The prep......

bald as

ARKO! dealer & walking ECG
I have been putting blade to face for a long time but I do confess to being fairly slack with preparation for my shaves.

So what is you preparation for your shave and is it the same all the time?

Either Shower and then shave.
Or no shower and so use a pre-shave (high glycerine/other style) with hot face cloth applied for a minute or two.

The main thing is making sure your facial hairs are very well hydrated.

I also face lather which is a form of preparation...

@khun_diddy I presumed that was part of the shave process so didn't include it.
although why you add an interloper (your palm) to the equation I don't know. I find face lathering much easier.

Shower

Dry (body)

Fill basin and Old Spice mug with warm water

Soak appropriate brush in mug

Comb hair apply deodorant

Open second drawer to contemplate soap choice.

Select soap or cream

Wet face

Remove brush from mug, shake off excess water and load

Face lather

Shave

Rinse face and dry

Wash brush and clean up

Open third drawer to contemplate aftershaves

Select aftershave and apply

Pretty much the same every time.

Last edited:
Shower

Dry

Fill basin and Old Spice mug with warm water

Soak appropriate brush in mug

Comb hair apply deodorant

Open second drawer to contemplate soap choice.

Select soap or cream

Wet face

Remove brush from mug, shake off excess water and load

Face lather

Shave

Rinse face and dry

Wash brush and clean up

Open third drawer to contemplate aftershaves

Select aftershave and apply

Pretty much the same every time.

Do you ever have time to actually leave the bathroom @Mark1966 or do you just start at the top again?

Do you ever have time to actually leave the bathroom @Mark1966 or do you just start at the top again?

5-6 mins from the time the second drawer gets opened as I've said before.

Might be a bit longer now given the extensive choices now in those drawers.

Shave before I shower so I use a face scrub to wash my face then a hot towel on the face(30secs in the microwave) and then a preshave such as proraso. Lather on face then shave. Being self employed I can take my time and enjoy.
20150703_091743 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

@khun_diddy I presumed that was part of the shave process so didn't include it.
although why you add an interloper (your palm) to the equation I don't know. I find face lathering much easier.

I converted to palm & paint when I got my S-Brush. You can't face lather with it. I've found that it's a very pleasant way to go.

Get in shower
Turn water on
Wet brush
Shake brush out

I'm with eggbert here. Kill 2 birds with one stone. Shower prepares the face and follicles, why dry my face and start again over the sink. Shower Shaving FTW!! :)

I'm with eggbert here. Kill 2 birds with one stone. Shower prepares the face and follicles, why dry my face and start again over the sink. Shower Shaving FTW!! :)
shower shaving is simply not an option for us on tank water, squanders too precious a resource. Different story I know for you mains-fed and centrally sewered battery hens ;)

For me it's a short, sharp (but hot) shower. Keep face moist and then either simply make us a cup of coffee - or apply some pre-shave (Myrsol or Proraso) that sits while waiting for the milk to froth and coffee to express. Then big whiff of my brew before that first sip which gives on last burst of steam before hitting the face with lather. Somehow a nice coffee has become an integral part of my morning's shaving routine.

BTW: no shaving for over 5 days here so far. Sick as with a critical strain of man-flu. I was told that I couldn't keep up the pace I was. Somehow the body knows best (well second only to the wisdom of te wife of course). Still on my arse but hope to shave (the face not the arse, though God knows it needs it) on Monday.

Last edited:
BTW: no shaving for over 5 days here so far. Sick as with a critical strain of man-flu. I was told that I couldn't keep up the pace I was. Somehow the body knows best (well second only to the wisdom of te wife of course). Still on my arse but hope to shave (the face not the arse, though God knows it needs it) on Monday.
Rest well and I hope you bounce back by Monday. Tough luck that it's man-flu. That's horrid mate, absolutely the pits.

shower shaving is simply not an option for us on tank water, squanders too precious a resource. Different story I know for you mains-fed and centrally sewered battery hens ;)

For me it's a short, sharp (but hot) shower. Keep face moist and then either simply make us a cup of coffee - or apply some pre-shave (Myrsol or Proraso) that sits while waiting for the milk to froth and coffee to express. Then big whiff of my brew before that first sip which gives on last burst of steam before hitting the face with lather. Somehow a nice coffee has become an integral part of my morning's shaving routine.

Hope you get better soon!

Back on topic: Wet face with cold water, wash twice with Occams pre-shave soap, face lather.

Generally I shower & scrub my face with what is called 'The Man Towel', a woven blue polypropylene thing. It starts off really harsh when you first get them bit softens up after a few uses. First time I thought I was going to take my face off.

I soap that up then rinse it out, gets rid of any nasties on it. Then I just rub it all over my face with only hot water. I wash my face with a cleanser then, currently I use the L'Oreal Men stuff.

I then shave straight after the shower. More hot water on the face, wet the brush and shake right out, and either load the soap or did the brush into the cream and bowl lather.