition to your comments re DE shavers, i agree as not all DE shavers are created equal, but like all new skills they take time to get right and when you do its heaven.. I am now getting amazing shaves but it didn't start that way. Now I get no burn, no cuts and real BBS.. I always chase BBS, not sure why but I do and this is only achieved with 1-2 ATG passes

This what concerns me with straights, the fact that I know I will chase the BBS and that I need ATGs to get there and the potential for disaster that comes with that

I find the artist clubs shave differently to to shavettes with the half DE blade, just my 2c.
If ever you want to try one just let me know, I have a feather Kamisori here you would be welcome to borrow.

As I’ve said I’m woefully uninformed on modern makers as I just don’t keep up to date and it’s to my own detriment.

thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it.. just let me think on it as I dont wanna waste your time

I dont get the fascination with old school razors, I have two a slim and birth year 73 Gillette black beauty. I admire the workmanship that went into these razors, especially in a bygone era. Also love the nostalgia that comes with using them but IMHO they dont come close to the quality of shave you get from a precision made and well designed razor. I truly love my Wolfman but for me personally i reckon the BlackBird comes in at #1 (by a whisker)

but for some reason they are not for everyone. I think its the positive blade which gives you blade feel, personally i like it because it lets me know where exactly the blade itself is on my face, probably a little like a straight, and I can control the angle better than when I cannot feel blade. I reckon the trick to being successful with the BB is the lather. If you have a good lather to lubricate the blade feel you shouldn't have any issues at all. When I say blade feel, i dont mean any scraping or anything like that, you just know the blade is on your face and the shave with the BB is 100% smooth and comfy and the small blade gap comes into play to stop any cuts, weepers etc.

I had a timeless razor and although i liked it, it just didnt do it for me. Used to get some small blood spots when going ATG, but it was certainly a smooth shave.. Basically held onto it until the BB came along. Mind you this was a 95 gap, so if you going for a milder razor the 68 should be fine. Another thing i didnt feel with the timeless was the weight and hefty (large) head. If you go bronze the smaller gap (38 i think) I have heard is very mild, and the larger gap (78 I think) is quite aggressive and from what I have read, not overly smooth.. so do some research on these before forking out the big $$.. they do look amazing though for sure

I have read here that the slicker the lather the better but i would say yes, no and maybe to that. Yes you def need a slick lather or the blade will rub on the face but for me the lather also needs to have some volume as this gives me protection. A fine line between pleasure and pain, as they say. I like mine to have a Greek yogurt consistency (No Bias :D) rather than that it just dripping off the brush.

@Errol has written a positive review on the BB and @nav1 is fully in love with them.. If you need any more info on these feel free to ask away mate

Last edited:
thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it.. just let me think on it as I dont wanna waste your time

I dont get the fascination with old school razors, I have two a slim and birth year 73 Gillette black beauty. I admire the workmanship that went into these razors, especially in a bygone era. Also love the nostalgia that comes with using them but IMHO they dont come close to the quality of shave you get from a precision made and well designed razor. I truly love my Wolfman but for me personally i reckon the BlackBird comes in at #1 (by a whisker)

but for some reason they are not for everyone. I think its the positive blade which gives you blade feel, personally i like it because it lets me know where exactly the blade itself is on my face, probably a little like a straight, and I can control the angle better than when I cannot feel blade. I reckon the trick to being successful with the BB is the lather. If you have a good lather to lubricate the blade feel you shouldn't have any issues at all. When I say blade feel, i dont mean any scraping or anything like that, you just know the blade is on your face and the shave with the BB is 100% smooth and comfy and the small blade gap comes into play to stop any cuts, weepers etc.

I had a timeless razor and although i liked it, it just didnt do it for me. Used to get some small blood spots when going ATG, but it was certainly a smooth shave.. Basically held onto it until the BB came along. Mind you this was a 95 gap, so if you going for a milder razor the 68 should be fine. Another thing i didnt feel with the timeless was the weight and hefty (large) head. If you go bronze the smaller gap (38 i think) I have heard is very mild, and the larger gap (78 I think) is quite aggressive and from what I have read, not overly smooth.. so do some research on these before forking out the big $$.. they do look amazing though for sure

I have read here that the slicker the lather the better but i would say yes, no and maybe to that. Yes you def need a slick lather or the blade will rub on the face but for me the lather also needs to have some volume as this gives me protection. A fine line between pleasure and pain, as they say. I like mine to have a Greek yogurt consistency (No Bias :D) rather than that it just dripping off the brush.

@Errol has written a positive review on the BB and @nav1 is fully in love with them.. If you need any more info on these feel free to ask away mate

I really wasn't very happy with my one blackbird!
There was just something missing.
I felt as if I could have something more!

So, after much contemplation I bought another razor which makes me very happy.
It gives me the best shaves I've ever had and keeps my skin so happy.
A glass like BBS is guaranteed with it!

If I had to use one razor forever, this would be it!
RAD hasn't been killed, it has been slaughtered!

cheers for the info.. never saw any anti propaganda Gillette commercials but 'the godfather' did it for me.. once i saw throats slit with them that was it for me until possibly now. In addition to your comments re DE shavers, i agree as not all DE shavers are created equal, but like all new skills they take time to get right and when you do its heaven.. I am now getting amazing shaves but it didn't start that way. Now I get no burn, no cuts and real BBS.. I always chase BBS, not sure why but I do and this is only achieved with 1-2 ATG passes

This what concerns me with straights, the fact that I know I will chase the BBS and that I need ATGs to get there and the potential for disaster that comes with that
A straight razor that is properly honed will easily give BBS shaves without irritation once your skills develop. A true straight is more gentle than a shavette (which I also have). I don't know, but @rbscebu may have an inexpensive, already sharpened Gold Dollar he might sell you. I can't say. The steel isn't as good, but it is fine for learning.

I can say the same about the Vector. Or the Sabre. But again, they are not for everyone. :ROFLMAO: That's how it works...

so true.. thanks to the generosity of @Razor Burn I tried a vector but couldn't get on with it at all.. to me it was very draggy but not sure if that was due to light weight of titanium or its just me.. maybe the SS version would of suited more as I like some weight in my razors, but not game to spend the $$ to find out

I really wasn't very happy with my one blackbird!
There was just something missing.
I felt as if I could have something more!

So, after much contemplation I bought another razor which makes me very happy.
It gives me the best shaves I've ever had and keeps my skin so happy.
A glass like BBS is guaranteed with it!

If I had to use one razor forever, this would be it!
RAD hasn't been killed, it has been slaughtered!

your 'other' razor was the brass bird wasnt it? or did you go rouge and get another make?

A straight razor that is properly honed will easily give BBS shaves without irritation once your skills develop. A true straight is more gentle than a shavette (which I also have). I don't know, but @rbscebu may have an inexpensive, already sharpened Gold Dollar he might sell you. I can't say. The steel isn't as good, but it is fine for learning.

yeah I might go in for that pif and find out for myself.. in all honesty I cannot believe I am even contemplating a straight razor but there you go

the other concern is falling into a new rabbit hole :X3:

your 'other' razor was the brass bird wasnt it? or did you go rouge and get another make?

I sold that brass bird as the patina was splotchy.

I was thinking of getting another brass bird but then I had the opportunity to grab a baby bird!

The one with the 70mm handle, which I've wanted forever!

Now I have the standard bird and baby bird...my RAD will rest in peace ✌

For weeks I've been struggling against a growing conviction that my life will be incomplete without a SS Atelier Durdan Vestige, sandblasted SS with the Supérieur (++) plate. I've just pulled the pin and ordered it. Unlike their other razors, this one doesn't appear to be available in bronze, and the Vestige handle is reported to be just a little slippery, so the sandblasted finish seems to be a good idea. Given the current value of the Australian rupiah, it came in at an eye-watering price well into lycanthrope territory, so I hope I bloody like it... :nailbiting:

I think @Errol mentioned a while back that he had one of these on order (though I don't know which plate or finish), so it'll be interesting to see how we both feel about it... :unsure:

Unfortunately I saw some beautiful pictures of a Timeless made razor in bronze, anyone able to talk me out of getting one?
I currently own no modern razors so am looking to rectify this and would like to try something other than a stainless, I did have a karve for a while and while it was solid I did end up moving it on so I’m open to recommendations
As a previous owner of the Bronze Timeless in SB and OC I can relate but be warned that bronze may look nice when its shiny but boy is it a pain to keep presentable as the finish was a magnate for water stains! I own brass and copper and admire the metals as they patina but for whatever reason bronze leaves spots that take a bit of effort buffing out in comparison but YMMV.

The OC had way too much blade feel for regular use that it even put the R41 to shame and I recall Timeless rating it more efficient than the SS T95 version. Now I did enjoy the SB as it shaved closer than the 0.38 gap would suggest with performance and feel on par with using the Rockwell 6S with R3 plate so decent weight+/-balance and easily a daily shaver but much like the Rockwell, way too mild for my growth and expensive kit not to enjoy so sold mine + both plates off to a fellow P&C member who earned himself a bargain.

I was late to the Blackbird party having enjoyed the other razors from Blackland and agree 100% with @StratMan @Errol @Gargravarr @SpeedyPC @nav1 that you should consider Blackland as Shane is continuously innovating and offers great customer service to match his premium products!

I'd maybe hold out until our dingo dollars bounce back against the yanks fiat and keep an eye out as they often have sales and price wise its near what you can expect to pay for a Bronze Timeless if you went for both plates so something to consider...?!

I was late to the Blackbird party having enjoyed the other razors from Blackland and agree 100% with @StratMan @Errol @Gargravarr @SpeedyPC @nav1 that you should consider Blackland as Shane is continuously innovating and offers great customer service to match his premium products!

I'd maybe hold out until our dingo dollars bounce back against the yanks fiat and keep an eye out as they often have sales and price wise its near what you can expect to pay for a Bronze Timeless if you went for both plates so something to consider...?!
Blackland will always be the KING, I myself fully trusted Shane and his premium products! ..... However, I'm not getting the new Blackland adjustable razor as the handle really doesn't suit my style.

I was just looking at the dollarydoos to freedom fiat conversion and lamenting my failure.