The first cut?

bald as

ARKO! dealer & walking ECG
Why do you cut or nick yourself when shaving?

Many people seem to make a habit of cuts, and I do mean cuts, so what is the reason?
Technique, angle and pressure, is only a small part of the reason some people continue to slice and dice on a regular basis. I began shaving with a DE and basically hand soap as a pubescent teenager and managed to stay relatively cut free yet I hear of some guys who have shaved as long as I have turning their lather crimson on a regular basis.

What do you learn or what does it tell you about yourself if you are regularly causing weepers, nicks or actually cutting yourself.

Great question mate!

I don't tend to slice and dice regularly - my skin is as tough as boot leather I think!

When it does occur it is usually with a new razor in the rotation, or a razor I've not used for a while, and poor technique with a new tool reminds me why razors are different!

The other occasion is when I have a serious lack of attention for one reason or another - that moment when you feel the nick because you were stupid and did the wrong angle and/or pressure and paid the price.

Both teach me to respect the tool I have in my hand - its uniqueness and foibles - and to pay attention!

Feather touch & and don't dial the Adjustable up to high With 3 piece feather touch & blade chosen. Slow & Easy

I shave my head with a DE, the odd nick or slice is a relatively common occurance for me.
Most of the time its due to my carelessness (rushing, improper angle or... user error), sometimes its because I can't see the area I'm shaving (eg. the back of my head) as I only use one mirror.
Nevertheless, shaving is nothing if not the continual pursuit for finesse.

Now this is a good question bald as. I think it is similar to a firearm. As soon as newbies get the hang of traditional shaving they try to shave faster and then it seems they simply forget the fundamentals of shaving. One should never lose focus and respect when it comes to blades...

When we were deployed for election duties in one of our Provinces we stayed at a mine hostel and my room didn't have a mirror. By focusing on the blade and applying the principles of shaving I managed to get a proper DFS every morning for 5 days without any nicks or cuts.

To
Great question mate!

I don't tend to slice and dice regularly - my skin is as tough as boot leather I think!

When it does occur it is usually with a new razor in the rotation, or a razor I've not used for a while, and poor technique with a new tool reminds me why razors are different!

The other occasion is when I have a serious lack of attention for one reason or another - that moment when you feel the nick because you were stupid and did the wrong angle and/or pressure and paid the price.

Both teach me to respect the tool I have in my hand - its uniqueness and foibles - and to pay attention!
Totally agree with you Mark. I think you are 100% spot on.

* Technique changes - new razor (safety or str8)
* Inattention or distraction
* Incorrect loading of blade in razor
* The wrong shave angle of the blade to the skin...!!!

I think that some people don't have as high coordination skills (because of injury, disease or genetics) that is needed for good technique, and this would be a large factor for regular cuts. I can only imagine what it would be like to learn to shave with a razor again after a stroke?!

* Technique changes - new razor (safety or str8)
* Inattention or distraction
* Incorrect loading of blade in razor
* The wrong shave angle of the blade to the skin...!!!

I think that some people don't have as high coordination skills (because of injury, disease or genetics) that is needed for good technique, and this would be a large factor for regular cuts. I can only imagine what it would be like to learn to shave with a razor again after a stroke?!
Right on the money @filobiblic

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't cut myself too often. When I do though, it is because my mind has wandered and i find that my hand is just shaving away on auto-pilot.... That's when I might nick myself and get a little reminder to keep my mind on the task at hand.

The only time I cut myself is when I am using a razor with a sharp, square toe and it's usually on the lower neck where it's hard to stretch the skin!