The first time..

Well my starter kit from Mensbiz arrived today (not Menzone - that a whole different starter kit to experience).

Quick shower to soften up the whiskers and straight into it.

Wow ! It just felt so natural to do. I'd watched some vids and read up on angles but in the end it just seems to become second nature and you can hear and feel what works best.

I only went for a two pass as I want to see how my neck and the under ear jaw line responds as that's normally where I have issues. I also had quite a lot of growth as I tend to let it go over winter and clipper down to a number 2 when it gets too wild.

The Merkur 34c with a Merkur blade worked well and felt nicely weighted in the hand.

Was a bit disappointed the kit didn't come with a brush stand but I'm going to knock one up on the 3d printer at work.

I am looking forward to shaving again and aiming for a 3 pass next time.

Very happy hair free Scotsman !
Next on the shipping list - decent shave bowl. And maybe some more soaps to try...

Last edited:
Way to go mate! Glad to hear that shave number 1 went well. Wait till you try a decent blade! Did you get a sampler pack of other blades? If not, I'll send you some. Call it a welcome gift :)

Way to go mate! Glad to hear that shave number 1 went well. Wait till you try a decent blade! Did you get a sampler pack of other blades? If not, I'll send you some. Call it a welcome gift :)
Got the sampler pack and intend to work through it to find the ones that work best !

No worries. Never heard of Menzone so I googled it. It's a private back,crack and sack waxing joint in Sydney for men?? Maybe you meant Mensbiz? :whistle:

Congrats mate, much to build upon.
P.S., talking about the inaugural wet-shave and not your little flutter at MenZone entertainment. Hmmmm...

Congratulations on your first real shave and hope you will have many many more great ones!

He will be grabbing a jar of Latha from me in the next little while, so he will be able to experience what a real soap does.

Maybe if there is enough interest, I will push ahead with a group buy for the Fine Synthetic brushes.

Imagine him w/o these grooming efforts then...